Is Discount Tire certificate worth it for my situation?

Just ordered new Continental Extreme Contact Sports. Ask to lower the certificate cost and they did...so just ask to lower the price if you want the insurance, they just do it under "found it lower" like you found a better price on the tires. These tires will get the crap beat out of them so I ended up getting it.

Just ordered new Continental Extreme Contact Sports. Ask to lower the certificate cost and they did...so just ask to lower the price if you want the insurance, they just do it under "found it lower" like you found a better price on the tires. These tires will get the crap beat out of them so I ended up getting it.

Nice! I was thinking of asking that next time I order and let them know the price of the tires off TR is the same and see if they lower it.

Nice! I was thinking of asking that next time I order and let them know the price of the tires off TR is the same and see if they lower it.
Exactly, if you order from TR, the delivered/installed price (using DT as installer) is exactly the same but you get the TR RZ warranty...not exaclty the same as the "tire insurance" DT sells but if you ask they will lower it.

Another benefit of DT vs. Costco...I really like my local one by the way, I've bought about 10 sets of tires from them over the last 4 years...they will sell you tires that are not factory size. Costco will not.

So just got a pay out on some of my certificates. That makes twice in the last ~year on two different sets of tires...last was on the Pirellis our Atlas with un-repairable damage. I removed my Michelin PS4 all seasons today to replace with my summer wheels/tires (Conti ECS02s that I just bought today at DT). Had a screw in it towards the outside to the belts. They are just replacing it., they are $219 and certs for all four were about $130 I believe. So that just covered all the certs on that set plus some. Atlas is the same, one tire more than paid for the certificates. Of course I've bought them on other cars and never used them...the house always wins with these haha. Getting one new tire at 10/32" to mix with two @ 4 and change/32" and one @ 6/32" on my awd Sportwagen OMG IT WILL RUIN IT :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I may end up getting one more new one this fall when I put them back on and run the two new ones out back and replace one of the ones at 4-5/32...we'll see..or maybe do the one at 6/32" so I have two at 4-5/32", wear those out in teh next year and replace both with new, hate not having all four the same but these are just my winter tires, also should get the prorate on these b/c no way they are lasting 45K...I'll be lucky to get them to 30. Lucky I saw it b/c my certificates expire this fall and I won't have these tires on until after...so good thing I inspected them! Also, this is the second scew this week! My wife's Atlas had one but it wasn't through the tread as those are at ~9/32" but I still always have DT do the removal if possible so they can fix it. Love my DT, guys are v. polite/great CS there.

20240320_141958.jpg

So just got a pay out on some of my certificates. That makes twice in the last ~year on two different sets of tires...last was on the Pirellis our Atlas with un-repairable damage. I removed my Michelin PS4 all seasons today to replace with my summer wheels/tires (Conti ECS02s that I just bought today at DT). Had a screw in it towards the outside to the belts. They are just replacing it., they are $219 and certs for all four were about $130 I believe. So that just covered all the certs on that set plus some. Atlas is the same, one tire more than paid for the certificates. Of course I've bought them on other cars and never used them...the house always wins with these haha. Getting one new tire at 10/32" to mix with two @ 4 and change/32" and one @ 6/32" on my awd Sportwagen OMG IT WILL RUIN IT :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I may end up getting one more new one this fall when I put them back on and run the two new ones out back and replace one of the ones at 4-5/32...we'll see..or maybe do the one at 6/32" so I have two at 4-5/32", wear those out in teh next year and replace both with new, hate not having all four the same but these are just my winter tires, also should get the prorate on these b/c no way they are lasting 45K...I'll be lucky to get them to 30. Lucky I saw it b/c my certificates expire this fall and I won't have these tires on until after...so good thing I inspected them! Also, this is the second scew this week! My wife's Atlas had one but it wasn't through the tread as those are at ~9/32" but I still always have DT do the removal if possible so they can fix it. Love my DT, guys are v. polite/great CS there.

View attachment 209410
My local DT would try to fix that. They do anything possible to not replace a tire under the cert program if they can get the patch to lay flat inside.

My local DT would try to fix that. They do anything possible to not replace a tire under the cert program if they can get the patch to lay flat inside.
This is too close to the edge, I have no issue if they were going to fix it...in facxt better TBH b/c of the wear difference between my tires now. Too close and can't leave it as it's to the belts. They never argue, so easy. I have a really good DT.

If that were the case, I'd just walk over to the display signage in the showroom and point to the illustration showing the repairable and non-repairable zones.

Which is designed to scare people into buying the certs!

I've never bought them and (knock on wood) never needed them.

I generally get quick, and competent service from my store, so I still go to them, but their pricing and promotional strategy has certainly changed since the founder passed away.

The new upsells are wipers and lug nuts. Wipers, easy for folks that don't DIY anything and let's be honest, someone buying wipers at DT probably needs them. Lug nuts...interesting one...many are the ones that have covers/swell so they sell the 1-piece non-swelling type. I got burnt on this on my son's Focus, lugs had swollen and we had to beat a socket on to remove...wouldn't have been screwed on side of road...I had no idea this was a thing until then. Not a bad upsell for many on that one. I don't fault companies for upselling...there is a market and this is a free country...as long as they aren't lying to folks I see this as value to those kinds of drivers that don't know anything about vehicle maintenance much less do any.

