Alfa Romeo Stelvio - thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A local Jeep dealer has a loaded GC Trailhawk equipped with the diesel V6. My spirit is willing, but the bank account is weak...

We'll also have to warn you that along with impressing your neighbors and friends with your fancy Italian sports crossover, you'll surely meet that guy. You know, the one who spoils your conversation starter with horror stories about 1970s and 1980s Italian rust buckets featuring electronics with a mind of their own. In my case, it was my father-in law with the mere mention of the name Alfa Romeo…

What do you do here? Fret not, we're here to help you out. You can always give them the golden Alfa Romeo-owner or fan reply: "yes, but it has a soul". How can one argue with that? Or better yet, quote Jeremy Clarkson's 2008 review of the Mito, when he said that "owning an Alfa is a portal through which all petrolheads must pass if they genuinely want to know what it is that differentiates a car from a toaster or a washing machine". That seems to work most of the times.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/2018-alfa-romeo-stelvio-2-0t-q4-long-term-review-introduction/

Originally Posted by DriveHard
We'll also have to warn you that along with impressing your neighbors and friends with your fancy Italian sports crossover, you'll surely meet that guy. You know, the one who spoils your conversation starter with horror stories about 1970s and 1980s Italian rust buckets featuring electronics with a mind of their own. In my case, it was my father-in law with the mere mention of the name Alfa Romeo…

What do you do here? Fret not, we're here to help you out. You can always give them the golden Alfa Romeo-owner or fan reply: "yes, but it has a soul". How can one argue with that? Or better yet, quote Jeremy Clarkson's 2008 review of the Mito, when he said that "owning an Alfa is a portal through which all petrolheads must pass if they genuinely want to know what it is that differentiates a car from a toaster or a washing machine". That seems to work most of the times.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/04/2018-alfa-romeo-stelvio-2-0t-q4-long-term-review-introduction/

I've had random strangers make derogatory comments about every vehicle (or me while in/on those cars/bikes) that I own. Their unsolicited opinions matter not.

Or better yet, quote Jeremy Clarkson's 2008 review of the Mito, when he said that "owning an Alfa is a portal through which all petrolheads must pass if they genuinely want to know what it is that differentiates a car from a toaster or a washing machine". That seems to work most of the times.

He also did a sequence about this car on Grand Tour. From what I remember, he said it was the SUV he would buy if he didn't hate SUVs.

But, if the tests they did are to be believed, the AWD seems to overheat really fast if it's actually used. I'm guessing it's designed as a part-time system for road use and not for any kind of off-road driving. Also, it didn't compete in the towing test because it couldn't tow anything.

OTOH, it was the fastest around the race-track, of the three SUVs they had.

Well, she is in the garage now...got a great deal. I will write up some initial impressions when I have some more time.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels

"Buy what makes you smile..." great phrase...but I smile at a lot of weird vehicles...

So do I.

Originally Posted by yeti
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
I'd take a Mazda Miata any day over that hunk of junk.

You'd take a Miata over an SUV?

Well I would too but they're not exactly comparable, are they?

apples to elephants comparison.

I think Yeti was comparing the Miata to the Fiat 124 that was mentioned in the post immediately before his.
A new Fiat 124 looks like this and it is based on the same platform as the Miata.
I would also select the Miata given the choice.

download.jpeg

Well, she is in the garage now...got a great deal. I will write up some initial impressions when I have some more time.

Congrats! What sealed the deal?

I like odd cars as well...heck my DD is a 500 Abarth with a laundry list of mods.

I will get pics when I get it out of the garage this weekend. It is for my bride, so I am not driving it yet. I have it all shined up and ready to present to her tonight when she gets home.

I have it all shined up and ready to present to her tonight when she gets home.
Nice!

Can you be my Santa, too?
smile.gif

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Have not driven one but it is a very handsome car and imagine it drives beautifully.

Only thing I cannot get on board with is the Fiat and Chrysler reliability. My '12 Fiat 500 needed over $1k of work to be able to pass emissions when it had 68k on the clock and was only ~4 years old, it was only worth $8k trade in at the time. It was a serious burn because I had a '99 Plymouth Neon that had a must need repair list that cost ~75% of its value at 90k miles so I traded it in for $1800 when it was only 5 years old w/90k miles. In my opinion and experience Fiat Chrysler makes junk throw away cars unless you want to keep sinking $$$ in them, both products I purchased from them I bailed out before 100k miles because they were just rolling $$$$ pits.

