2019 RAM 1500 Classic 3.6L V6 @ 54,225KM - Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 @ 8,392KM - High Copper?

Hey Folks,

2019 RAM 1500 Classic
3.6L V6 Pentastar @ 54,225 KM/ 33,693 Miles
Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 @ 8,392 KM / 5,214 Miles
Filter: Amsoil EA15K19

Is the high copper as concerning as noted? Possible leaching from the oil cooler or similar? I've read here and other places that some copper leaching is normal during break-in, but both of these motors should be way past break-in though yeah? Is there something about Amsoil SS that results in the high copper? I mean I am trying to use good quality oil for better wear protection and engine longevity, not to wear out bearings!

I ask as in the second attached report from my inboard boat engine last year, I also saw high copper with Amsoil SS 5W-30
2021 Centurion FI23
Pleasure Craft Marine (PCM) ZR4 409hp, GM L96 6.0L V8 @ 364 hours
Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 @ 63 hours
Filter: Amsoil EAO15

RAM-1500-E-E-944604-Sev2.jpg

E910011-OILANA75031731 (1).jpg

My first impression is that you're using good oil (maybe try 0w-30) and that RAM (Dodge) motors aren't the most refined and that's not that bad.
You in Canada? How much idling does it do?

Check other Pentastar reports for wear trends. Blackstone is good for this (Universal Average) and you'll note there is higher Iron and Copper compared to other engines.

Example 1

Example 2

Your boat is new so it's probably got some leaching from an oil cooler.

Oil analysis is to find trends over time and it's hard to make a diagnosis in one report.

Take a sample from your boat at 200 hours next time and see how it's doing and make sure the oil is at operating temp during the sample.

@Nathan Thanks for your reply!! The manual and cap call for 5W-20 so I'm weary to change viscosity, esp as there is still remaining warranty on the engine. Yes I am in Canada, but near Vancouver so it doesn't really get that cold nor hot here. No out of the ordinary amount of idling, mix of city + highway 50/50-ish.

Thanks for the links to other reports, looking at Example 1 it looks like copper came down quite a bit after 15K miles, I'm at more than double that and still pretty high. Hmmm....

The boat engine had 364h at the time, so I figured this is way past "new" - OCI on this is every 50h - goes fast in the summer! I think partially because the sump is so small (~4.5 quarts) for the size of engine, and of the high load/strain its under (5k pound boat, wake surfing with 10+ people onboard, plus 5k pounds of ballast, running 3200 RPM @ ~11 MPH)

Good point on the UOA being about trends vs. a snapshot. I'll retest at the next OCI for both engines and see what I get!

Back