Hello folks,

It's time to start shopping for new tires for the CX5 (AWD). DT has the certificates that will cover irreparable damage but for a set of $220x4 tires, the certs will cost around $175. I drive ~30k miles a year so if I get a nail in the sidewall of one tire at 9/32, I will have to buy an entire new set of tires - essentially wasting the certificates on the other 3 tires within months. The savings end up ~$60 for a service I may never use. Is my thinking proper, when considering the value of DT's tire certificate?
all it takes is one nail, hard impact or if the tires don't reach the full rated mileage to be worth it. I've always gone for the tire insurance at Discount Tire.

all it takes is one nail, hard impact or if the tires don't reach the full rated mileage to be worth it. I've always gone for the tire insurance at Discount Tire.
Wait, the mileage warranty is through the manufacturer but is pro-rated, the certificates cover the replacment if they don't meet the mileage number too?

i have bough them in the long past but not for at least 10 years . when they replace a tire they make you buy a new cert for the replacement . there used to be no time limit on the certs , but now its 3 years .

i still buy tires from them though .

Wait, the mileage warranty is through the manufacturer but is pro-rated, the certificates cover the replacment if they don't meet the mileage number too?
My last set saw about 70% of the rated mileage. Discount Tire calculated the amount and subtracted that off of new tires

i have bough them in the long past but not for at least 10 years . when they replace a tire they make you buy a new cert for the replacement . there used to be no time limit on the certs , but now its 3 years .

i still buy tires from them though .
You don't have to buy a new cert...you can say no.

Wow, my experience quite the opposite and I've had one or two. In my experience, there's no way DTs locally would try to patch a puncture in the area shown to avoid a certs new tire. 'In my observation', certainly outside repairable area. I'll say this, if they came close to attempting that stunt with me, this is one long time DT customer that wouldn't leave the store without new replacement tire either installed or ordered. Perhaps it's a Cali AT thing.

As for topic DT certs, I have purchased them once or twice over the years but no longer do. I've had such solid results with DT giving me a very fair pro-rated price on a new tire for one with a puncture in a non-repairable area, certs don't make sense 'for me'. I've even had them do it on OE tires a few times, but I'll add that's a YMMV, and in one case some polite negotiation went with it. But, certs can make sense for someone wanting the peace of mind of knowing a new tire going back on with no (or few) questions asked.

As an aside, when it comes to DT tire prorated price towards new tires, as long as tires maintained with recommended rotation and balance interval, several times gotten prorated price towards new set. Last year, helped a family member over the phone to DT store, do that with set of Nankang tires that didn't meet the tread life warranty.

Last edited:
Wow, my experience quite the opposite and I've had one or two. In my experience, there's no way DTs locally would try to patch a puncture in the area shown to avoid a certs new tire. 'In my observation', certainly outside repairable area. I'll say this, if they came close to attempting that stunt with me, this is one long time DT customer that wouldn't leave the store without new replacement tire either installed or ordered. Perhaps it's a Cali AT thing.

As for topic DT certs, I have purchased them once or twice over the years but no longer do. I've had such solid results with DT giving me a very fair pro-rated price on a new tire for one with a puncture in a non-repairable area, certs don't make sense 'for me'. I've even had them do it on OE tires a few times, but I'll add that's a YMMV, and in one case some polite negotiation went with it. But, certs can make sense for someone wanting the peace of mind of knowing a new tire going back on with no (or few) questions asked.

As an aside, when it comes to DT tire prorated price towards new tires, as long as tires maintained with recommended rotation and balance interval, several times gotten prorated price towards new set. Last year, helped a family member over the phone to DT store, do that with set of Nankang tires that didn't meet the tread life warranty.
So I'm wondering how they handle tires that aren't worn to 2/32"- I typically replace at 3-4/32"...will they still give you the prorated discount on the new set? What if you have your own rotation records? I don't bother having them rotate the tires on some of my vehicles.

So I'm wondering how they handle tires that aren't worn to 2/32"- I typically replace at 3-4/32"...will they still give you the prorated discount on the new set? What if you have your own rotation records? I don't bother having them rotate the tires on some of my vehicles.
I'm going with 'my' latest experience with the mentioned Nankang tires. So I saw the vehicle (17 Rogue) and noted tires in the ~4/32nds 'range' and all were worn fairly evenly. Called the DT store where family member purchased the tires and asked about prorated price towards a new set. They said, if tire worn evenly and not to 2/32nd they would prorate based on tread left and tread life warranty. Iirc, gave ~$120 towards new set of Milestar MS932 Sport. Tires were rotated and balanced a couple/few times at DT, they keep a record. I think fact tires evenly worn also helped. Tire inspection at DT store was needed before agreeing to prorate. Fwiw, I have all my DT purchased tires rotated and balance as DT recommended to maintain tread life warranty.

If you didn't purchase the tires at DT and/or no DT record of rotation, I wouldn't expect the same experience/results. That said, old saying, can't hurt to ask. As mentioned, when it came to 'one' OE tire with non-repairable puncture, it was based treadwear, but again ymmv on that one.

Back