Average new car price is $50K ? Insanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if the Chinese enter the market you will never see those prices again-IMHO.

We have the same prices…. Just adjusted for inflation. In fact, performance/content/options per $ is only getting better, as in: more band for one’s buck. I don’t see anything to complain about on this front. Now, that some people’s incomes lag (and have been lagging for decades) behind inflation is another subject

Ah, the art of trading in perfectly functional possessions to keep up with the rustling trends. How fascinating! Perhaps we should all start a 'Surface Rust Anonymous' support group to help people resist the urge to trade in their belongings at the first sign of oxidation. Imagine the meetings: 'Hi, my name is John, and I haven't traded in my car for surface rust in three years.' We could save so much money and become champions of patience and practicality. Who needs shiny new trucks when we can rock the 'Vintage Rust Cruiser' look? Maybe we're onto something here, a revolution against the automotive industry's rust-induced obsolescence. Let's rust-proof the world, one trade-in decision at a time!

What do you say? 😉
He owns an Insurance Agency. Presumably-he can write some of it off. Not wanting to keep it until it becomes cosmetically unappealing is not an unsound strategy in his line of work. I don't know if I want to see my Insurance Professional drive up to my home in a rusty pickup. But maybe that's just me.....

He owns an Insurance Agency. Presumably-he can write some of it off. Not wanting to keep it until it becomes cosmetically unappealing is not an unsound strategy in his line of work. I don't know if I want to see my Insurance Professional drive up to my home in a rusty pickup. But maybe that's just me.....
My son is a lawyer and he drives a Lexus. But it is 5-8 years old with 180,000 on the odometer. Nice car and noone know or cars about its age or mileage. This idea of showing success is great among lawyers and real estate agents. I'm a physician and couldn't care less. My best conversations are with my patients who are doing a resroration. One guy redid his early 60s Ford Econovan that he has had since his teenage years. Did it right.

Ah, the eternal conundrum of balancing appearances and professionalism. It's intriguing how the perceived cosmetic condition of a vehicle can influence our judgments, isn't it?

While I understand the desire for a pristine image, it's worth considering that an insurance professional's expertise lies in navigating the complex world of policies, not in the sheen of their mode of transportation. After all, you wouldn't judge a book by its cover, nor an insurance agent by the surface rust on their pickup.

Perhaps we should delve deeper into the realm of 'Cosmetically Neutral Insurance Provision.' Picture this: an insurance agent arrives in a well-worn, yet meticulously maintained truck, serving as a testament to their financial prudence and dedication to their craft. It's a symbolic representation of their ability to secure the best coverage for clients while minimizing unnecessary expenses.

Besides, an insurance professional's true value lies in their knowledge, experience, and ability to navigate the complexities of policies, not in their choice of vehicle aesthetics. So, let's raise a metaphorical toast to substance over surface, knowing that the expertise and dedication of an insurance agent far outweigh the superficial judgments we may be inclined to make.

In the end, it's the peace of mind and financial security they provide that truly matters — wouldn’t you agree?

My son is a lawyer and he drives a Lexus. But it is 5-8 years old with 180,000 on the odometer. Nice car and noone know or cars about its age or mileage. This idea of showing success is great among lawyers and real estate agents. I'm a physician and couldn't care less. My best conversations are with my patients who are doing a resroration. One guy redid his early 60s Ford Econovan that he has had since his teenage years. Did it right.

The appreciation for quality craftsmanship, comfort, and the driving experience can enhance one's daily life, regardless of profession.

A fine car can provide a sanctuary from the demands of a busy schedule, offering a moment of respite and indulgence. Its advanced features and refined design can contribute to a sense of luxury and sophistication, adding a touch of elegance to one's daily commute or weekend escapes.

Moreover, a well-chosen vehicle can also convey a sense of professionalism and success, which can positively influence business interactions and social engagements. It can create an impression of confidence and reliability, reflecting positively on one's personal brand and reputation.

Additionally, the enjoyment derived from owning a fine car extends beyond the individual. Sharing the experience with loved ones, taking scenic drives, or embarking on road trips can create lasting memories and deepen connections with family and friends.