The movie Money Pit would be an excellent representation of Chrylser, Daimler Chrysler and now Fiat Chrysler. Beautiful to look at and experience but overall just a steaming pile.

If you noticed, my DD is a 500 as well. What emissions work needed to be done on yours? Mine has been great so far!!!

68k miles - CEL for evap leak came on ~3 weeks before my registration needed to be renewed and I am in an emissions regulated area of Georgia where you cannot renew unless you have a passing emissions inspection. Went to my local Fiat Chrysler dealership and spent ~6 hours there for them to replace my gas cap and reset the check engine light, sure enough after ~80 miles CEL pops back on. Back to the Fiat Chrysler dealer and ~8 hours sitting around and wandering the local area they don't know what is wrong and recommend replacement of the entire gas tank and all the related lines to the engine bay. 14 hours for them to diagnose nothing and just propose replacing anything that may cause the issue. I had about had it with the horrific Fiat Chrysler service.......even when Volkswagen service was a dumpster fire in the early 2000's it was still much better than my 2 trips to a Fiat Chrysler dealer back in 2016. I just ended up trading it in for a Volkswagen and took the $$$ hit for the CEL light because I had better things to do with my time than sit around at a FCA dealer for hours and possibly end up with a costly expired registration ticket.

If the service was more competent I may have had it fixed, unfortunately around here it does not seem there is a decent Fiat Chrysler dealership. Despite that, for a 68k mile car to have that kind of failure when its history was road trips back and forth from Atlanta to Ft. Myers, FL is inexcusable, the fact FCA could not accurately diagnose the problem just sealed the deal. I loved everything about my Neon and 500 except for the reliability and durability, the multiple indifferent and incompetent service departments in both 2002 and 2016 were just icing on the cake. I'm going to be one of those people that in 20 years won't touch a Fiat or Chrysler with a 10 foot pole because I have been burned badly twice.

Originally Posted by yeti
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
I'd take a Mazda Miata any day over that hunk of junk.

You'd take a Miata over an SUV?

Well I would too but they're not exactly comparable, are they?

apples to elephants comparison.
a guy down the street has one, and bought his son a 4c for graduation. they love both vehicles.
vern -- what problems have you had with this vehicle, over how many miles? I will mention any issues to my neighbor. I mean, you must have driven one, for some period of time, in order to make such a comment. or, is this typical bitog keyboard bashing.IF it is, then your opinion means nothing.
anyone having REAL experience with one, for a decent period of time, please chime in, and tell us the issues.

vern sent me a pm, saying that he's ignoring me, for my above post. i didn' respond until now, as i've been gone fishing, and i don't log in, unless i'm going to post.apparently, I hurt his feelings.i'm sorry if I hurt your feelings,vern. you could have posted this on the thread.
a few others commented on his post, in a similar vein, as mine. #4941115,4942326,4940720,& 4940802.

there are many here,in the past couple of years, that have been offended by posts of others.maybe it's time that bitog started a trauma control team, made up of volunteers, to deal with this ever growing issue. it could be a 24/7 thing, to meet the needs of the sensitive/overly sensitive bitogers, and could make the odd hissy fit (that we see, from time to time -- not referring to Vern's pm), a thing of the past. in this day of social media, and PC, many are easily offended.
have a good day, all.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
If people get upset over some random post, how do they go through their daily lives?

good question, but i can't answer that. everybody handles situations differently.that's life.
back on topic -- o.p.--I saw the other thread, and the pics.that suv is a good looking vehicle. nice color, as well. I hope that the wife likes it.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
If people get upset over some random post, how do they go through their daily lives?

I think some people(on BITOG as well as other forums) are bitter and envious of other forum members- hence they post the oh-too-familiar "An XYZ car is garbage." comments- never mind that their knowledge of the XYZ brand is based entirely on fifth-hand hearsay.
In short, it's the sour grapes attitude writ large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back