.44 Special for Home Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I regularly carry a Model 629 S&W .44 Magnum w/4" Barrel. I load them up with Hornady 180 gr .44 Special. The gun is a total sweetheart with this round.

.38 special has plenty of power for what she wants to do. If you'd note. You're looking for a gun for someone who can't handle a whole lot of gun. Lots of power and easy shooting for people with disabilities don't go together. Also. Big and slow is more likely to penetrate building materials than light and fast. .223 is one of the least penetrating rounds, including handgun rounds. A lot of factors go into penetration. Your gun knowledge has some serious flaws.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Agreed. I must have been knee jerking thinking mistakenly of the M14. Just have 30-06 in my head relating to the M and the 14 designators from back whenever.

Just to clarify. The Springfield Armory M1-A, (civilian version of the M-14), is in 7.62 X 51 MM, (.308). The M1 Garand was the same basic action, fed by an En Block clip in .30-06. There were / are some versions of it available in .308 as well.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I'd look at the following:
20 gauge coach gun double barrel shotgun
lever action 30-30 or lever action .357 magnum
semi-auto 20 gauge (Mossberg)
Mini 14 (California legal I believe, and very simple)
California legal SKS (very simple)

I like the recommendation of a 20 gauge in this case...but a .30-30? I own a lever action .30-30 and, admitting that I don't have as much experience with firearms as some here may, I think that's the last tool I'd choose to defend my home with. It's heavy, not particularly easy to operate, and she'll likely push a lot of 30-caliber bullets through her walls and perhaps neighbors' walls before she hits her target. I think the "spray" of shotguns is over-emphasized, and they still have to be aimed, but I think she'd have better success with a 20 gauge instead of a .30-30.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I like the recommendation of a 20 gauge in this case...but a .30-30? I own a lever action .30-30 and, admitting that I don't have as much experience with firearms as some here may, I think that's the last tool I'd choose to defend my home with. Any rifle, in fact, will have serious over-penetration concerns, right? Isn't that why shotguns are often promoted as the ideal home defense tool? You limit the possibility of going through your walls, and even through your neighbor's walls, right?
A lot of .223 penetrates less than typical pistol ammo. The .30-30 reduced recoil 125 grain ammo probably doesn't penetrate too much. Everything is going to shoot through a couple pieces of sheetrock.

Long guns are a poor choice for a single defensive weapon. Too hard to keep handy answering doors, looking around outside, etc.

Originally Posted By: hatt
The .30-30 reduced recoil 125 grain ammo probably doesn't penetrate too much. Everything is going to shoot through a couple pieces of sheetrock.

I shoot the reduced recoil .30-30 through my Winchester 1894. It felt pretty light...very comfortable to shoot. I was at my friends' house, and we were shooting steel with pistols over Thanksgiving weekend. I tried one with the Winchester. The bullet didn't make it all the way through the steel, but it nearly did. This is 1/2" thick steel. I was astounded at what the "baby" hunting round did to that plate.

The 9mms and .40s make small dimples, if anything at all. That .30-30 tore it up.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The .30-30 reduced recoil 125 grain ammo probably doesn't penetrate too much. Everything is going to shoot through a couple pieces of sheetrock.

I shoot the reduced recoil .30-30 through my Winchester 1894. It felt pretty light...very comfortable to shoot. I was at my friends' house, and we were shooting steel with pistols over Thanksgiving weekend. I tried one with the Winchester. The bullet didn't make it all the way through the steel, but it nearly did. This is 1/2" thick steel. I was astounded at what the "baby" hunting round did to that plate.

The 9mms and .40s make small dimples, if anything at all. That .30-30 tore it up.
You really have to test it through building materials to see what actually happens. M193 punches through steel easily but loses energy quickly in a wall.

My gun knowledge has some serious flaws. Nice. Is this the part where you step in and save the day by belittling someone based on your own reading comprehension deficit?