I don’t see how being a physician, somehow invalidates what I said above

The appreciation for quality craftsmanship, comfort, and the driving experience can enhance one's daily life, regardless of profession.

A fine car can provide a sanctuary from the demands of a busy schedule, offering a moment of respite and indulgence. Its advanced features and refined design can contribute to a sense of luxury and sophistication, adding a touch of elegance to one's daily commute or weekend escapes.

Moreover, a well-chosen vehicle can also convey a sense of professionalism and success, which can positively influence business interactions and social engagements. It can create an impression of confidence and reliability, reflecting positively on one's personal brand and reputation.

Additionally, the enjoyment derived from owning a fine car extends beyond the individual. Sharing the experience with loved ones, taking scenic drives, or embarking on road trips can create lasting memories and deepen connections with family and friends.

I don’t see how being a physician, somehow invalidates what I said above

A lot of us joint care and don't need to impress anyone outside of the exam or operating room.

Ah, the eternal conundrum of balancing appearances and professionalism. It's intriguing how the perceived cosmetic condition of a vehicle can influence our judgments, isn't it?

While I understand the desire for a pristine image, it's worth considering that an insurance professional's expertise lies in navigating the complex world of policies, not in the sheen of their mode of transportation. After all, you wouldn't judge a book by its cover, nor an insurance agent by the surface rust on their pickup.

Perhaps we should delve deeper into the realm of 'Cosmetically Neutral Insurance Provision.' Picture this: an insurance agent arrives in a well-worn, yet meticulously maintained truck, serving as a testament to their financial prudence and dedication to their craft. It's a symbolic representation of their ability to secure the best coverage for clients while minimizing unnecessary expenses.

Besides, an insurance professional's true value lies in their knowledge, experience, and ability to navigate the complexities of policies, not in their choice of vehicle aesthetics. So, let's raise a metaphorical toast to substance over surface, knowing that the expertise and dedication of an insurance agent far outweigh the superficial judgments we may be inclined to make.

In the end, it's the peace of mind and financial security they provide that truly matters — wouldn’t you agree?
I would agree with your last statement. I would also state they don't have to drive up in a BWM or Mercedes. But I'm sorry...they drive up in a junker and I'm suspect. And I don't think I'm alone in this. This has been discussed (and beat to death) in another thread. I was in Industrial Sales-many drove BMW's and the like. I always had a late model Buick or Oldsmobile. I was a top performer in Southern California-no easy feat I may add.

I would agree with your last statement. I would also state they don't have to drive up in a BWM or Mercedes. But I'm sorry...they drive up in a junker and I'm suspect. And I don't think I'm alone in this. This has been discussed (and beat to death) in another thread. I was in Industrial Sales-many drove BMW's and the like. I always had a late model Buick or Oldsmobile. I was a top performer in Southern California-no easy feat I may add.

My posts were kind of in gest. I actually [still] find it shocking that a 3 year old truck can have surface rust, but I've never held a good opinion about American cars anyways.

As to someone arriving in junker car in the USA - yes, it is suspicious, I concur. But, just as well, to me, the harder, say a real estate agent (random example) smiles and the nicer car he/she drives, the more I suspect I'm dealing with an empty suit relying on throwing dust into my eyes, so to speak. I suspect this is one of the reasons you outdid others, in nicer cars, in a Buick/Oldsmobil. Generally speaking, as a foreigner, many years later, I still don't understand why the "cool cowboy" minting in staccato copy&paste cliché phrases is the preferred method of real estate agents and other salesmen types.

Reactions: CKN
Except 50K is not required. my 36K forester which has every bell and whistle known to man and AWD which was not dreamed of in 1970 would have cost 4.4K in 1970 and have zero bells and whistles.

Except 50K is not required. my 36K forester which has every bell and whistle known to man and AWD which was not dreamed of in 1970 would have cost 4.4K in 1970 and have zero bells and whistles.

True, but the its bones and chassis are that of an economy car. There’s a reason why equivalent Merc or BMW are 1.5 higher for base cars without seat warmers

That is also partially why subaru introduced the Ascent, as there's more you can charge for a 3 row SUV with the same bells and whistles..
Why people will pay more several times more the same bells and whistles in a pickup is a mystery to me, but its what's keeping Ford, GM, and whoever owns RAM afloat...
I assume RAM wasn't losing money in 2018 sell a crew cab SLT with 4wd 6spd auto and a hemi for the equivalent of $24-25k US, but that's what they went for at a high volume sales dealer then. Adding the luxury items does cost a bit more, but not nearly the markup they charge.

