Alfa Romeo Guila 2.9 Owners?

Anyone in this group own one? Have a chance to pick one up with every option, including carbon ceramic rotors. Ive driven a few, and they are cool cars, but every owner I've talked has had all kinds of issues with these cars. That 2.9 505hp V6 has me thinking though.....I work on cars if that means anything. Thanks

My Father had a normal Guilia with the 2.2 Diesel and it was quite a 'glitchy' car. I had to replace all the main relays in the drivers wheel arch twice because they were causing issues (cutting out or certain elements of the car not turning on etc). But mechanically it was generally sound and an absolute hoot to drive. Far better to drive than the ridiculously reliable F30 320d he had prior to it.

He decided to 'semi-retire' and sold it. Drives around in our Defender now instead, which is more reliable. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Anyone in this group own one? Have a chance to pick one up with every option, including carbon ceramic rotors. Ive driven a few, and they are cool cars, but every owner I've talked has had all kinds of issues with these cars. That 2.9 505hp V6 has me thinking though.....I work on cars if that means anything. Thanks
That's good that you work on cars, because the serpentine belt change is a 4 year / 36K (maximum) mile (in NON-dusty climates, is AZ where you life dusty? ) mandatory PM item (per the TM). Typical cost is $2K. You'll save a lot of money doing your own engine-out service for this item.

Here is what that looks like:
1701169428321.jpg

Last edited:
That's good that you work on cars, because the serpentine belt change is a 4 year / 36K (maximum) mile (in NON-dusty climates, is AZ where you life dusty? ) mandatory PM item (per the TM). Typical cost is $2K. You'll save a lot of money doing your own engine-out service for this item.

Here is what that looks like:
View attachment 190617
As typical here on BITOG, posted by someone who has never owned the car but is apparently knowledgeable on fixing it. No, it is NOT an engine out job,

As typical here on BITOG, posted by someone who has never owned the car but is apparently knowledgeable on fixing it. No, it is NOT an engine out job,

Cool, still costs $2K. Also, the Stelvio is more involved than Guilia, which was the car I was looking into. A little more research shows that just the front clip has to come off of the Guilia. There is still no way that an $80K car should have a mandatory 18k mile (dusty environment) to 36k mile belt replacement that MSRP's for $2K. Especially not making only 505hp.

Last edited:
HAHA, a little backpedaling now are we. I agree THAT belt maintenance interval and cost are ridiculous, but think that if nothing catastrophic happens when the belt lets go like with timing belts, most owners will ignore it. Maybe ask in the Alfa forums from owners of high mileage examples what that are doing.

What is going on with that serpentine belt. they couldn't just have it be on the front of the engine and easily replaceable?

Cool car. From the reports most of the issues were on the first two years of production. If you want the Euro version did come with a 6 speed manual for a while if you'd like to try a conversion.

What is going on with that serpentine belt. they couldn't just have it be on the front of the engine and easily replaceable?
That's still better than timing chains on GM 3.6 engines where you DO have to pull the engine to replace them. Or Audi V8s with the chains on firewall side of the engine where you not only have to pull the engine but separate it from the transmission to access the chains.

If you have to ask the question then you seem know the car, are aware of its' issues so the only question is; Do you want one enough and are prepared to deal with the expected issues and reliability? Me? For those looks, interior and driving dynamics I would. But that's me and I willingly trade reliability for fun...others won't.

Oh, price ceramic brake parts when you get a chance :)

Last edited:

Whatever the details, per the video you posted, it's still a ridiculously involved job for a serpentine belt . Even more ridiculous given frequent the factory maintenance intervals involved. IMO this is a car only fit for a short lease period so you can dump it before it's out of the warranty period. Oh, and have an extra car handy to use when this one is in the shop for repairs. ;)

Cool, still costs $2K. Also, the Stelvio is more involved than Guilia, which was the car I was looking into. A little more research shows that just the front clip has to come off of the Guilia. There is still no way that an $80K car should have a mandatory 18k mile (dusty environment) to 36k mile belt replacement that MSRP's for $2K. Especially not making only 505hp.
It is Alfa! You obviously never owned one!

Looks like a few hours in the garage.

That's still better than timing chains on GM 3.6 engines where you DO have to pull the engine to replace them. Or Audi V8s with the chains on firewall side of the engine where you not only have to pull the engine but separate it from the transmission to access the chains.
The QV has its chain against the firewall too. The serpentine is just a happy easter egg.

Back