Alternative to Gillette Fusion razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those picky about shaving cream, try this Edge Gel. Comes in multi packs at Costco and is at Walmart. Very smooth and non irritating. Just don't heat the container.
laugh.gif

9B42D3D2-CF10-4640-8D74-C08B75A30997.jpeg

34B4155D-35F5-4E06-8C47-7E83FDEEC7C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my feather blades in the sampler pack last night. Used it for the first time today. What a smooth shave. I have to say that the blade effortlessly cuts the facial hair without a lot of pressure. After the third pass I could feel the difference.

I'll rinse and dry the blade after each use and see how much longer it lasts.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
For those picky about shaving cream, try this Edge Gel. Comes in multi packs at Costco and is at Walmart. Very smooth and non irritating. Just don't heat the container.
laugh.gif

Indeed. This might happen...

Originally Posted by opus1
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
laugh.gif

Indeed. This might happen...

Prior to Cream is the answer
Proraso Shaving Cream, Moisturizing and Nourishing, 5.2 oz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0084GVSWG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_HvptCb7D7F7JR

Originally Posted by bbhero
Really true here..... Drying a razor out GREATLY improves razor performance and longevity... and keeping it dry too obviously.

Yes, that seems to be the best trick to longevity. Myself, I generally use a Schick Quattro, particularly when I'm shaving daily. I also have an old school Gilette Sensor. I find that and the Mach 3 are best on the head or when I've skipped a few days. Their blades clog less than Shick's blades. The Quattro Titanium blades are very good for longevity. I used to use the Shick Diamond FX, but that never took off and blades are nearly impossible to get. I used a Protector for a long time, and when it was discontinued I bought a grocery basket full of blades at fifty cents a package, around 8 years worth of blades.

As per askani's mention, I like the Proraso stuff, and also the Dove in the tube, but I'm always experimenting anyhow. It doesn't help that retailers can't continue selling a product I happen to like. My favorite of all time was the Gilette stuff in the tube, for price and performance, but that's long gone up here.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by StevieC
I have a Gillette Mach-5 handle but I have been buying knock-off identical blades that fit it from Ali-Express 20 at a time for $20CDN ($12 USD) because P&G charges a fortune and it's complete B.S.

Interesting. They make knock offs for the Fusion too. $12.52 for 16 of them so about 78 cents each.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/BAI...afety-shaver-blades-for/32790934301.html

The 12 pack on Amazon is $40 so that's $3.33 each.

Just for fun, I got a few of those. They're almost as good as fusion ones, but the lube strip doesn't really work and I think they last about as long or slightly less long than the originals. But I think the lube strip helps so I think I'm going to go back to the real thing, will just use camelcamelcamel to keep an eye on the price at Amazon for the real thing.

Like others have posted, if someone can buy a 10-pack of double edged disposables at the dollar store that last at least 3 good shaves per shaver, I'm not sure if I'm not just buying into the "consumerist" angle whether they be cheaper knock-offs or the almost engineered longevity of a full retail Gillette, Schick, etc. product.

A safety razor or disposables seems like such a better option if you're paying $25 plus for cartridges that don't seem to last much longer than the disposables. That's been my experience at least as someone not into designer shave gel with nano-particle emollients that provide no significant difference but costs 30% more. The rise of "shave clubs" ( without the cigar bar ) probably tells me everything I need to know....

Originally Posted by Vuflanovsky
Like others have posted, if someone can buy a 10-pack of double edged disposables at the dollar store that last at least 3 good shaves per shaver, I'm not sure if I'm not just buying into the "consumerist" angle whether they be cheaper knock-offs or the almost engineered longevity of a full retail Gillette, Schick, etc. product.

A safety razor or disposables seems like such a better option if you're paying $25 plus for cartridges that don't seem to last much longer than the disposables. That's been my experience at least as someone not into designer shave gel with nano-particle emollients that provide no significant difference but costs 30% more. The rise of "shave clubs" ( without the cigar bar ) probably tells me everything I need to know....

I can't use disposables like that because they are too rough on my skin and irritate my rosacea. I need a razor with a flexible head like the Mach-5 to effectively remove the hair without being hard on the skin and it also handles the curves better.

I find the Mach-5 works the best out of all the offerings out there. I just refuse to pay the extortionist prices to Gillette so I buy the knock off blades and get my Mach-5 at a disposable type of price.

Last edited:
I'm sure there are reasons why someone wouldn't use disposables or a safety razor for particular needs...but I guess beyond using the overpriced cartridges, there's also gotta be differences among the disposables especially. I hit on disposables that I found to be consistently better than some of the others and I just wonder if some experimentation would solve an issue like yours versus lumping them as being the same. I don't know...that's just a curiosity. In my experience, the ones that I use drag and cut differently than some of the others with better longevity but it's undoubtedly a YMMV experience....but one where it's closer to 25-30 shaves for a dollar that makes any of these cartridges pretty much moot if you can get away with it.

The ones above will last me 1-1.5 months before I need to change them and that's shaving Monday-Friday each week, I give my skin a rest on the weekends. But yeah I get what you are saying...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back