Is it too much to ask that truck bed dimensions standardize?

Trying to find a used truck cap that fits is a giant pain. Even if it’s the right model the bed dimensions change slightly with every generation. I wish they all would just standardize, or at least not taper the darned things.
The keyword here is "used". If you wanted to pay the price for a new hard cover (approx. $1,000.00) you would get a perfect fit. Otherwise I would suggest a softcover from Amazon.

You have three different bed sizes generally, you have design changes every few years-your wish will never happen.

Your best bet is to find out what truck a cover came off of-cross reference that for a part number. Then use that part number to determine fit for your truck.

But yes running around with little to no application information is (as you are finding) an exercise in futility.

Last edited:
Hardcovers are molded to the exterior sheetmetal of the bed so they can fit snug to the top...heh snugtop.

Ditched the cap that came with my 02 Silverado and bought an amazon basics soft rollup tonneau cover thats listed to fit 14-19 Silverados with the 6.5' bed. Interior bed dimensions hadn't changed in decades and it fits my 02 with no issues.

What's worse is when your truck is all rusted out, so also are all the others and there'll be a glut of caps for sale. Maybe you'll get $50. Maybe you've got a new chicken coop. :D

Trying to find a used truck cap that fits is a giant pain. Even if it’s the right model the bed dimensions change slightly with every generation. I wish they all would just standardize, or at least not taper the darned things.

The keyword here is "used". If you wanted to pay the price for a new hard cover (approx. $1,000.00) you would get a perfect fit. Otherwise I would suggest a softcover from Amazon.

You have three different bed sizes generally, you have design changes every few years-your wish will never happen.

Your best bet is to find out what truck a cover came off of-cross reference that for a part number. Then use that part number to determine fit for your truck.
I believe the OP is looking for a truck cap (i.e., "camper shell"), not a hard/soft tonneau cover. A new truck cap is $3500 - $5000 depending on the style, features and color matching.

Standards are different now.

Back in the day, a universal look with the old aluminum camper shells made fitment easy. An 8ft shell was an 8ft shell.

Nowadays, everything is molded for a seamless look with the bed/cab sheetmetal, making them all direct-fit for specific models.

Kinda dumb that aesthetics took over an otherwise completely utilitarian device, like giving your clothes dryer or furnace a fancy paint job. But, that's the world we live in now.

Last edited:
Reactions: D60
Here is the reason for my consternation at the moment. I own two full-sized trucks with 6.5 foot beds. Years ago I bought a used fiberglass topper for my dad’s 98 Chevy. I have a long trip upcoming and would love to just pop it onto my 2017 Nissan Titan to use the bed for overnight storage.

As you can see from the photos, whoever designed the curved tailgate of the Nissan really messed things up for me. When the door of the topper contacts the tailgate there’s still 3-4” hanging over and a similar gap at the front. As it sits now the tailgate won’t open. I’m hoping that I can make it kinda work by adding a 1” spacer all the way around, but even that might not work because the indentation for the third brake light is probably too small. It’s all but impossible to find a used topper to fit a Titan so either I find something that kinda sorta works or I spend $2k for a new one.

86F56DF1-FD57-4D57-AD50-32F790BE83DE.jpeg
4595C452-ABF1-406F-B4D3-6D3A62E6E0C1.jpeg

Here is the reason for my consternation at the moment. I own two full-sized trucks with 6.5 foot beds. Years ago I bought a used fiberglass topper for my dad’s 98 Chevy. I have a long trip upcoming and would love to just pop it onto my 2017 Nissan Titan to use the bed for overnight storage.

As you can see from the photos, whoever designed the curved tailgate of the Nissan really messed things up for me. When the door of the topper contacts the tailgate there’s still 3-4” hanging over and a similar gap at the front. As it sits now the tailgate won’t open. I’m hoping that I can make it kinda work by adding a 1” spacer all the way around, but even that might not work because the indentation for the third brake light is probably too small. It’s all but impossible to find a used topper to fit a Titan so either I find something that kinda sorta works or I spend $2k for a new one.

View attachment 204852View attachment 204853
That looks like garbage.

Yes, it is a little much to ask for a truck from 1998 be the same as a truck from 2017 that's a different brand/manufacturer, let alone 4+ generations old.

Maybe just add a piece of black flashing under the front of the cover to keep water out of the bed? Looks like its pretty close to working if you slide the cover forward a couple inches to reduce the front gap a little.

Maybe just add a piece of black flashing under the front of the cover to keep water out of the bed? Looks like it’s pretty close to working if you slide the cover forward a couple inches to reduce the front gap a little.
If I move it forward the door won’t close against the tailgate. I have to lift it up too.

Yep. Move it forward. Consider whatever lift you need to clear the tailgate. Fabricate some sort of trim/shim to interface the lid with the tailgate. Bolt and clamp everything to make sure it doesn’t imitate a kite. If it were mine, that’s what I would try. It’s basically what they do with these pooched out tailgates now anyway.

Yep. Move it forward. Consider whatever lift you need to clear the tailgate. Fabricate some sort of trim/shim to interface the lid with the tailgate. Bolt and clamp everything to make sure it doesn’t imitate a kite. If it were mine, that’s what I would try. It’s basically what they do with these pooched out tailgates now anyway.
Maybe use some black plastic wood to build the lift and you can make a bit of a sill and drip edge if you need it with the cap centered.

Back