Alcohol use for the buzz, taste or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the taste of drinks that unfortunately happen to have alcohol. And the de-alcoholized/alcohol-free versions of those drinks taste awful. And the "light" versions that actually taste better than fizzy water tend to focus on calories and not alcohol content.

Never been drunk. (grew up in a heavily drunk construction/industry/army area)
Been buzzed couple times.
Like a drink here and there, but has to have some quality.

I drink beer every 2nd or 3rd weekend with friends and wine every weekend. As I grow older Im drinking less wine but better quality wines. Two people close to me are trying to give up drinking altogether, so it will reduce my drinking. I drink wine with my wife and beer/spirits with friends. Alone, I wont drink alcohol by myself. Definitely a social drinker.

Originally Posted By: UberArchetype
There is mounting evidence that alcohol consumption is very detrimental to your health .

This study is specifically looking at where the ALDH2 detoxification process has been knocked out, it looks at how alcohol could cause cancer if you cannot process alcohol.
Caucasians (and 50% of East Asians) roughly generally have two major isozymes which metabolise alcohol, of which the ALDH2 enzyme is one of.
So this study only relevant to 50% of East Asians who do not have the ALDH2 enzyme.

This does not takeaway from the fact that chronic excessive alcohol consumption can increase the risk problems such as cancer, liver damage in anybody.

My father who was an alcoholic came from a family of alcoholics. He gave me some of the best advice in my teens. He said anything that you try for the first time- smoking, beer, liquor etc.. and you hate it.. its bad for you. If you have to learn to like it then its an addictive substance.

I drank my fair share in college, then as a single man..then at parties.. i never once thought i was addicted, nor did i ever want another drink other than when i was social with friends. So perhaps there is a gene or chemical that doesnt allow me to become an alcoholic?

To answer your question- I like the taste of Holland and German beer. The skunky taste to me is wonderful.

The JagerBombs are a favorite among my friends.. they buy me and them shots with big grins on their faces.. it usually leads to a really good time with laughing and carrying on..

So i will say I consume skunky beer for taste and the energy infused deer blood for the buzz.

Originally Posted By: NGRhodes
This study is specifically looking at where the ALDH2 detoxification process...

Uh, no, that's what they found in a specific sub-group of the population. Maybe you missed the point:

Quote:
Working with mice in a laboratory, British scientists used chromosome analysis and DNA sequencing to examine the genetic damage caused by acetaldehyde, a harmful chemical produced when the body processes alcohol.

Of course it is most damaging when...
Quote:
...in some instances and in some people - particularly people from South East Asia - the repair systems fail to work, meaning their cells are unable to repair effectively.

There is mounting evidence that alcohol consumption is very detrimental to your health.

Careful with that one. Very modest, regular alcohol consumption improves lifespan and reduces all cause mortality. To make a blanket statement like "alcohol consumption is very detrimental to your health" is simply not true in all cases. In fact, that statement requires a condition to be true at all. It requires the word EXCESSIVE, and it requires a definition of the word based on scientific data.

Here is a graph of all cause mortality. Notice that one drink is the opposite of harmful with regard to all cause mortality.

j-curve-all-mortality.jpg

In fact, a man would have to have 4 drinks per day to equal the mortality of someone who does not drink at all. Remember, the number 1 killer of men is heart disease. Men die in droves from age 50 on, of heart disease. The cardioprotective effects of modest ethanol consumption are remarkably powerful. Furthermore, one drink/day does not increase the chances of death by physical accident.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet
None of the above. Use it in strict moderation for the lifespan enhancement and cardio benefits. Google "J shaped curve alcohol" and read up.

Some of these studies and their math aren't holding up to long term scrutiny, unfortunately.

My wife is in the medical field and she tells me that the amount of people on 'meds' is astonishing.
I like a few beers (IPAs are my latest favs), a little red wine or even an occasional scotch or vodka.....I find a few drinks relaxing and believe it to be far better than prescription drugs.

I once read that the definition of an alcoholic is when alcohol negatively affects your life and so far that hasn't been the case because I have a good amount of self-control. If someone can't control their drinking they probably shouldn't be drinking.

PS: I once had a boss who said "I never trust a guy who won't have a beer with me".....I thought it funny....

I do enjoy the taste. But in general a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 will last from a year to 18 months. At nearly 74 I don't feel that's putting me at risk. Generally speaking I just have a straight shot its that other C rap that will hurt you. Never more than 1 shot!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Same thing has been happening with marijuana. It's equal to booze in it's detrimental effects and is also propped up as some sort of "harmless" and "natural" drug for the masses. It's not.

