Amsoil Signature Series warranty discussion

Unpopular opinion - supertech synthetic at the manufacturers recommended OCI will result in statistically insignificant differences in final engine condition at 250k miles when compared with amsoil or any other synthetic.

Amsoil sells you comfort and elitism.

Supertech sells you oil.

Everyone else is somewhere in between.

Originally Posted by BLND1
Unpopular opinion - supertech synthetic at the manufacturers recommended OCI will result in statistically insignificant differences in final engine condition at 250k miles when compared with amsoil or any other synthetic.

Supertech sells you oil.

So do you have any statistics supporting this statement?

From experience the most important thing is the oil meets specs and recommendations of the OEM. If it does the oil will not fail.

For the (LOW) price of Magnatec 5W30 full syn at Wal-Mart, combined with a decent filter like an Ultra (or even Motorcraft if you really want to suck up to Ford), for 5-7K, keeping purchase receipts and records, & given Magnatec's track record in Ecoboost engines-why roll the dice with SSO under warranty? When powertrain warranty is up, then experiment!

Originally Posted by Ford Owner Manual

Recommended motor oil (U.S.): Motorcraft® SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP WSS-M2C946-B1

If you use oil and fluids that do not meet the defined specification and viscosity grade, this may lead to:

Component damage that your vehicle warranty does not cover.
Longer engine cranking periods.
Increased emission levels.
Reduced engine performance.
Reduced fuel economy.
Reduced brake performance.

We recommend Motorcraft® motor oil for your vehicle.If Motorcraft® oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SN requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines. Do not use oil labeled with API SN service category unless the label also displays the API certification mark.

Missing Image

An oil that displays this symbol conforms to current engine, emission system and fuel economy performance standards of ILSAC.
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives because they are unnecessary and could lead to engine damage that your vehicle warranty does not cover.

There you go Emphasis Added

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
For the (LOW) price of Magnatec 5W30 full syn at Wal-Mart, combined with a decent filter like an Ultra (or even Motorcraft if you really want to suck up to Ford), for 5-7K, keeping purchase receipts and records, & given Magnatec's track record in Ecoboost engines-why roll the dice with SSO under warranty? When powertrain warranty is up, then experiment!

There is no roll of the dice as long as the oil is changed.

Originally Posted by Audios
How would Ford actually prove this with sampling? I highly doubt that there will be lubrication issues, but If they were to pull a sample, how would they determine its Amsoil, which by defaults should blow the MotorCraft spec out of the water, and secondly how would they determine that its not API rated?

Right....first they'd have to see some sludge or evidence the oil hadn't been changed. Then they would have to take a sample, send it to a lab (and pay) and wait for the results to be analyzed.

Originally Posted by Trav
All hypothetical arguments aside I have only ever seen one denial for warranty based on lubrication, the engine had massive sludge and no proof of any oil changes in almost 40K. No UOA necessary on that one, if the engine is relatively clean inside and has the correct oil level I never heard of the oil coming into question.

Right...totally right. Same here.

All that said, in a turbo/DI engine, if you plan to go more than the specified distance, then UOAs are in your future! You may find that you can't use SS to its full potential, or it may hold up. Can't tell at this point as I don't know of anyone that has done extended drains on an EB.

My 2003 Civic now has 220k on it now mostly using bulk oil from the dealers I've worked at, Supertech and a few times something 'fancier' when i've found it on sale. Still no leaks and doesn't burn any noticeable amounts. I'm a believer that just changing it at reasonable intervals is the best you can do no matter the oil.

Last edited:

Baloney!!...... says about one million TGDI/GDI owners.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Doesn't Amsoil have their own warranty? I woudn't want to test it though.

Amsoils warranty is to cover damage due to failure of the oil; It is not an extension of the mfg warranty.

Mobil warranty is about the same for their EP oils

This limited warranty covers the lubricant and critical engine parts lubricated by the lubricant. ExxonMobil warrants its lubricants to be free from defects and that the lubricant you purchased will protect your vehicle's critical engine parts from oil related failure.

"Free from defects" WRT the oil, and they will cover if an oil deficiency causes a failure; One might want to contemplate if a 7% fuel dilution from a DI car would be considered an oil deficiency; I wouldn't.

