almost a junk truck? what to do.

I inherited a 2005 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4x4 truck with 235k miles it runs the tranny seems good the 4x4 works has some rust on the front bumper and a bed liner.

The issues are electrical you will be driving it and the blinker comes on by itself, ac works sometimes but now it's leaking a lot of fluid and the power steering seems to be gone or rack and pinion maybe? the leak seems to be in the very front. it's really hard to turn in either direction and makes a lot of noise when doing so forget about turning sharp feels like it will break . i have put about $500 into this truck on repairs already, i was going to sell it privately before this new issue.

I don't need this truck nor do i use it as i have two working trucks already, i was keeping it more for the sentimental value. I know that a family member paid $4k for it 2-3 years ago before they passed they didn't have it long so now i am paying tax on it for it to sit in my yard.

Should i try to sell it privately or just have it towed to a local scrap yard? I think they pay $600 for a scrap truck.

I would sell it privately to someone who is a good mechanic and knows how repair this type of truck. I sold my mom's Buick with 90,000 miles on it to someone who was very happy with it. The car needed a CV joint and a little tlc here and there. There's a buyer for every vehicle and some of these old Chevy's and GMC's have a cult following. One's man's junk is another man's treasure. GLWS.

Mileage is high, but depending on the rust...a truck like that needing a rack and pinion, AC repair, and some electrical work (if the rust isn’t too bad), I’d think would be worth $2,000-$2,500? Sold as is.

$3-$4k truck around here. Lots of people "need" the extended cab for their family and they "need" 4x4 for when it snows.

List it for your dream price then knock $400 off every week until it sells.

Do you live where there's rust? Safety/ smog inspections?

Advertise it as "needs power steering work and tinkering, strong engine, trans and body" then fill in the details with respondents. You will quickly figure out who's wasting your time, and who's serious.

I've never experienced a rack and pinion failure but that wouldn't cause a fluid leak would it? Maybe it's a hose busted i say that because it seems to leak if you try to turn the wheel.

It's also a 5 cylinder engine.

I've never experienced a rack and pinion failure but that wouldn't cause a fluid leak would it? Maybe it's a hose busted i say that because it seems to leak if you try to turn the wheel.

It's also a 5 cylinder engine.
I believe the truck would most likely be an 8 cylinder engine.

I5? not sure how the Atlas engines faired at high miles.

If you inherited it, the. anything over what you spent is “free” money. Just flip it and move on, if you don’t want it.

Mileage is high, but depending on the rust...a truck like that needing a rack and pinion, AC repair, and some electrical work (if the rust isn’t too bad), I’d think would be worth $2,000-$2,500? Sold as is.
Do trucks have rack & pinion? I thought they had recirculating ball. Maybe only in the bigger 3/4 ton and above?

Do trucks have rack & pinion? I thought they had recirculating ball. Maybe only in the bigger 3/4 ton and above?
The Canyon definitely has rack and pinion. Recirculating ball steering has mostly been phased out in light duty trucks. When varies from model to model.

I inherited a 2005 GMC Canyon Extended Cab 4x4 truck with 235k miles it runs the tranny seems good the 4x4 works has some rust on the front bumper and a bed liner.

The issues are electrical you will be driving it and the blinker comes on by itself, ac works sometimes but now it's leaking a lot of fluid and the power steering seems to be gone or rack and pinion maybe? the leak seems to be in the very front. it's really hard to turn in either direction and makes a lot of noise when doing so forget about turning sharp feels like it will break . i have put about $500 into this truck on repairs already, i was going to sell it privately before this new issue.

I don't need this truck nor do i use it as i have two working trucks already, i was keeping it more for the sentimental value. I know that a family member paid $4k for it 2-3 years ago before they passed they didn't have it long so now i am paying tax on it for it to sit in my yard.

Should i try to sell it privately or just have it towed to a local scrap yard? I think they pay $600 for a scrap truck.
Sell it privately. Say "a few minor issues, probably easy fixes".

Put it on CL for $2500 and come down $500 every 2 weeks.

Sell it privately. Say "a few minor issues, probably easy fixes".

Put it on CL for $2500 and come down $500 every 2 weeks.
Be a little more specific, someone who's done a steering rack (or watched a youtube of it) will pre-imagine success and be more likely to come knocking to look at it.

Sell it privately. Depending on body condition I am guessing $2500+. 4X4 has a price floor that is much higher than most vehicles in most places in the country. Some DIY'r will buy it.

Steering is hard to judge from the description. The leak sounds like the rack, but usually they don't cause it to steer hard, so that might be the pump. Still - rack + pump replace usually are not too difficult DIY job - but I am assuming you don't need to drop the front diff or anything crazy - each are different.

Back