You are a seriously misinformed individual if you believe listing pot as Schedule-1 under the U.S. Controlled Substances Act constitutes "propping up."

I am talking about government-codified propping up - not the ramblings of misinformed, brainwashed alcoholics.

I don't have a clue why you are attacking me. I made no claims about any government being involved...and simply used the term "propping up" to describe the current popular culture that makes excuses and spreads lies about marijuana.

And as for you comment about misinformed alcoholics? I do trust you aren't referring to me, because I drink about five drinks per calendar year.

Now go calm down.

I'm waiting to see how it pans out for health--I've heard of the J curve, and read that it is under scrutiny. I just saw something this morning about the cancer risk; not sure if it's a matter of balancing cancer vs heart risk. As always, more studies are needed...

Personally I do enjoy a few drinks, but with a need for weight loss I've cut back this year. Used to love beer but these days it's too sweet for me. However I'm starting to like NA beer, and have started keeping some around. Wine is my drink of choice. I enjoy the taste, the buzz and activity: reading with a glass of wine is a nice way to wind the day down.

Hard liquor, eh, too easy to have too much in my experience. I dislike any habit which has an impact on the following day.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I hate the taste of alcohol. I do not know how many people can drink beer. Its awful. Harder stuff just burns my mouth.

I take 1 shot of Whisky a year. We go to a small tourist trap of a town and the only place that has a toilet is the bar but its for paying customers only. So I buy 1 shot,drink it down and head to the bathroom.
That would work for me !!

Beer tastes good. Said that the first time I tried it and well, I still drink it frequently. I find wine gross and can't drink it. Jack & cokes are so nasty (and bad for you), straight Jack is drinkable with enough practice if you really want to get drunk fast, but the big bottle I bought months ago is finally empty and I'm not buying more - sticking with beer here on out. I usually have both Lagunitas IPA and Blue Moon Belgian White well stocked in the refrigerator.

Beer is like coffee to me - I drink it for effect and taste, not just one or the other. That said, while I'm definitely caffeine/coffee dependent and suffer from withdrawals if I don't have it on a daily basis, I am fine without a drink for a week or more so no worries about alcholism there.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I am not a drinker. Been drunk once in my life at 22 to see what it was like. Not Good!
I don't really like the taste and it gives me heartburn.
How about you?

Oh definitely the taste. Ethanol has such a pleasing, nuanced burning sensation on the tongue and esophagus.
lol.gif

I'll have a beer or two, or maybe a mixed drink, in social situations with friends or when celebrating. Never been drunk and don't particularly want to find out what it's like.

But often I'm driving myself or others so I don't drink at all on those occasions. I don't need to drink or feel buzzed to have a good time as long as I'm with people I care about.

Beer, for both the buzz and the taste. I like super cheap, cruddy American light beer. None of the heavy IPA's or dark beers. Cant stand craft beers.

Not much for wine, but I'll have a glass or two on occasions, some of it isn't bad. No interest in doing shots or mixed drinks. I find most of them awful. How people can do shots of Jack Daniels, or drink Jack & coke... ugh. Cant stand the stuff. On that note I drink Bud Light and Natty Light, so I figure I have NO room to pick on other's tastes in alcoholic drinks.

Both parents were alcoholics, and one of my siblings is sadly quickly headed that way. I've seen, and am seeing, the effects, its not good. Its actually really, really bad. I was a pretty heavy and frequent (beer) drinker for a couple years back in the college age days, but that nonsense tapered off pretty quickly. That was about the time my parents descended into alcoholism and that was a serious eye opener.

Anymore very rarely I'll have one or two a Sunday if we are cooking out or something, I can take it or leave it, but usually not because after one or two I'll be too full to enjoy whatever I'm grilling. Neither my wife nor I drink at all during the work week. But I will coyly admit that we will have a few too many beers on a Friday or Saturday night maybe a weekend or two a month, like if we are seeing local bands in a bar with friends, or going to a concert or festival, sitting out back in the hot tub, whatever. As long as we have safe passage home, or are already home, a beer buzz every now and then, sure why not. (Thats a rhetorical 'why not', not a literal 'why not'. I'm not convinced any amount of alcohol is good for you, but I am open minded to the studies that suggest some benefit in certain circumstances.)

But no liquor, mixed drinks or fancy craft beers. Yuck. Or drinking during the work week, I dont need or want it. No problems with people who do though. Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back