Alternative to Gillette Fusion razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap one dollar no name, old man "yell at clouds" two blade razor blades.

laugh.gif

53A81C84-BF19-4D56-A43C-A2A6B084D998.jpeg

I ordered the 4 blade Dorco from Amazon as some recommended here. 10 cartridges with 1 handle for $17.99 shipped. We'll see how they work out.

Originally Posted by gman2304
I ordered the 4 blade Dorco from Amazon as some recommended here. 10 cartridges with 1 handle for $17.99 shipped. We'll see how they work out.

If you like them check out ordering from Dorco directly. They run some ridiculous promotions.

Any love for shave secret shaving oil?

I use a either a Gillette or Schick de razor with Pol silver or feather blades. Absolutely te best shave I've ever had.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by IndyFan
Yep, I agree. Time to let Gillette go.

Why so?

I like Gillette.The guys in the marketing department are geniuses. First the Trac II. Then the marketing department added a blade, then another blade, then another blade. I'm not getting another one until they come out with the Gillette Nuclear 10.
laugh.gif

Wait, the Dorko 6 is already out!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by The_Eric

I use a either a Gillette or Schick de razor with Pol silver or feather blades. Absolutely te best shave I've ever had.

How long do your feather blades last? I've heard some people use then for 10 shaves before replacing.

The dorco and derby blades I have get replaced once a week since they are cheap enough. I bought 20 feather blades to try out. Just gotta wait for them to show up.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Saw these at Wally World. CDN dollars but still too much for older style blades.

Yeah I stopped buying blades that set of alarms a long while ago. Went the DE safety razor route.

My brother says he gets more mileage out of his by rubbing the blades against a piece of denim when he's done with it. Dries the blade and keeps it sharp.

I just buy the Ali-Express knock-off's because they are cheap and seem to last as long as the real ones.

Originally Posted by JC1

How long do your feather blades last? I've heard some people use then for 10 shaves before replacing.

The dorco and derby blades I have get replaced once a week since they are cheap enough. I bought 20 feather blades to try out. Just gotta wait for them to show up.

The feathers aren't my favorite but I usually go 3-5 shavings with them before they get too rough. I prefer the Pol silver - they seem to be sharper and smoother than the feathers but don't last much, if any longer.

Originally Posted by JC1

The feathers aren't my favorite but I usually go 3-5 shavings with them before they get too rough. I prefer the Pol silver - they seem to be sharper and smoother than the feathers but don't last much, if any longer.

Ya. Blade type entirely depends on skin/beard type as well as prep. I get about 6-8 shaves out of a feather but I shave in early morning, use shave oil and Proraso (aka C.O. Bigelo). Interestingly enough I get the worst shaves around mid-day regardless of blade.

I really think prep has most to do with it . I recommend all grey beards use shave oil as I read somewhere that grey hairs take longer to soften up and shave oil helps with that.

Last edited:
I've used a DE safety razor for years. I used a blade for an entire year once to see if I could. Now I use 2 a year. You just have to clean them and dry tem after every shave. Shave right after showering. I use lathered bar soap with barbasol on top. Bought a hundred pack of Dorcos for about $8 recently. They should outlast me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OTCW
I've used a DE safety razor for years. I used a blade for an entire year once to see if I could. Now I use 2 a year. You just have to clean them and dry tem after every shave. Shave right after showering. I use lathered bar soap with barbasol on top. Bought a hundred pack of Dorcos for about $8 recently. They should outlast me.

What do you clean the blade with? Just water and towel dry on assuming?

I'll give that a try to see if it works. I have the same pack of dorcos and Derby's. Waiting on the feathers to arrive.

That fatboy guy on YouTube was showing how he puts his blades on a magnet on his medicine cabinet. I can't do that but maybe I can macgiver a case to hold the blades.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips.

Originally Posted by JC1
Originally Posted by OTCW

What do you clean the blade with? Just water and towel dry on assuming?

I'll give that a try to see if it works. I have the same pack of dorcos and Derby's. Waiting on the feathers to arrive.

That fatboy guy on YouTube was showing how he puts his blades on a magnet on his medicine cabinet. I can't do that but maybe I can macgiver a case to hold the blades.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and tips.

Yes, just water and towel dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back