Measured approaches to safely extending an OCI is possible. But occasionally lack of understanding and hyperbole usually rule the day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Baloney!!...... says about one million TGDI/GDI owners.

The problem that arise with TGDI/GDI engines is overly frequent changing of oil. So I'd expect Amsoil, if a user actually uses the oil to its purported advantages, ie: for long(er) drains, actually to produce a considerably cleaner engine than one that had a frequent "diet" of "normal" oil. Or worse, a frequent diet of oil from a vendor, such as a quickie lube or dealer, which engaged in lubricant fraud (ie: adultering their supplies of "synthetic" oil with cheap bulk dino for example, to save on materials cost).

Bottom Line: Use Amsoil. .. Amsoil has made great oil for about 45 years. They have a good reputation. For them, in their SS line, forget the lack of API cert and use them if you want.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
A sample to Blackstone would result in a match between almost all known brands, potentially again, since this probably wouldn't even happen..

There is not enough accuracy or enough information with a $28.00 analysis to deny a warranty.

Originally Posted by BigShug681

Supertech sells you oil.

So do you have any statistics supporting this statement?

That's a fair statement he made. You don't need any supporting evidence.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
A sample to Blackstone would result in a match between almost all known brands, potentially again, since this probably wouldn't even happen..
There is not enough accuracy or enough information with a $28.00 analysis to deny a warranty.
Obviously, if the owner says he used Magatec or whatever, the extra moly, boron, and particular Mg/Ca mix in Amsoil would correlate with Magnatec or any other known oil that has the Ford WSS spec.
Maybe this will help you get this:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4554249/1/Amsoil_SS_5w30_new_formulation
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
The major misconception around here is that MM gives you license to do what ever you like, which isn't true. It says a manufacturer cannot require you to use their parts (Tie in Sales). So they can't say "You must use Motorcraft oil and filter" they can recommend it, even encourage it but they can't deny coverage because you did not. They can say you must use an oil which meets "WSXXXXXXX" or "SAE XXXX". The other one is that the manufacturer must PROVE the aftermarket part caused the failure, which is technically true, but in practice if they deny, you're up against a huge corporation with a legal staff. By the time you win, you will have spent a new truck on lawyers. Maybe you could get Amsoil in the boat with you...

It is highly unlikely this would ever come into play, but why open yourself up to it, just use one of the oils which actually meet the specification.

Exactly !!!!

Obviously, if the owner says he used Magatec or whatever, the extra moly, boron, and particular Mg/Ca mix in Amsoil would correlate with Magnatec or any other known oil that has the Ford WSS spec...

Where does Ford say you have to use their branded PCMO's?

Still not enough info since many oils have tracers or "tag" compounds, and other low levels of additional compounds.

If an oil has the Di and overall additive chemistry and viscosity traits to be equal to or to surpass say, the FomoCo oil, then a warranty cannot be denied, assuming the OCI was within the Owner's Manual constraints.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Welcome to the forum.

35.gif
If you want to run Amsoil and are concerned run their oil that has the API starburst and meets the mfg. specs. This is usually a hot topic here, with lots of opinions, sometimes arguments. Honestly my suggestion leaves no area of gray.

That's what I like about you.
thumbsup2.gif

oil_film_movies said:
Obviously, if the owner says he used Magnatec or whatever, the extra moly, boron, and particular Mg/Ca mix in Amsoil would correlate with Magnatec or any other known oil that has the Ford WSS spec...

Where does Ford say you have to use their branded PCMO's?
Ridiculous. .... I used Magnatec as 1 possible example, not Motorcraft. And then I said "...or any other known oil". What made you think I said Motorcraft specifically?
Could be you don't know the WSS-M2C946-B1 Ford spec is available on multiple brands(??), not sure why you would ask me that.

So keep arguing over something that's not likely to happen anyway. The odds of ever getting to an oil analysis are slim to none.

]

Originally Posted by Oil_Film_Movies
Could [it] be you don't know the WSS-M2C946-B1 Ford spec is available on multiple brands(??), not sure why you would ask me that....

OFM, what is the exact composition of PCMO's that adhere to the WSS-M2C946-B1 spec?

What I am saying is that neither the dealer nor Ford can deny a warranty, nor can the current owner prove anything with a $28.00 analysis, which is what you were (or seem to be) stating in previous posts.

Last edited:
Back