What I said was .44 Special ballistics are similar to .45ACP, which is big (heavy) and slow (sub-sonic). In .45 Auto, the sub sonic 230-grain bullet has become the standard for law enforcement, where over penetration brings potential civil liability.

You want to crank off 5.56mm, 7.62, or .300 blackout rounds in your living room go right ahead, but I feel for your next door neighbors. And, for all but those tactically proficient with rifles or shotguns, bringing a handgun into action while coming up to speed from a deep sleep at 3am is going to be the better option. Every. Time.

.38 special has plenty of power for what she wants to do. If you'd note. You're looking for a gun for someone who can't handle a whole lot of gun. Lots of power and easy shooting for people with disabilities don't go together. Also. Big and slow is more likely to penetrate building materials than light and fast. .223 is one of the least penetrating rounds, including handgun rounds. A lot of factors go into penetration. Your gun knowledge has some serious flaws.

So much stupid on this thread from some people. Now I may not be a ballistic scientist, but I do have a few degrees on my wall I earned by writing about the technological developments of small arms throughout history.

If you are set on a handgun, then I agree, you can get a 357 magnum revolver and load it with 38 Special defense rounds. A 4 inch variant that is all steel would have extremely mild recoil. The same goes for a 44 mag that is loaded with 44 special defense loads. You don't have to use the magnum loads at all.

Just make sure she can handle the double action trigger pull of the gun and that she can manually decock the revolver if she puts it into single action mode. I know my mom had trouble with this after getting bad arthritis.

Last edited:
Every. Time.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

If you, or your sister are seeking whatever peace-of-mind is afforded by the security blanket you believe exists with a handgun in the nightstand, then by all means, get one.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

My wife prefers a double barreled coach style shot gun. External hammers leave no doubt as to the gun being ready to fire. In practice she's very comfortable with this gun and is very accurate especially in night and low light practice. It's a 20 gauge and we use number 4 shot with brass shells, hand loads, really stout ones, from a friend.

Excelent..20 ga. external hammers. I love external hammers. What gun is this?

Bored this morning, so here's a happy snap of a few of my favorites. Can anyone guess which one I keep bedside? Hint: It's not the one with muzzle velocity shown @ 3050fps.

IMG_4674_zpsma8bzyhf.jpg

IMG_4676_zpsjwdg4yyh.jpg

Best advice is for her to shoot a few guns and decide what she will be comfortable with.

The last woman alone shooting around here, she shot a prowler/would be intruder dead through her bedroom window with a 38. Ruled justifiable.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Since when was it offered in 7.62?
That's the mini 30.

Same gun, different name.

Right. Like anyone would accept civilians saying "my M16" instead of AR15 or better yet MSR

Agree on all.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
So much stupid on this thread from some people. Now I may not be a ballistic scientist, but I do have a few degrees on my wall I earned by writing about the technological developments of small arms throughout history.

If you are set on a handgun, then I agree, you can get a 357 magnum revolver and load it with 38 Special defense rounds. A 4 inch variant that is all steel would have extremely mild recoil. The same goes for a 44 mag that is loaded with 44 special defense loads. You don't have to use the magnum loads at all.

Just make sure she can handle the double action trigger pull of the gun and that she can manually decock the revolver if she puts it into single action mode. I know my mom had trouble with this after getting bad arthritis.

Bored this morning, so here's a happy snap of a few of my favorites. Can anyone guess which one I keep bedside? Hint: It's not the one with muzzle velocity shown @ 3050fps.

IMG_4674_zpsma8bzyhf.jpg

IMG_4676_zpsjwdg4yyh.jpg
Odd since the one running 3050 fps is by far the most effective and at the same time likely penetrates less building materials.

Okay, to each their own I suppose. But if I were you I'd consider placing most of my assets into offshore trusts to shield them from the lawsuit that may come when the stray 7.62 round you fired at the bad guy in your living room, kills the neighbor in bed two houses down.

I *was* set on a handgun for her, but all this center fire rifle talk got me to looking. Found this, I think it might be the ticket:

Barrett82A1.jpg

Oh snap, not California legal.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back