.44 Special for Home Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not my first choice, and actually not for me anyhow. My sister, 61, lives in California. She wants to get a handgun for home defense. Her choices are highly restricted thanks to California gun control laws. It has to be an approved handgun legal to transfer in California, which vastly narrows the choices. I know, because she was originally wanting a sub compact semi-auto either in 9mm, .40s&w, or .45acp. The only ones I could determine were legal in CA were certain model codes of Smith & Wesson Shield and Springfield XD-S. Both fine choices of course.

But as it turns out a semi-auto isn't going to be optimal for her due to some arthritis in her hand causing some potential for problems loading mags and racking slides. We have decided to go the revolver route instead.

I am thinking .44 special over .357 magnum at this point based on recoil and on potential for a 357 round to exit her house and pose a danger to neighbors (not brick construction).

Not a huge fan of Charter Arms but they're about the only ones who still make .44 Specials, and the only .44 Special models on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale ( http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/ ) in California. Charter Arms Bull Pup 2.5" snub .44 Special to be exact.

What sayeth BITOG gun slingers?

Valid question. Under stress, she's not going to be able to operate an 18" barrel pump shotgun like an 870.

Good for your sister! Yes, California does greatly restrict your options. Will your sister be able to accurately shoot a revolver in the calibers listed with her arthritis?

.38+p? Or what about a Raging Judge? (I have one) Lightweight. 7 rounds of defense .410, should be able to hit something and not have to worry about going through walls.

Her arthritis isn't terrible bad, she's in good health for the most part and still works full time on the road doing sales, but it's enough that she feels unconfident in her ability to effectively operate a semi auto.

I was watching a youtube of gelatin testing of about the hottest .38 +P for defense, Hornady Critical Defense .38 +P 110gr. Fired out of a snub. Didn't expand as advertised. Rather underwhelming.

I'd opt for a 357 Mag revolver in a mid sized frame, then use a good defensive hollow point type of ammo in 38 Special. That combo would have less recoil than a 44 Mag.

About 300 million guns in the U.S. About 259 justifiable civilian homicides per year. We're talking lottery type odds.

Basically saying that for most of us, guns for protection = snake oil.

Originally Posted By: Skid
About 300 million guns in the U.S. About 259 justifiable civilian homicides per year. We're talking lottery type odds.

Yea, for sure. Hopefully She will learn to use it properly.

I agree with a .357 with a Hornady, etc .38 in it.

A wise man once said, "Better to have a gun and not need one, than to need a gun and not have one."

Originally Posted By: Skid

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
A wise man once said, "Better to have a gun and not need one, than to need a gun and not have one."

Yea really. No need for me to carry its just an act of putting my finger in the eye of "Fearless Leader". And now that I have been doing it for a while I feel naked without it.

Last edited:
I can never understand recommending a canon for home defense. A 357 mag for someone with arthritis? Will she go the range and put several hundred rounds down range? If she cannot get a 9MM I would go with a 38 but not a P+. If it has to be a 357 have her shoot 38's and not the mags. In any case it has to be something she will can shoot straight. A 357Mag with miss the burglar and go through the next 3 houses.
In any case make sure she goes the the range.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

Yea really. No need for me to carry its just an act of putting my finger in the eye of "Fearless Leader". And now that I have been doing it for a while I feel naked without it.

Wow, the type of citizen i fear most. lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back