Looking for a budget handgun? Step on in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a chance to handle one of these Caniks at J&G this afternoon. Feels good in the hand, quality looks good, and the trigger is definitely unique. I'm committed to Glocks but I'd give this one serious consideration if I weren't. Currently $329 at J&G. Thanks for the heads up.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
bubbatime, I've long been intrigued by the SD9VE pistol. Where'd you find it for $259? That's a great price! I looked at them and at the M&Ps last year, and bought an M&P, but I do like the SD9VE's long double action-type trigger. It reminds me of the trigger in my Kel-tec P-32. Long, but super smooth. And no safeties.

The Shield is .34" narrower, 1.4" shorter, 4 oz. lighter. In every way a better carrying gun than the 9VE. the Trigger sucks on the 9VE. If 9 rounds rounds isn't enough then my time is up...as it should be.

Al, I own a Shield, and carry a Shield. It's a great carry gun, but if I wanted to carry something larger, it'd probably be an SD9VE.

I actually like the SD9VE's trigger. I like a longer trigger with a surprise break. With the Shield and other M&Ps, there's some trigger take-up, then a wall. You pull through the wall to break the sear. It's that way because the striker is mostly pre-cocked (S&W claims 98% pre-cocked, to try to meet the double action definition required by some departments).

The SD9VE's action and trigger are fundamentally different. The striker is not pre-cocked. Pulling the trigger cocks the striker back and then falls down and releases the striker. You don't feel a wall, and it's a good and clean surprise break. It actually appeals to me quite a bit. The Shield's trigger is okay, but there's actually a lot of over travel on it, which I don't really care for. I also had to polish the striker block ramp on the trigger bar quite a bit to smooth it up.

I own an M&P 9, but bought one with a manual safety because I thought I'd modify it with a light trigger and other parts to make it a fun range gun. I've sort of lost the desire to that, but I don't want to carry it, either, because of the safety. So it's sort of become a gun I don't use...

Originally Posted By: Al

The Shield is .34" narrower, 1.4" shorter, 4 oz. lighter. In every way a better carrying gun than the 9VE. the Trigger sucks on the 9VE. If 9 rounds rounds isn't enough then my time is up...as it should be.

Apples and oranges Al. Subcompact vs compact. The OP was talking about a car gun, why choose smaller for that use, the compact does everything better?

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

Apples and oranges Al. Subcompact vs compact. The OP was talking about a car gun, why choose smaller for that use, the compact does everything better?

Yea..my bad.
frown.gif

Last edited:
I don't know why you don't consider adding a revolver. The reliability of most surpasses semi's. The simplicity of use and hammerless design of my Ruger LCR in .357 makes it a very potent weapon. No need to fiddle with a safety either. Just pull the trigger.
You could find a used one that would fit the price you are considering as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Ruger P95

Simple, reliable, and no safety.

They have a slide mounted safety/decock just like the P85Mk2 I own.

That being said, you can usually find a near new P89 or P85(just make sure its a mark 2 or has the recall safety modification mark on the decock lever) for little to nothing. I paid 240 bucks for mine in almost like new condition.

Last edited:
Another suggestion from me is the Stoeger Cougar line. You can often get them pretty cheap. These are the same gun as the old Beretta Cougar. They moved the assembly line and tooling from Italy to Turkey to make room for the new Px4. By moving the line, the gun price went nearly in half of what it was.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Originally Posted By: Bud_One
Ruger P95

Simple, reliable, and no safety.

They have a slide mounted safety/decock just like the P85Mk2 I own.

That being said, you can usually find a near new P89 or P85(just make sure its a mark 2 or has the recall safety modification mark on the decock lever) for little to nothing. I paid 240 bucks for mine in almost like new condition.

I have a P91 DC, thought they were pretty much the same.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I don't know why you don't consider adding a revolver. The reliability of most surpasses semi's. The simplicity of use and hammerless design of my Ruger LCR in .357 makes it a very potent weapon. No need to fiddle with a safety either. Just pull the trigger.

The reliability and simplicity of a revolver can't be argued, but the ammo deficiency has to be considered. Shoot 5 with your LCR and you're empty. The pistols the OP bought still have 10 or more rounds. More ammo is always better.

The reliability and simplicity of a revolver can't be argued, but the ammo deficiency has to be considered. Shoot 5 with your LCR and you're empty. The pistols the OP bought still have 10 or more rounds. More ammo is always better.

Everything has it's pluses and minuses.

If I expected a firefight...all in all I'd rather have an AR with a thirty round flip mag.

It's all or nothing the way I look at it, so I stick with Sig P226. Been down that cheap route before, and they always get sold.

More bullets is fine when you can actually hit something, but good luck with that because a lot of pistols shoot like [censored]. I will take a factory S&W 686 any day over a factory Glock that shoots like [censored].

Originally Posted By: BigD1
It's all or nothing the way I look at it, so I stick with Sig P226. Been down that cheap route before, and they always get sold.

More bullets is fine when you can actually hit something, but good luck with that because a lot of pistols shoot like [censored]. I will take a factory S&W 686 any day over a factory Glock that shoots like [censored].

A $700 revolver is pretty far out of the intent of the OP. He was looking for a reliable pistol he could leave in his car and not worry if it went missing. You may be able to see the difference in accuracy between your lovely 686 and a [censored] Glock but most, no, the majority of people who have a defensive handgun will shoot both equally poorly.

all of a sudden BITOG is censoring the word c.r.a.p?

500 rounds down range today, about 250 per pistol. No jams, no problems. Shot the inside of the target out. Both guns are excellent, budget defensive handguns in my view and will be perfect for what I need them for.

You need to shoot an auto a little to make sure it works, make sure you hold it correctly, and prove the ammo. A revolver you can run a cylinder or two to make sure everything is in order and you're ready to go. A lot of people are intimidated by slapping slides and brass flying. I wouldn't necessarily recommend little 5 shot .357s but something like a used S&W M10 that can be had fairly cheap would be a good gun for keeping around.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/654_910/products_id/411545790/Used+S%26W+Police+Model+10+38sp+Square+Butt

Last edited:
We can bloviate all we want but he's putting lead downrange breaking in his choices!
No one is recommending guns to bubba. He's owns tons of guns and shoots all the time. Did you even read my post. If you did, what was wrong or controversial? Please, break it down for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back