Air New Zealand asking to weigh passengers before boarding

Doesn't sound like a requirement, but it does seem somewhat awkward even if it is supposed to be anonymized.

Doesn't sound like a requirement, but it does seem somewhat awkward even if it is supposed to be anonymized.

Maybe the first step to slowly have customers pay a "per pound" fuel surcharge. Introduce the weighing as a safety requirement for fuel calculations,condition the public to prevent initial reaction outrage, and thus begins a per pound passenger fuel surcharge.

Pilots are responsible for the weight and distribution on the aircraft. I assume they have been using averages and standard calculations but people are getting fatter and fatter. I think GON has a good point.

Once here in Milwaukee a commuter airline was found to be using passenger weight averages that were way too low for a typical Wisconsinite. They had to start asking passengers to step on a scale at the ticket counter to obtain more realistic averages. That caused quite a stir for several months.

At first they were using the bag scale (they taped off the forward-facing display) but soon got standalone platforms that displayed only behind the counter.

I had to look this up. Air New Zealand has a lot of turboprops in their fleet. According to Wikipedia, 52 aircraft are turboprops out of a total fleet of 106. This might be a big reason for their study.

If only weighing 10,000 people, I’m sure it’s statistical thing, to see the average weight per person. People are heavier than they were years ago. Now they can average out weights per person in the future

FWIW, my cousin who lives in Australia, only flys Air New Zealand when flying international. Hates Qantas.

Maybe the first step to slowly have customers pay a "per pound" fuel surcharge. Introduce the weighing as a safety requirement for fuel calculations,condition the public to prevent initial reaction outrage, and thus begins a per pound passenger fuel surcharge.
I don't think they will ever do a per pound surcharge on people, since I don't think anywhere does luggage by the pound yet?
Air NZ does fly to some pacific islands though in smaller planes and there are some large people there, so perhaps they've run into some potential overloading issues?
I haven't flown on that many flights really but the Air NZ ones have been top notch. They seem like they are very well run in every aspect.

If only weighing 10,000 people, I’m sure it’s statistical thing, to see the average weight per person. People are heavier than they were years ago. Now they can average out weights per person in the future

FWIW, my cousin who lives in Australia, only flys Air New Zealand when flying international. Hates Qantas.
Yep. They're doing it to see if the "official" avg weight per passenger needs to be adjusted.

I don't think they will ever do a per pound surcharge on people, since I don't think anywhere does luggage by the pound yet?
Air NZ does fly to some pacific islands though in smaller planes and there are some large people there, so perhaps they've run into some potential overloading issues?
I haven't flown on that many flights really but the Air NZ ones have been top notch. They seem like they are very well run in every aspect.
Samoa Air has become the first airline to charge passengers according to how much they weigh. The company carries travelers on hops between Pacific islands that have some of the highest obesity rates in the world.

"Despite complaints from some overweight travelers that such policies amount to discrimination, the majority of international travelers in recent surveys support some type of weight-based fee for airline passengers. A significant number, though — 41 percent, in one recent poll — say that charging overweight passengers more amounts to "discrimination." Bhatta points out that airlines can save $3,000 per year in fuel costs for every kilogram they shave off a plane's weight, so the companies would reap benefits from a pay-as-you-weigh plan. The environment could benefit, too, as CO2 emissions would decline accordingly. But, judging by the comments sections of articles on Samoa Air's new policy, heavy frequent travelers will expect to get more if they pay more. Bigger seats, maybe? It's hardly fair, they say, to ask people to pay more and still be crammed into the same tiny, uncomfortable seats"
"Airline defends 'pay what you weigh' ticket policy, saying families have been particularly pleased by cheaper child tickets"

I would just be happy if they would do a "width test" to make sure the person setting next to me doesn't "spill" in to my seat.

Flying is torture on the slow plan......

I would just be happy if they would do a "width test" to make sure the person setting next to me doesn't "spill" in to my seat.

Flying is torture on the slow plan......

Maybe the system should offer a more comfortable seat if one is empty? The ability to seat two overweight passengers in a three seat aisle instead of randomly selecting a seat and hoping for the best seems like a winner to me.

Maybe the system should offer a more comfortable seat if one is empty? The ability to seat two overweight passengers in a three seat aisle instead of randomly selecting a seat and hoping for the best seems like a winner to me.

I would agree. The thing is I haven't been on a plane that wasn't full the last few times I have flown. If you see an empty seat you prefer and ask-sometimes the stewardess will let you move. I have been on airplanes where the guy next to me obviously works out-and isn't overweight to any large degree but his shoulders, arms are just all muscle, wide and he just spills over.

Yep. They're doing it to see if the "official" avg weight per passenger needs to be adjusted.

It makes sense, if there's 400 seats there can be 400 people on it. 160 lbs or 250 lbs average makes a significant difference.

Elevators have weight limits aswell, but either they weigh the cabin and don't go, or they're so small you can fit less large people.

Busses (like I drive) have weight limits too, but it's impossible to fit 100 thin people in one bus (capacity is between 90-100 people for a regular size bus), let alone bigger ones.

I get the thing about weight. On my bucket list is a Grand Canyon overnight mule ride to Phantom Ranch, and they cap the weight at 200 lbs. And they do a very public weigh in.

I’m not fat but I’m not sure I’d be under that weight now.

Pilots are responsible for the weight and distribution on the aircraft. I assume they have been using averages and standard calculations but people are getting fatter and fatter. I think GON has a good point.
People are also bringing heavier and heavier carry ons these days

For years the default was 200lbs or 210 lbs per passenger from what I remember.

Back