40mpg though EPA quotes 37/38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I've never had a (unmodified) vehicle that got EPA rating; everything has always greatly exceeded it.

I am a light driver.

Same here

Me too! Some on this forum will basically call you a liar, but in the case of the Grand Marquis I have consistently got more than the EPA estimate - at least on long trips.

Same with the Impala, on long trips I will on some tanks get over the EPA estimate. A lot depends on driving habits, tires, weather, etc. FWIW on the Impala I usually go by the "hand measurements" but they are usually VERY close (within .3 MPG either way) to what the car display shows!

I beat the estimated mileage in my car constantly, then E10 became mandatory. I took a 10% hit on mileage.

I can get back to my previous mileage by using a full tank of premium fuel (the only E0 available here at some stations), but considering price per kilometer, I'm better off using regular E10.

Not sure why people are surprised by this. The EPA test is just a standard test loop so that you can compare vehicles when new, does not mean what you will get while driving. The average speed of the highway test is only 48 MPH. You get much better FE cruising at a constant speed above that.

Quote:
The "city" program is designed to replicate an urban rush-hour driving experience in which the vehicle is started with the engine cold and is driven in stop-and-go traffic with frequent idling. The car or truck is driven for 11 miles and makes 23 stops over the course of 31 minutes, with an average speed of 20 mph and a top speed of 56 mph. The "highway" program, on the other hand, is created to emulate rural and interstate freeway driving with a warmed-up engine, making no stops (both of which ensure maximum fuel economy). The vehicle is driven for 10 miles over a period of 12.5 minutes with an average speed of 48 mph and a top speed of 60 mph. Both fuel economy tests are performed with the vehicle's air conditioning and other accessories turned off.

https://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/fuel-economy/28004-epa-fuel-economy-explained1.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back