Amsoil Signature Series warranty discussion

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil, does meet API specs
Yes, talking about amsoil flagship product Amsoil SS, it is not API certified. However, Amsoil OE does have API certification.
What you are referring to is Amsoil literarure in which they state that Amsoil SS “meets” API specification, not to be confused with certification from API organization.

All hypothetical arguments aside I have only ever seen one denial for warranty based on lubrication, the engine had massive sludge and no proof of any oil changes in almost 40K. No UOA necessary on that one, if the engine is relatively clean inside and has the correct oil level I never heard of the oil coming into question.
STILL this. Oil in good condition and no sludge, it's unlikely they will even bother to test viscosity since that costs money.
I wonder whatever happened to the OP. It’s been a while.
Indeed!

Plus, there's always the Amsoil warranty if needed.

STILL this. Oil in good condition and no sludge, it's unlikely they will even bother to test viscosity since that costs money.
Likely or not, if there is an engine issue and dealer starts asking for oil change receipts, if they want to find an excuse not to pay, they can refer to owner manual and state that its not certified by API as required in the manual. You can always get a lawyer and prove them wrong if you are ready to fight, or if you must use Amsoil, perhaps its wiser to use Amsoil OE during warranty period

Likely or not, if there is an engine issue and dealer starts asking for oil change receipts, if they want to find an excuse not to pay, they can refer to owner manual and state that its not certified by API as required in the manual. You can always get a lawyer and prove them wrong if you are ready to fight, or if you must use Amsoil, perhaps its wiser to use Amsoil OE during warranty period
Has anyone here ever posted such a situation? I don't remember it if they did. Or more to the point does anyone's owner's manual or warranty booklet actually state that an API licensed oil is a requirement for the new car warranty?

On my old 1MZ-FE the "sludge" extended warranty only required that you show the oil being changed once in its lifetime. No other requirements.

Has anyone here ever posted such a situation? I don't remember it if they did. Or more to the point does anyone's owner's manual or warranty booklet actually state that an API licensed oil is a requirement for the new car warranty?

On my old 1MZ-FE the "sludge" extended warranty only required that you show the oil being changed once in its lifetime. No other requirements.
I've wondered the same. I've considered using SS in the past, for reasons only lunatics like us on this forum would consider, but I'm not sure it is worth the headache if something were to happen.

r more to the point does anyone's owner's manual or warranty booklet actually state that an API licensed oil is a requirement for the new car warranty?
One example, Acura 2019 RDX owner manual:
“Premium grade 0w-20 detergent oil with an API Certification Seal on the container”

Cant get any more specific than that, they are stating that it needs API donnut.

Has anyone here ever posted such a situation?
I would think this is extremely unlikely scenario, but there are bad dealers out there looking to find any excuse not to pay. You can sue them, but who wants to get involved in a headache

I would think this is extremely unlikely scenario, but there are bad dealers out there looking to find any excuse not to pay. You can sue them, but who wants to get involved in a headache
And the bottom line is that even if it were a warranty violation, it would have to be determined that the oil was the cause of the failure. You and I both know that the Amsoil product is not going to cause engine failure. And even if it did then Amsoil would warranty the failure.

I've considered using SS in the past, for reasons only lunatics like us on this forum would consider, but I'm not sure it is worth the headache if something were to happen.
I think thats why they have Amsoil OE, avoids any warranty questions

And the bottom line is that even if it were a warranty violation, it would have to be determined that the oil was the cause of the failure. You and I both know that the Amsoil product is not going to cause engine failure. And even if it did then Amsoil would warranty the failure.

I agree, however, the way dealers work is that they do their own review of a warranty claim and their own investigation. They present their findings and state their determination of why they will not cover it under warranty.
If you disagree with their determjnation, you may need to pay for second opinion and possibly sue them. Some people would prefer to have it all by the book during warranty period.

Last edited:
A friend of mine with a 2009 Ram 1500 has a lifetime powertrain warranty and was using Amsoil SS when his engine failed at 187K miles. Obviously, it was not due to the Amsoil. It was something to do with an oil control ring though. The dealer asked for receipts for the last 3 oil changes and he gave them his receipts for the Amsoil SS, they did their investigation (for over three weeks) and then they gave him another engine. Not a peep about the Amsoil SS. Not even a question about honoring the warranty. Other than not having his truck for 8 weeks, it was relatively painless.

My 2018 Ford Fusion manual states that Do Not use any oil that does Not have the API Certification Seal on the container. I have five quart bottles of Amsoil SS 0w30 that i order a few weeks ago before reading this forum and now am afraid to use it. I have been using Mobil 1 for years but i was going to Switch over to the Amsoil SS because it is probably a better product than the Mobil 1 EP 5w30 that i use now. I read the owners manual after reading this forum and i was thinking any oil that said it meets SN , SM would be ok but i guess i was wrong if it doesn't have API Certification Seal on the container.

Thank you for reopening.

Hopefully intelligent discussion can continue.

It's been widely speculated just why Amsoil doesn't pay to get the certifications.

However it's also been shown that some of the additives exceed the limits for certain certifications so Amsoil knows they don't qualify.

It's been shown over many years that their oils do a great job, so worrying about certifications is wasted effort. [insert discussion about possible warranty concerns, AND Magnuson Moss]

Last edited:
If you are going to bump a thread that's over two and a half years old, you should probably add some value to your post by sharing that the current version of the oil in question, i.e. Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil, does meet API specs:

5W-30 (ASL): API SP (Resource Conserving), SN PLUS, SN…; GM dexos1Gen 2 (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M); ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Honda HTO-06; Ford WSS-M2C946-B1, WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A; Chrysler MS-6395; ILSAC GF-6A, GF-5, GF-4

Full page from Data Bulletin:

View attachment 80763

HTH

I'm sorry, but where in this Data Bulletin does it say that the oil "meets" any specifications? I only see Amsoil's recommendation to use the oil "in applications that require any of the following specifications". Am I missing something?

Back