Advice on purchase ($) - '02 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used car shopping is tough at this price point, it takes some time and patience to find that diamond in the rough.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
Was looking at this Mazda tonight....some interesting things going on in the world of car sales.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...&sortDirection=ASC#listing=237623085

A VIN check reveals that it was sold by a local dealership in 2017, with 68,000 miles on it.

Serious road warrior (eyeroll). I don't even want to know what's gone on with this car.

Looking a little more seriously at this one, but certainly not at this price: https://www.leandertrucksncars.com/...l-transmission-used-car-leander-tx.shtml

The Mazda in Dallas is a sweet car!

I feel like my eyes are playing tricks on me. What's going on with the bottom right of the speedo on the dark gray Mazda?

Speedo.JPG

Yeah, he may be a lot like the Maxima guy since he's so overpriced, and it's been listed for sale for 78 days.

I may go drive the gray one today, although I can't figure out what's going on with the mileage.

Yeah, he may be a lot like the Maxima guy since he's so overpriced, and it's been listed for sale for 78 days.

I may go drive the gray one today, although I can't figure out what's going on with the mileage.

IMO the Maxima is a bargain by comparison, and it is a MUCH better car. Either way, you still need to get the car inspected by a mechanic.

Originally Posted by wag123
Looking a little more seriously at this one, but certainly not at this price: https://www.leandertrucksncars.com/...l-transmission-used-car-leander-tx.shtml

This guy is asking WAY too much money for a 15 year old Mazda6 5-speed with an accident report. Keep looking.

I have a hangup with torn seats... Maybe it's just me... I can deal with heavily worn leather, but tears in the seat just make me feel like the car is a junker.

Originally Posted by brages
Originally Posted by wag123

This guy is asking WAY too much money for a 15 year old Mazda6 5-speed with an accident report. Keep looking.

I have a hangup with torn seats... Maybe it's just me... I can deal with heavily worn leather, but tears in the seat just make me feel like the car is a junker.

Same here. Bolster wear,cracks,holes,or tears in the leather are a deal breaker with me. Yep,makes it seem like a junker.

Update on: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...&sortDirection=ASC#listing=237623085

More ideal photography going on here, but it is what it is. The car is 15 years old, so I'm managing my expectations in regard to cosmetics.

I made sure my head was close to the engine when he fired it up. The starter has 3-4 more good starts left in it before it grinds to a halt. Driver's side window is down, and will not roll up, which is why he's storing the car inside. A/C blows warm. He noted that his mechanic has fixed the A/C leak, but they have not yet charged the system, so he will be doing that in the next hour or so. He is also going to order a window regulator. I didn't even mention the starter. The clutch feels typical for 100K+ miles. Very stiff, and abrupt engagement near the top of the pedal travel. Car runs good and drives well, but it's hard to pile on the compliments while you're sweating.

These are the things I dislike about these tiny, fly-by-night car "dealerships". I fear problems are usually fixed with duct tape and can be expected to resurface shortly after it's too late to take the car back.

Next.

Shop for a good used car at a real dealership and you'll find MUCH better cars vs those sleazy tote the note places. All my cars have come from major branded dealerships.

"A/C needs charged" is always a fib, there's a leak at best. 1985 means it was an R-12 system, too.

That car is 34 years old, what are you planning to do with it?

The car is in Minnesota and you are in Texas?

Last edited:
I got a shipping quote of $675 to get it here. Looking for R134a compressors but am not having any luck. Was just wondering if anyone here has experiences to share with this generation of Prelude. Thought it might make a nice daily driver.

He noted that his mechanic has fixed the A/C leak, but they have not yet charged the system, so he will be doing that in the next hour or so. .

No doubt it all gasses out within an hour, so they charge it up with a $5 can right before they find a sucker.

If you need a reliable car for daily use driving to your job for cheap, then you probably need to dial down your tastes from Maxima or Prelude to Corolla/Yaris/Sentra/Fit.
An old car owned for years by you might be quite good while one that's gone through a number of owners over the years probably won't be.
As I've posted in the past, the best way to get a good beater is to buy it new and keep it.
The Maxima sounds pretty neat as a second or third car, although not for anything close to the asking price.
I don't think I'd want to bet my money or my job on it without some months of experience in use.

I've moved on from the '85 Prelude. I have already dealt with A/C nightmares in the '82 Mustang I bought a while back, and am not up for another trip down R134a road.

Keep the opinions coming....You're all helping me stay out of trouble with cars like that Prelude, where nostalgia nearly overrules logic.

I'm liking this one as well: 2000 Maxima

All the Nissan 3.5 haters should love it. :)

The average value when combining KBB, NADA, Carfax and Edmunds numbers is $2,544. Let's hear it!

P.S. They've had it a while. Google Street View caught a picture of it on the lot in January.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back