7 seater vehicle suggestions - No Van

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Seriously, why no van? Are you that unsure of your masculinity? Do you really think that most decent options that carry 7 and aren't a van are that much "cooler"? Those are the typical reasons Ive observed...

Does cargo space matter in 7 passenger configuration? If so, it eliminates most SUVs.

Minivan, suburban, or nothing, IMO...

My Gf's dad has a 2014 Sienna. Definitely changed my view of a modern van. That thing is fast, powerful, nimble thanks to the transmission and v6. A joy to cruise long distances on the highway. Prefer that to my Escalade taking the family an hour away to the beach. Its got almost 100k on it already. Only repair was the intermediate shaft, a common Toyota problem. First brake job coming up, they lasted 100k!!

My vote would be older Honda Odyssey. Hard to beat the practicality and function of a mini van. I use to see them as inferior to SUVs... Then I realized they are actually the superior people/stuff mover in most ways. Unless you need true 4x4 snow tires would get a FWD van through almost anything. I once loaded a John deere riding mower in the back of a Ford Windstar. Could never do that in the Ford Explorer that replaced it.

Maybe I'll start another thread for a Van then, because they are definitely cheaper to own and good on gas.

thumbsup2.gif

Get a minivan and a sticker that says I used to be cool.

I always liked the idea of an AWD Sienna and a TRD sticker for the back window too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Get a minivan and a sticker that says I used to be cool.

I always liked the idea of an AWD Sienna and a TRD sticker for the back window too.

Now that's hilarious
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Maybe I'll start another thread for a Van then, because they are definitely cheaper to own and good on gas.

thumbsup2.gif

I honestly missed in the title you said no van... sorry. If you only rarely need to have more than 4 or 5, SUVs with 3rd row would cut it. Around the 8k range you could find a decent shape Jeep Commander. I really wanted one for awhile. They have that old school look, and the upper trim models have really capable 4x4. The thing is they are gas guzzlers. Same with most SUVs that have 3 rows a couple generations back (durango, explorer, trailblazer). Some newer ones like pathfinders and explorers do better on gas, but they will be over double that 8k.

Yeah, the Odyssey had a few years there with a good trans and no VCM junk. Nothing wrong with how they drive either. And they seat 7 or 8 with 35 cuft cargo space left.
I'd like to see how an Odyssey does against even something like a V8 Grand Cherokee on a tighter track. It might not be all that far behind...

Now that the tides have shifted, I'll also suggest the van. Love my Sienna. I always intended to get a van, I just had to convince my wife that they were, in fact, cool.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Now that the tides have shifted, I'll also suggest the van. Love my Sienna. I always intended to get a van, I just had to convince my wife that they were, in fact, cool.
cool.gif

So.. its the wife who actually drives it, not you?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Mazda5

Believe it or not, I was looking at it. How good and reliable are they and any known issues?Since they are a lot cheaper than SUV's !

We are very pleased with our '09 Mazda 5 (compact outer dimensions, lots of fun to drive with the 5-speed manual, reliable, easy on gas) BUT be aware that it's a 6-seater, not a 7-seater. There are two buckets up front, two buckets in the middle, and a 2-person bench in the back.

It's also considered a minivan by many (although it's more like a microvan). It's one of only three minivans recommended by Lemon-Aid (a Canadian car-consumer-advocacy group) along with the Toyota Sienna and certain years of Honda Odyssey.

Originally Posted By: Number_35
Originally Posted By: wemay
Mazda5

Believe it or not, I was looking at it. How good and reliable are they and any known issues?Since they are a lot cheaper than SUV's !

We are very pleased with our '09 Mazda 5 (compact outer dimensions, lots of fun to drive with the 5-speed manual, reliable, easy on gas) BUT be aware that it's a 6-seater, not a 7-seater. There are two buckets up front, two buckets in the middle, and a 2-person bench in the back.

It's also considered a minivan by many (although it's more like a microvan). It's one of only three minivans recommended by Lemon-Aid (a Canadian car-consumer-advocacy group) along with the Toyota Sienna and certain years of Honda Odyssey.

They where sold in the US up to 2015.
the 3rd row bench could accommodate 3 small person/kids. But you will not have much room in the trunk.
It has sliding doors.
tire size is 16" or 17"
It is a NA 2.4 engine.

The foot print is mid-size car.
It does have a lot of room for it's size.

Take a look also at the already suggested Ford TaurusX and Flex.
Don't check Ford Wagon Connect (not a lot sold in passenger configuration....)

Older GM Suburbans with bench seats have sufficient room to fit at least 7 of whatever sized adults might want to ride without being cramped.

There are a quite a few vehicles that technically have seating for 7, but I feel sorry for the folks in the rear as most are too small for above average sized adults. Some are too small for even average sized adults.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
cool.gif

So.. its the wife who actually drives it, not you?

We switch depending on who's working and who's at home, but she does tend to drive it more often than I do.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
the 3rd row bench could accommodate 3 small person/kids. But you will not have much room in the trunk.
It has sliding doors.
tire size is 16" or 17"
It is a NA 2.4 engine.
I'm sure that our '09 has only two sets of seatbelts in the back. As well, the back section of the bench is split 50-50, not 60-40 or 70-30, so you would not be able to fold half down and still accommodate two passengers. So, the 1st gen ('06 - '10) sold in Canada was definitely limited to six passengers. I can't say whether this is the case for the 2nd generation, but suspect so.

Model Years 2006-2010 offered a 2.3 litre Duratech engine w/ 5-speed manual or 4-speed automatic.

There was no MY 2011.

MYs 2012-present offered a 2.5 litre Duratech w/ 6-speed manual or 5-speed automatic.

This Duratec engine family is not equipped with Mazda's SkyActiv technology, but I have found the van very economical to drive anyway.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
I remember the mazda 5 having a really poor crash test rating.

And the rear end looks like an owl face

Volvo XC90 with third row seats 7 and is within your price range. Third row doesn't fit big people well but is good for kids and small adults.

We had a 2018 GMC Acadia as a rental when our Grand Caravan was in the body shop. With the third raw up, that thing could not fit a normal solize suitcase and this is supposed to be a mid size SUV.

Many people don't realize this, but only the full size SUVs like a Suburban or Navigator can compare to the inside volume of a minivan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back