AMERICANS keeping their cars longer

Guy is a mechanic and says he doesn't feel safe driving in it with 200k, give me a break. YOUR a mechanic, if it isn't safe, make it safe. Whats 200k?

The news is baiting that guy for that response.
200K is the built in obsolescence in newer cars. Start breaking out the wallet for upkeep.

Changed cars / trucks frequently when I was young and single. Slowed down a little early in my marriage. Now keeping vehicles long term. Sold a 1987 Ford F250 3 years ago that I had owned for 23 years, that only had 110K miles. Still have a 2005 Jeep LJ I bought new 18 years ago (now 151K miles). Also have a 2009 GMC Z71 I bought used 5 years ago (now 181K miles). The only vehicle we have had short term is my wife's 2021 Subaru Forester we bought new (now 26K miles), which replaced a totaled Suby, which replaced a totaled CRV, which replaced a totaled PT Cruiser. Only one of the 3 totals was considered her fault (the first one). Barring any future incidents, we will probably keep the current Suby as long as possible. Getting closer to retirement often dictates long-term ownership as well. JMHO, YMMV.

Guy is a mechanic and says he doesn't feel safe driving in it with 200k, give me a break. YOUR a mechanic, if it isn't safe, make it safe. Whats 200k?

The news is baiting that guy for that response.

I wonder if anyone has reached out to him with a free brand new Pacifica, Odyssey, Sienna or Carnival yet?

I don’t care much for owning a car past 10 years, start to get the itch and after 200k it does tend to start to have issues.

But it sure got expensive to change vehicles now.

I keep vehicles for a long time. These I still have.
2014 Mustang GT. Bought new in August of 2013.
1998 Chevy K1500. Bought new in May of 1998.
1998 Chevy K3500. Bought used in November of 2007.
1992 Cavalier. Bought used in 2006.
1970 Monte Carlo. Bought used in May of 1987.

I have no desire to buy anything new these days and the Mustang and both trucks have pretty low mileage for the years so they should last me many more years.

nota body man so that's when usually).
Plenty of under sprays each yr, good chassy, etc.

Motors, I might rebuild (250K mi +) if I like it.
motor ok? - do the rest. Body ok? do the motor.
Both gone, fergedidid-
Mileage means nuttin (if good vehicle). Age - same.

It’s tougher for us who live in the salt belt. I am the kind of person who prefers to keep a car a long time, but it was rust that forced me to get rid of my 2002 Chrysler Voyager in 2016.

My 2014 Chrysler T&C now has rust bubbles in the dogleg that I’ll pacify for a couple of years, but rust will be why I get rid of it, not desire for a new car. I also am holding out longer due to our younger three kids not understanding the van isn’t their garbage can. Once we get past that, I’ll be more interested in a replacement as well.

Funny how my 09 Camry with 238k miles has only a trace of rust on the lower door edges that is easily kept at bay. That was my car and is now my daughters. I’ve debated about that car getting a new engine or transmission should that need arise, as the body is in great shape.

Long story as to why I have the 19 Rogue, but that will be around a very long time, unless rust takes it away. My 2016 had no rust issues when it met it’s maker earlier this year. That was the first vehicle I started using Fluid Film on.

Rust is generally why I change vehicles.

Funny how my 09 Camry with 238k miles has only a trace of rust on the lower door edges that is easily kept at bay.
Might want to pull the wheel well liners. I found the rust monster lurking behind driver rear on my ‘11 Camry, and wound having to do so e repair. Traps the dirt behind it, they do.

When I was younger and before my wife and I had kids, I was switching fairly frequently mostly because I wanted to and enjoyed it. Of course after you have children your priorities change a bit hahaha but even the desire to switch cars frequently isn't really there anymore. I think inflation and all these insane prices are just the icing on the cake, every time I think about getting a newer truck I just check the prices and it helps me out :)

Reactions: wtd
Prices for new vehicles and the lack of cheaper sedans as an alternative have killed the average buyer.

Reactions: wlk
My first new car was purchased in March 1998. I just junked it this year.

My 2nd new car was purchased Dec. 2006--it's still in the garage and I love it.

My 3rd new car was purchased Sept. 2011--it's still my wife's DD.

Prior to the March 1998 purchase, I drove a 1979 car from 1990 to 1998.

All of the above is from habit. I ask myself if I got a new CX90 Turbo S, is this something I am willing to part with 60k for, and will I still have it in 2048? :unsure:

Back