Amsoil signature Series 10W30 API SN Plus

my type r has already no problem with LSPI, so I think I can choose between
midsaps or fullsaps , API SP is no must have I think…
But the additives from amsoil looks good, very important is anti LSPI

So 'no problem with LSPI' but still 'very important is anti LSPI'? Would
you please explain that?
Granted, this Amsoil has a nice = rich add pack (B & Mo) and probably
nice = low Noack losses too. However:
Amsoil SS 10W-30 is a quite lowish KV100 at 9.99 cSt and I'd bet it isn't
a HTHS of 3.5 mPas. Wouldn't a fully synthetic C3 oil like M1 ESP 5W-30
or Ravenol VMP or REP 5W-30 or Redline 5W-30 better suit your needs?
With the exception of Redline they all come with reputable approvals,
which prove they're designed to meet the needs of high-powered turbo
DI engines. Highish HTHS of 3.5 mPas (M1) and even 3.7 mPas (REP and
Redline), super-low Noack losses and state-of-the-art additive packages.
What exactly does this Amsoil better? And wait, what does your manual
even call for?

You are right LSPI is not necessarily an issue with these Hondas, but it would be safer to have something against it if it is already there. With the conversion of the formulation to API SN Plus, the sulphate bag and the Noack have also improved. Unfortunately, I have not seen any good or better results with Ravenol oils to conventional products so far. The amsoil has an hths of 3.11, since ACEA A5/B5. Would you also prefer the mobile 1 esp 5w30 to the fs 0w40?

My manual says ACEA A5/B5 0w30 or 5w30. Manufacturer recommendation of Honda is the Honda Engine Type 2.0 0w20. whether there must be an hths over 3.1?

You are right LSPI is not necessarily an issue with these Hondas, but it would be safer to have something against it if it is already there.

I agree on that. Probably safer.

Unfortunately, I have not seen any good or better results with Ravenol oils to conventional products so far.

Have you seen any better results using Amsoil? Did you read kschachn's
contributions on the point of UOAs? Don't get fooled by the foolish drivel
you read on that German forum that dolorously lacks proficient expertise.

The amsoil has an hths of 3.11, since ACEA A5/B5. Would you also prefer the mobile 1 esp 5w30 to the fs 0w40?

I'd prefer M1 ESP 5W-30 over both its 0W-30 brother and FS 0W-40 mainly
because of its lower Noack losses, as I still believe this it's a major contributing
factor to IVD on any DI engine. If Amsoil SS 10W-30 is just 3.1 mPas HTHS I'd
definitely go for one of the aforementioned C3 oils, as a HTHS of 3.5 or even
3.7 mPas is more than likely adding protection and that's what you're seemingly
looking for, arent't you?

Here you can See absolutely amazing results With amsoil 10w30 /5w50 from Signature Series. Car was Driven offen With hard Track Tine on Theater Nordschleife.
Why do you think is that german Forum not smart enough? Why do you think They have no experience ?
Thanks for your report, i am a Friend of mobil 1 since 20 years… I believe i Must think about your Posts ..

Here you can See absolutely amazing results With amsoil 10w30 /5w50 from Signature Series. Car was Driven offen With hard Track Tine on Theater Nordschleife.
Why do you think is that german Forum not smart enough? Why do you think They have no experience ?
Thanks for your report, i am a Friend of mobil 1 since 20 years… I believe i Must think about your Posts ..
Now you’re just being silly.

No. I was a little shocked to read that. But I think I understand a little what you mean, even if I wouldn't say that the boys in the German forum have no idea, that's certainly not the case. But I received some good food for thought from you. Thanks so much

This is a lot of handwringing over something that seems pretty much decided. As @kschachn mentioned, strictly based off of what you're looking for, a C3 oil would fit the bill just fine. Castrol Edge 5W-30 C3 offers an HT/HS of 3.5, higher than the Amsoil 10W-30 in question. That, more than most anything else, is what's going to protect your engine. If SAPS isn't of major concern, since as you yourself said LSPI isn't a huge concern, Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is a good choice. There's also Castrol Edge 0W-40, which at least over here, can be found a little bit cheaper than the Mobil 1.

However, you seem pretty sold on the idea of running the Amsoil 10W-30. This isn't a bad idea, as it's a great oil in its own right. There's nothing that you've mentioned that would justify running it over any of the other oils mentioned, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Run whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy about putting your Type R through its paces. That's a cool car and should be a lot of fun to whip around.

