Amsoil XL7500 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with 4cyl and manual 5spd trans. Maintenance manual on these call for either 3750 or 7500 miles LOF's.

First oil change was at 3750 miles with Castrol GTX 10w-30 oil, Fram double-guard oil filter. Hwy mileage was 25-26mpg.

Just changed at 7500 miles with the Amsoil XL7500 5w-20, Fram double-guard Oil filter, and plan on doing 7500 miles oil changes. Hwy mileage jumped to 29mpg. I'm going to do a couple more full-tank fillups and double check the mileage. I might have made a mistake somewhere..

Anybody have any experience with this oil? And, should I maybe look at using a different filter?

thanks

[ February 09, 2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: rossn2 ]

My next door neighbors boyfriend has a 2003 Santa Fe and is running Amsoil 5W30 and he absolutely loves it. Though I can give any info on what kind of mileage he is getting as he has not told me. He also has the V6 in his, but I know he uses an Amsoil filter too and I believe one is available for the 4cyl. too. You could use the Amsoil filter if you like, in my opinion they are very good filters. Yes, a bit more expensive, but better filtration to me is worth the added price.

It's probably a combination effect of the 5W-20 and the engine breaking in, and perhaps some other variables changing that would lead to such a large MPG change. Do an average over several tanks.....

You might consider using a Baldwin filter for cost considerations, especially when you find out who makes Amsoil oil filters.

I used 6 qts of the XL7500 5W-20 in the old lady's Taurus. I got them for free, the engine didn't grenade itself to death, overall, I thought it was nothing special.

However, I would never pay for the XL7500, especially at $5/qt which it sells for locally around here. There are many other oils available which will give equal or better performance for a LOT less money.

quote:

There are many other oils available which will give equal or better performance for a LOT less money.

I think all of Amsoil's oils are of high quality, including these, but like you said, the price is the issue here. If they priced them lower, I think they would sell better.

quote:

the price is the issue here.

Exactly...

I would use Amsoil products IF they were more cost effective, and more readily available. I will not pay for XL7500 when I can get Motorcraft for ~40% of the cost of the Amsoil. I'd really like to try the TSO (S2K 0W-30), but it's almost twice the cost of M1, plus I can get M1 virtually everywhere. My engines like MC and M1, can't bring myself to paying more for equal performance.

You guys are pretty much correct on price. The sweet spot for me is the 15W-40 and the 5W-40. With the 5W-30 ASL and 10W-30 ATM close behind in value.

Readily available? I'm here almost every day, and some places it's on your porch in 1 day.

I would use a different oil filter. The Fram Double-Guard has the Teflon (PTFE) in it.
nono.gif

If Fram was all that's available, I might use the X2, but then it's too pricey. I'd probably just run a Wix or if you want a high efficiency Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Haley - I was thinking that....but I wasn't sure. Fram STILL puts that stuff in there??? Crap. What a funky UOA that might lead to!

Yep, I checked their website to be sure. That's the way they promote the Double-Guard. That would be my last pick of all their oil filters for that reason.

quote:

Originally posted by mountravlr:
You might consider using a Baldwin filter for cost considerations, especially when you find out who makes Amsoil oil filters.

Not to imply that they are the same filter media or exactly the same product. Champion makes AC Delco and others in addition to Mobil 1, but the M1 is built to totally different specs. Similar situation?

If I remember correctly, the Amsoil was around $3.80 a quart. I'm a preferred customer, so there's a discount. I also run the 15w-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Marine oil in my 04 Dodge 2500 HO Cummins, the ATF in the Transfer Case, and the Series 75w-90 Gear Oil (not made anymore).I believe they are not making Amsoil Oil filters anymore either. Amsoil is going with Donaldson filters, but that may be only for Diesel Engines. Also, I'm concerned that some people on DTR are having problems with the Series 2000 gear oil causing the rear end to grind or lock up from a stop and making a left turn. I've notived that noise a little bit too. So, I'm switching the Gear oil in frt & rear ends over to the Redline 75w-90 Gear Oil. I run the Redline MTL in the 6spd. I just received the Redline products in the mail and will be changing the Frt&Rear end and Trans oils this weekend. Dodge says change the rear over every 15k, so I figure, might as well do everything at the same time. Now have 27k on truck.
I'll have to look for a better filter for the Hyundai...It was a Fram or what's the other kind that Wallyworld sells?
Thanks for the info guys.

Tha Amsoil XL7500 is a good product, but the price is prohibitive. I can get Mobil 1 cheaper. Be sure to dump that filter though. A Purolator filter is one of the best for a low price. Fram has a history of issues that shouldn't be ignored. (Mine included).

At 15k I'll probably change to the 5W-30 ASL ord 10W-30 ATM and keep changing the oil every 7500 miles. Wish we had a PepBoys near Ft Hood for better filter selections. Nearest Amsoil shipment point for me is Dallas and I always get the stuff within 1-2 days after order. I just wish Amsoil could cut the S&H charges, that's my only gripe!

I used that in my civic before. It gave me the best highway mileage of any oil I've used so far. I got 41, the closest after that was Motorcraft with 39. Not much difference but I liked that amsoil, just too darn expensive when you include shipping. I'm not preferred and my cost was 6.60 per quart if I recall correctly. If I could get if for 3.80, I probably would still be using it, its excellent oil IMO.

>>>I just wish Amsoil could cut the S&H charges, that's my only gripe!

I understand your feeling, but the guys in brown won't work free. And their rates have gone up yearly for as long as I can remember (sort of like property taxes).

The AMSOIL shipping rates are, in most cases, lower than what you would pay if you brought a package into UPS.

I can't believe I'm saying this but if the M1 GF-4 oils fail to show good results, the Amsoil XL line migh have a chance. I'd rather have a Grp III with a very good additive package then a PAO with a bad additive package. G-Man's reports and Schaeffer's oil say it all.

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:
>>>I just wish Amsoil could cut the S&H charges, that's my only gripe!

The AMSOIL shipping rates are, in most cases, lower than what you would pay if you brought a package into UPS.

I recently bought one of those AMSOIL gear oil pumps and not only did it arrive promptly, the S&H seemed reasonable to me.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

quote:

I'd rather have a Grp III with a very good additive package then a PAO with a bad additive package.

Exactly....compare the specs. of Amsoil 5w20 to Mobil 0W20 and Amsoil starts to look pretty good. I do not know what it has for zinc & phosphorous, but I will bet it has significantly more than the anemic Mobil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back