Alfa Romeo Guila 2.9 Owners?

HAHA, a little backpedaling now are we. I agree THAT belt maintenance interval and cost are ridiculous, but think that if nothing catastrophic happens when the belt lets go like with timing belts, most owners will ignore it. Maybe ask in the Alfa forums from owners of high mileage examples what that are doing.
I already did. They change them on or near on time. Alfas are wierd and if that belt stretches you get issues.

The amount of compensation for other perceived deficiencies you exhibit in every post is becoming truly astonishing.
It wallowed like a Miata and throttle was very laggy. I bought an RDX instead. Same money. I prefer more BMW esque suspension.

Your continued attacks on my person are boring, why do you persist?

HAHA, a little backpedaling now are we. I agree THAT belt maintenance interval and cost are ridiculous, but think that if nothing catastrophic happens when the belt lets go like with timing belts, most owners will ignore it. Maybe ask in the Alfa forums from owners of high mileage examples what that are doing.

Pretty sure a certain BMW engine is known for getting ruined when the serpentine belt snaps. From my understanding it gets eaten by the timing chain after getting shoved in by the harmonic balancer? So best change it on time as a broken belt could be a big problem depending on vehicle design and dumb luck.

Pretty sure a certain BMW engine is known for getting ruined when the serpentine belt snaps. From my understanding it gets eaten by the timing chain after getting shoved in by the harmonic balancer? So best change it on time as a broken belt could be a big problem depending on vehicle design and dumb luck.
That is a symptom of (surprise!) an unrepaired oil leak.

Not really a belt issue, per se.

Curious as to where you get actual CCM compatible pads for $30 and $60??
Just checked Rock Auto. While they fit, I don't know how compatible they might be.

brakes.jpg

The N51,52,52,54,55 as well as N20 get ruined (maybe) bcs. two reasons:
1. Most common is absolute negligence! OFHG leaks and if not replaced ($37 for OE gasket, 3 e-torx bolts) it will start leaking so bad that oil will start dripping on the belt and eventually belt will snap. Balancer is too big, and belt cannot escape from it. However, that is if leak is neglected which takes some serious effort not to see it.
2. Belt is not replaced in time ($20 for Continental, few bucks more for OE) which is 60-80k miles.
To replace belt one has to remove air intake plastic hose (37 seconds), disconnect fan and pull itmout, and viola, move tensioner to service position. I would say, all together 30min, for first timer maybe an hour.

That CANNOT happen if vehicle is maintained properly and it is definitely not expensive, even if done at BMW.

Thou shalt not discuss BMW's in an Alfa thread. It's a law somewhere.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was personally captivated and fascinated by the Giulia for about two years and was just sure I was going to buy one, ultimately I decided not to spend that much but I still Alfa watch something fierce. Not real common in the Midwest.

Those that do own them tend to be passionate about them, that tells you something.

Cool car guessing a little more complex to work on/out.

An Alpha forum hopefully gives the details, good luck with whatever you do.

Thou shalt not discuss BMW's in an Alfa thread. It's a law somewhere.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I was personally captivated and fascinated by the Giulia for about two years and was just sure I was going to buy one, ultimately I decided not to spend that much but I still Alfa watch something fierce. Not real common in the Midwest.

Those that do own them tend to be passionate about them, that tells you something.
Alfa's are like jeeps. They don't really do anything amazing, but they feel fun doing whatever it is they do, and so a few dedicated people put up with all manner of nonsense (like pulling a front clip to change a belt) while the company closes dealership after dealership every month in the US. I found the same "person" on the Alfa forums as I do the Jeep forums. They don't really have great performance, but they defend the emotions associated with the vehicle and when you point out that you drove one, hated it, looked at the paper stats, saw nothing compelling, they get all hostile and defensive and then a few months later when they blow their engine up because the scissor gears in the oil pump (a 2.0L Alfa issue...) failed they slink off and don't post anymore.

Back