Last edited:

I don't see any comparison to Ravenol VMP or REP.
This is a EA888 3G, hard to draw any conclusions for your Honda.
Owner claims to run it almost exclusively on track, but says also 'many Autobahn' miles?
Results with the Amsoil mixture are excellent, Rowe results are even better. (!!!)
Tough to say if conditions of both intervals are even fairly comparable.
I could proceed, but 'nuff said....

I don't want to say bad things about other forums. Just think about their
recommendations for odd mixtures and additives. You won't see that on
Bitog. I appreciate having another source for VOAs and UOAs (from which
I draw my own conclusions from as those I read there are idiotic most of
the time).

Mobil1 is my favourite brand of the majors. You can't really go wrong with
their M1 PCMOs. Imho M1 ESP 5W-30 is kind of their hidden flagship product.
Some time ago I've seen it offered in German online stores for ~35 € per 5 l,
what makes it a bargain.

Yes, the Rowe analysis was only better because she had half less mileage than the amsoil. Thus, the amsoil analysis was much better. Nevertheless, I thank you before your judgements.
Das Mobil 1 ESP kostet bei uns wirklich nur 35€ für fünf Liter. Ein sehr guter Kurs. Das FS 0W40 kostet in etwa das gleiche.

As kschachn alread pointed out a cheapish consumer analysis isn't even nearly
precise enough to draw any conclusion from claimed differences of just 2 ppm Fe.
If you run another analysis from the same sample it easily could be 10 ppm what
has been supposedly 4 ppm before. If it's 5 ppm Fe in one interval and 50 ppm Fe
in another interval there's likely a true difference, though there's still the question
if it's due to using a different oil. Without a controlled environment (rolling road)
you won't get valid results. This substantial miscomprehension is one of the flaws
of that German oil club forum.

As kschachn alread pointed out a cheapish consumer analysis isn't even nearly
precise enough to draw any conclusion from claimed differences of just 2 ppm Fe.
If you run another analysis from the same sample it easily could be 10 ppm what
has been supposedly 4 ppm before. If it's 5 ppm Fe in one interval and 50 ppm Fe
in another interval there's likely a true difference, though there's still the question
if it's due to using a different oil.
Without a controlled environment (rolling road)
you won't get valid results. This substantial miscomprehension is one of the flaws
of that German oil club forum.
For anyone who has done testing that results in statistically valid data, the whole notion of a UOA providing that is frankly laughable. Many people just do not have even a vague comprehension of what it takes to get usable data. It all makes for lots of Internet discussions and worthless speculation but that's where it ends.

To measure comparative wear due to the singular variable of the oil is quite a challenging prospect. A quick search shows many standardized ASTM tests including D5966, D6984, D7484, D6981, D8350 and D6618. Not surprisingly none of these comprise a $30 spectrographic analysis on an oil operated under tens if not hundreds of uncontrolled variables.

I can already follow your argument. So you mean that it is not possible for a "normal" person to have a wear analysis carried out without much money, which represents the actual wear and tear of the engine? You are welcome to explain how it is possible to have an "absolute" analysis created. Is that even possible? For me really new to hear that an oil analysis is not really meaningful... You never stop learning

I can already follow your argument. So you mean that it is not possible for a "normal" person to have a wear analysis carried out without much money, which represents the actual wear and tear of the engine? You are welcome to explain how it is possible to have an "absolute" analysis created. Is that even possible? For me really new to hear that an oil analysis is not really meaningful... You never stop learning
It's not "not meaningful" as there are many things that can be learned from a UOA. One of the biggest is to determine imminent failure or ongoing abnormal wear or to detect coolant or other contamination. Or perhaps find a defective air filter through high silicon numbers. When I ran UOA in college for our fluid power and automotive engineering departments that's exactly what we were looking for. It is a screening test for abnormalities. But never was it used to determine if some hydraulic fluid or engine oil was "better" than another in controlling wear. Wear analysis was performed on standardized test engines in a controlled environment and determined by a teardown and direct measurement.

By the specifications, licenses and approvals the oil holds or does not hold. If you don’t have any of those then it’s by the blender’s reputation and recommendations. Judging oil quality is a complex business.
You can be confident an oil made by a major oil company will be plenty good.

In a few Weeks the season will begin. In my Engine is actually mobil 1 0W40 fs. I am not sure what i should use in Future, in my Garage are any Engine oils Which i can use 😉

Back