True, but the its bones and chassis are that of an economy car. There’s a reason why equivalent Merc or BMW are 1.5 higher for base cars without seat warmers
I'd honestly like to see Sandy Munro's group dissect every new car from every manufacturer. See what they are spending their money on, and put an estimate on what each would ideally cost to make.
There's a few items where the higher end cars use more expensive materials(alloy a-arms, maybe thicker glass), but specifically for subaru, VW their IIHS death rates indicate they don't skimp on body structure. They aren't Dodge, Nissan, or KIA, or GM and Ford's smaller cars and SUV's, where you can see they were built to pass the crash tests and that's it...

That is also partially why subaru introduced the Ascent, as there's more you can charge for a 3 row SUV with the same bells and whistles..
Why people will pay more several times more the same bells and whistles in a pickup is a mystery to me, but its what's keeping Ford, GM, and whoever owns RAM afloat...
I assume RAM wasn't losing money in 2018 sell a crew cab SLT with 4wd 6spd auto and a hemi for the equivalent of $24-25k US, but that's what they went for at a high volume sales dealer then. Adding the luxury items does cost a bit more, but not nearly the markup they charge.
YEs-but the Ascent sale numbers are barely acceptable. Might be better if supply change catches up. But they are running at 250,000 units-which is OK, but not a knockout by any stretch. I think it gives existing Subaru owners something bigger if they want it. But the KIA Telluride does better sales volume.

I'd honestly like to see Sandy Munro's group dissect every new car from every manufacturer. See what they are spending their money on, and put an estimate on what each would ideally cost to make

See the next best available alternative. Starts from 3:57 and goes for 60 seconds. You just won’t get anything like this on a Subaru or Honda or Toyota:

This is the only American car review channel that looks at the bottom of the cars to get you a perspective at the csr fundamentals instead of reading you an infomercial about list of equipment options, like most channels do:

I'd honestly like to see Sandy Munro's group dissect every new car from every manufacturer. See what they are spending their money on, and put an estimate on what each would ideally cost to make.
There's a few items where the higher end cars use more expensive materials(alloy a-arms, maybe thicker glass), but specifically for subaru, VW their IIHS death rates indicate they don't skimp on body structure. They aren't Dodge, Nissan, or KIA, or GM and Ford's smaller cars and SUV's, where you can see they were built to pass the crash tests and that's it...

And compare above bimmer to a Subaru. Starts at 8:15 and goes for 1 minute:

The difference is apparent, where the money goes. Would you agree?

Compare KIA Telluride, starts at 10:10 and goes for about a minute:

To Mercedes GLS, starts at 4:00 and goes for about a minute:

These are different classes of products, irrespective of bells@whistles, such as seat warmers and so on and so forth.

Many people on here seem to think that Mercedes means more bells and whistles, whereas it is about the foundation, really. One can have a base GLS with a lot less bells and whistles vs a nearly half cheaper fully equipped Telluride.

And compare above bimmer to a Subaru. Starts at 8:15 and goes for 1 minute:

The difference is apparent, where the money goes. Would you agree?

The BMW looks good for sure, I don't know if cast aluminum does anything for you on a DD, but its not in my budget anyways. I would argue that the newer subaru's and VW's are getting very close to the safety level of the good premium brands, for a good price. I gotta spend my bucks on other stuff, than cast aluminum suspension, and higher hp motors that prefer premium gas.

Compare KIA Telluride, starts at 10:10 and goes for about a minute:

To Mercedes GLS, starts at 4:00 and goes for about a minute:

These are different classes of products, irrespective of bells@whistles, such as seat warmers and so on and so forth.

Many people on here seem to think that Mercedes means more bells and whistles, whereas it is about the foundation, really. One can have a base GLS with a lot less bells and whistles vs a nearly half cheaper fully equipped Telluride.

What’s your favorite brand of cars/trucks ???
Just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back