Amsoil 0w30 SSO - One (1) year - 12,125 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 Chevrolet Express - 4.8 liter V8, 4 speed auto, rear wheel drive, 3/4 ton (2500). Ran Amsoil 0w30 for 12,125 miles (19,399 km's - I'm Canadian, eh - from about 85,000 km's to almost 105,000 kms). Van has Amsoil ATF in the transmission and Amsoil 75w90 Long Life Gear lube in the Rear Differential with at the time a stock paper air filter. Ran the oil from September of '08 to September of '09. This oil went through not only one of Vancouvers coldest Winters in many, many years, but also one of our hottest Summers we've seen as well. This van sees about 80-90% city driving, and lots of this is in stop n go traffic, some of it on windy hills up to high end houses in the British Properties of West Vancouver. Sent the sample to blackstone and I am quite frankly blown away by the results. Used an Amsoil EaO32 oil filter. Previous oil changes were Amsoil 0w30, and before that a few oil changes of Mobil 1 5w30 synthetic. Before that, conventional oil, so basically synthetic oil from about 55,000 km's on.

Aluminum - 2
Chromium - 1
Iron - 16
Copper - 16
Lead - 22
Tin - 0
Molybdenum - 12
Nickel - 1
Manganese - 1
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 3
Boron - 15
Silicon - 13
Sodium - 9
Calcium - 2964
Magnesium - 11
Phosphorus - 546
Zinc - 613
Barium - 0

SUS Viscoscity @ 210 fahrenheit - 60.9
cST Viscoscity @ 100 Celsius - 10.46
Flashpoint in F - 430
Fuel - Antifreeze% 0.0
Water% 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN - 2.5

There comments: "For an oil run one year and nearly 20,000 km, this one looks pretty good. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 8000 km's on the oil. As you can see, all wear except lead read around [these] averages, even though you've gone much longer on the oil. It's hard to say why lead is high; it may be from a particule streak through the bearings, which is temporary, or it could be some bearing wear. Oil filtration is excellent (see insolubles). Silicon shows good air filtration. No coolant/fuel found. Try 25k (25,000) km's next time. Nice engine."

I would like to point out that I think the reason for the high (compared to averaes) lead was because the place I had my oil changed at at some point previous helicoiled the oil drain plug without telling me, and that probably forced some shavings into the crankcase which caused a particle streak more then likely.

The most amazing thing about this oil is when I had it changed, you can't tell you have new oil in it, it runs good all the time.

What is the van used to haul? Are any of these heavy weight items? During the city portions are there allot of restarts?

Looking at the analysis as a whole it looks superb.

Nearly forgot was there any oil consumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you could probably squeeze 15,000 miles outa it,it would never do 25,000 miles not with a TBN of just over 2.

Nice run.

I am a little surprised that the add pack looks so weak for it being a premium oil.

Sorry, forgot to mention I added 0.25 quart of some Amsoil ATL 10w30 (didn't have any 0w30 for make up at the time, used 10w30 on my personal truck) at about 8400 km's, but honestly it hardly lost any oil the entire time. I think I was premature in adding that oil as I don't think I let it sit enough for the dipstick.

The van has proper full interior racks & roof racks (which do probably cost gas mileage due to wind resistance) with a small inventory. It doesn't haul that much in the grand scheme of things though - small inventory, the racks, lots of tools, the odd boiler or hot water tank, etc.

I wouldn't say too many restarts - some days you're at the supplier, or several suppliers, and may vist more than one job site, but the typical day is a few restarts perhaps?

Originally Posted By: daman
Looks like you could probably squeeze 15,000 miles outa it,it would never do 25,000 miles not with a TBN of just over 2.

In this scenario, you're really saying that it won't do 2 years. It made the ONE YEAR mark with leftovers.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

In this scenario, you're really saying that it won't do 2 years. It made the ONE YEAR mark with leftovers.

No...i'm saying Gary it wouldn't do 25k with anytime,time is no problem,i've ran oil 4 years before.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Nice run.

I am a little surprised that the add pack looks so weak for it being a premium oil.

Actually I'm not surprised at all. 80-90% city driving in cold weather, that is exactly expected. What I am surprised of is that the TBN and flashpoint stayed well within usable ranges.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

No...i'm saying Gary it wouldn't do 25k with anytime,time is no problem,i've ran oil 4 years before.

You don't know that in this scenario. While the oil may have indeed gone 10 years is not in question here. He did ONE YEAR. For him to do 25k he would have had to go TWO YEARS.

You never went 4 years and 100k miles on a sump. That means you can recognize that there is some factors that are or are not mile dependent ..and there are some factors that are or are not time dependent.

A composite, in some exchangeable manner will result in ONE YEAR or 25k being attained first. Your unique situation may reshape that envelop to some degree.

What would you say to me if I told you "That will never make 4 years"?? You would have an objection or two, no??

1 year or 35,000 miles. The oil made the 1 year and looked great , the oil was put through a brutal 1 year though the engine and driver did their part. I would be very happy with the results.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
1 year or 35,000 miles. The oil made the 1 year and looked great , the oil was put through a brutal 1 year though the engine and driver did their part. I would be very happy with the results.

Geeze boy's settle,,,,not bashing the oil,i use lots of Ams my self,just saying i go by miles ONLY for OC weather it takes 1 day or 10 years.

yes the oil did fine not question but with a TBN of 2.5 she's going down hill and the end is near for the OCI.

I would like to add that I am on the passive side of assertive driver if that means anything to you guys as far as how it might have affected my results. But I also do engine brake with the transmission coming down some hills as well to help the brakes last longer and reduce warping. I also think having a clean engine before you put the oil in helps, and having run synthetic in previous oil changes also probably helped my results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back