Mobil 1 AFE 0W30, 5074 miles, 2016 Honda HR-V

Chevron's Vartech was added at a 5% concentration and was in use for the entire OCI (not vetted for automotive use).

Haven't gotten around to taking apart the oil filter yet but will try to get it done next week.

Found it interesting how the fuel dilution has greatly improved since switching to 91 octane.

More previous UOAs of this engine, it's obvious which had 87 octane in use:

IMG-2634.jpg

Interesting comment regarding octane and fuel dilution. Fuel dilution gets discussed a lot on here but I don’t remember anyone mentioning that before.

A Honda owner buying premium when the car only requires 87 is an outlier in this economy.

himemsys inspired this testing as I see he posted about it in April '23 and my first sample with 91 was May '23.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.25.25 AM.jpg

Overall, the report look quite good. Its interesting that 91 octane would make a difference for fuel dilution on this engine. With this it being port injected and naturally aspirated, I wouldn't have expected a higher octane to do anything, let alone reduce fuel dilution. My wife's Civic has the same 1.8L engine, I posted a UOA here, it showed a similar fuel dilution to what you were getting before when running regular.

Interesting comment regarding octane and fuel dilution. Fuel dilution gets discussed a lot on here but I don’t remember anyone mentioning that before.
Here is some discussion on this topic:

Overall, the report look quite good. Its interesting that 91 octane would make a difference for fuel dilution on this engine. With this it being port injected and naturally aspirated, I wouldn't have expected a higher octane to do anything, let alone reduce fuel dilution. My wife's Civic has the same 1.8L engine, I posted a UOA here, it showed a similar fuel dilution to what you were getting before when running regular.

I've been told in the past the same thing you expected so it's nice to see more confirmation of the opposite.

@CivicFK2TypeR What type of fuel do you use in your 2008 civic?

I see in past UOA's you posted, the fuel dilution #'s look quite good.

0.8% after 12592 miles
1.8% after 5963 miles
0.7% after 6477 miles
0.7% after 5967 miles

Since he or she is from Germany, maybe only premium is available?

esso_IMG_1592.jpg

This UOA doesn't really show any heavy cleaning that would potentially raise the wear elements but maybe the filter caught it & will show in there once you get it chopped. Everything appears to be nice & low. Fuel is not bad at all at 1.2% on this report. Do you plan to increase the 5% after investigating the filter?

I hope the vehicle is cost effective otherwise, because having to run premium all the time to get acceptable fuel dilution numbers definitely increases the cost of ownership.

Otherwise, good report. The Vartech add is interesting, isn't that targeted at industrial turbines?

This engine is DI but not turbo, correct?

Do you plan to increase the 5% after investigating the filter?

I think so but it'll be at the end of an OCI as I'm kind of worried about seal compatibility - especially at the higher concentrations.

Chevron referred to these numbers as "excellent" compared to competitor products but to transfer the statement to an automobile is at my own risk.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 5.58.59 AM.jpg

I hope the vehicle is cost effective otherwise, because having to run premium all the time to get acceptable fuel dilution numbers definitely increases the cost of ownership.

Otherwise, good report. The Vartech add is interesting, isn't that targeted at industrial turbines?

This engine is DI but not turbo, correct?

Port injected.

Not sure how much truth there is but I've read this engine gets higher horsepower on a dyno when premium is used. There are lots of testimonials online saying the engine is smoother. I felt the same way after a few tanks so the additional cost is negligible compared to a more expensive car that would perform in a similar manner.

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 6.07.19 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 6.08.38 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2024-03-24 at 6.08.11 AM.jpg

So if this is a port injected engine, why was fuel dilution over 3% in the first place, even in warmer weather, and without much short-tripping? Is this normal for these engines?

I'd switch back to 87 with ethanol to see if the dilution returns.

There was no compliment there. Econ is stupid. Don’t use it.
Ah. I thought you were calling me dumb leaving econ on. "Leaving econ on was dumb." sounds a little different than "Econ is stupid." Still, neither sounds particularly well thought out.

Ah. I thought you were calling me dumb leaving econ on. "Leaving econ on was dumb." sounds a little different than "Econ is stupid." Still, neither sounds particularly well thought out.
Oh, I wasn't necessarily calling you dumb for using it in that specific post but yes, using it is dumb.

Back