A Kudos for Discount Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked in with Mom today and found out that one of the tires on her car managed to find a screw and went flat. She got the tire changed and decided to head straight to the local DT to get the tire patched.

They patched the tire, put it back on the car for her, rotated the tires and checked the air. Total cost: $0.

Oh, and these are the OEM tires, so the store had absolutely no obligation to her (i.e., she didn't have a tire warranty with them).

I don't know if this is SOP for them, or if they saw that she was a senior citizen or what. I've been happy with the service I've received from them with tires I did buy there, and this just sealed the deal on where I'll be getting replacements for the Dakota.

SOP for DT. Repairs and rotation are free.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Checked in with Mom today and found out that one of the tires on her car managed to find a screw and went flat. She got the tire changed and decided to head straight to the local DT to get the tire patched.

They patched the tire, put it back on the car for her, rotated the tires and checked the air. Total cost: $0.

Oh, and these are the OEM tires, so the store had absolutely no obligation to her (i.e., she didn't have a tire warranty with them).

I don't know if this is SOP for them, or if they saw that she was a senior citizen or what. I've been happy with the service I've received from them with tires I did buy there, and this just sealed the deal on where I'll be getting replacements for the Dakota.

in my experience, its pretty much SOP. they pretty much bend over backwards on customer service. and, when I recently was in a BIG hurry for two trailer tires (boat trailer stranded on the side of a major expressway) Discount tire was the only one who stocked trailer tires. Not the Goodyear or Firestone dealers that I tried first.....

What does SOP stand for? So they do tire rotations for free? They just opened one up about 2 miles from here.

Last edited:
They may not have absolutely the lowest price (though frequently they do) but NOBODY beats them on customer service. my family n friends have been buying from DT for 30+ years

There is a chain called Les Schwab in the Northwest. They have a ton of stores and are famous for their customer service. I wonder if some companies are copying their business model? I say this because they have been fixing flats that are not their tires for years.
My Dad loves them, though they are not cheap. But he is, so that says something. I just got tires through Costco. They are OK with customer service.

It is about time that customer service comes back in style. They are smart to do what they did. When your Mom needs tires I am sure she will think of how she was treated at Discount.

Last edited:
Free flat repair (regardless of whether the tire was purchased there) is pretty standard at most tire shops in my town, which is pretty nice. Not sure about the rest of the service at the shops -- I've been pretty happy with some of them but some are hit or miss.

Once when I was at the service desk at my Honda dealer checking in for a warranty repair or something, I overheard the service writer talking to another customer about how it was going to cost $30 to plug a tire.

Then again, maybe the dealership mechanics will be careful not to scratch the rims when mounting the tires. Maybe.

I really like discount tire. Last time I had a flat tire I took my car there and they checked over the flat to see if it was fixable, and even though it wasn't they replaced it with a new tire and mounted it in a matter of only ~15 minutes out the door. My whole family does business there, as will I in the future.

I prefer doing business with a company that provides outstanding customer service, and I'm happy to pay a reasonable premium to do business with them. Sounds like I'll have to check them out if they're available around this area.

I usually find that the slightly higher price is worth the extra service and, in the long run ends up saving money. As an added benefit the word of mouth advertising is far more powerful than any media advertising they could do.

Yep...this is one of the reasons I only buy tires at Discount Tire, even though their prices may be slightly higher. They took care of me and my wife even though our OEM tires were not bought there.

I've been very satisfied with Discount Tire/America's Tire. Always ask for the lowest price they can offer for the tires you choose. At least they'll match Tirerack + shipping & mounting/disposal and match any other local price. I never buy their road hazard warranty, and I've only had one tire fail due to a bad puncture in forty years.

I'm very disappointed with Les Schwab. Their tires are expensive, although they include an excellent warranty. I priced some little trailer tires recently...$75 at Schwab & $40 at Discount for the same junky Chinese tires. Their workers are hard working but poorly trained. I've had them lie to me about centering a cheapo trailer wheel on the balancer...the center pilot hole was punched off-center...and lie about the maker of some tires I was buying. They can't count...they try to tell me that tires that say "two ply" and Load Range C on the side are six ply. I tell them that I'll buy every tire in their store room that has six or eight plies of cord in the sidewalls, and I haven't bought any of these tires yet ("six" and "eight ply" tires actually have two or three plies of cord; some super-stiff off-road racing tires actually have four plies).

We have two Discount Tires by me....BOTH of them failed to do a proper 4 wheel alignment on my pickup, I will never go to the again.

The second time I gave the guy three shots at it, I was there for 3 hours. Of course, his printer was broken, so he couldnt give me a spec sheet. I finally went to Firestone and they did the alignment and provided specs and it was unbelieveable how bad the toe was in on one side, and the camber was bad on the other. DT totally WINGED IT with my alignment lol.

I lost all confidence in them and there Hawk Eye alignment machines. Junk.

Originally Posted By: redwolf4k
We have two Discount Tires by me....BOTH of them failed to do a proper 4 wheel alignment on my pickup, I will never go to the again.

The second time I gave the guy three shots at it, I was there for 3 hours. Of course, his printer was broken, so he couldnt give me a spec sheet. I finally went to Firestone and they did the alignment and provided specs and it was unbelieveable how bad the toe was in on one side, and the camber was bad on the other. DT totally WINGED IT with my alignment lol.

I lost all confidence in them and there Hawk Eye alignment machines. Junk.

I am under the impression that Discount Tire DOES NOT have alignment equipment - they only sell and mount tires. No alignments, no oil changes, etc.

These guys:

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

Is it possible there is another group with a similar name?

May be like these guys?

http://www.madisontire.com/index.htm

http://www.billsdiscounttire.com/

http://www.discounttirenj.com/pages/

I've only had experience with Discount Tire Direct (their online store).

I ordered 4 Goodyear ComforTred tires for the Park Avenue. I got a nice matched pair, one with a blemished whitewall (black rubber in the whitewall area), and one that was about three years old.

I called them about the blem and the old tire. They immediately emailed me two pre-paid UPS shipping tags to print out and use to return the tires, and quickly sent out another pair from a different warehouse (although they had to charge my credit card for the two additional tires).

As soon as they received the pair from me, they removed the extra charges from my credit card promptly.

Sure, I'd rather that someone had not screwed it up in the first place, but once it was brought to their attention, they made it right as quickly as they could.

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
Yep, SOP for both Discount Tire & Belle Tire here in SE Michigan.
They try so hard......got to love it!!

Eh, had issues with Belle Tire....depends on location.

I only have experience with Pep Boys for alignments or shocks/struts/front end components. The stores I've visited in NRH and Irving were impressive. And I felt comfortable buying their tires at the same time.

If Discount Tire added alignment/shock/strut service nationwide, I would be stoked! There is one an hour from me in Burleson and I think there is one a half hour away in Waco and I like one stop shopping.

Originally Posted By: occupant
If Discount Tire added alignment/shock/strut service nationwide, I would be stoked! .

I'd be "stoked" too, IF those services were at the same standard as their tire service. That said, I'm not sure they could maintain the high quality of service and speed by adding those services. IMO, one of the reasons they are so good is because they only do tires. To add those other sevices they would have to hire mechanics and add equipment. I just don't see them changing their business model to add those services.

FYI, Discount Tire/America's Tire is not the same as Discount Tires(plural). I suspect the OP meant Discount Tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back