Cordless tool replacement battery, $240 or $38 knock-off?

I bought a off brand replacement lithium battery for my old Craftsman 19.2v nicad. Had to clip off some plastic so it would fit in the charger but it works . Seldom use the drill anymore. More for the right angle one.

I am sure some no name batteries are okay but how do you know? Are they using old laptop batteries as many companies that sell cheap batteries do? These things can be a hazard so personally I would avoid anything but an OE.

I just got a cheap 4AH battery for my Bosch saw. It's a piece of crap and only last 15 minutes of use compared to almost an hour for the 2AH OE. Inquiring about warranty now. :(
Update on this. It seems it needed a few charge/discharge cycles. After 4 it seems to have the added capacity and performing well. Cost was $30 for 4ah, OE (Bosch) is $60 and 2ah.

My neighbor is a airframe mechanic for a big airline. They have to buy their own tools (they do get a small benefit to use as they want for tool replacement etc.) He said when he and his fellow workers look for replacement batteries it's almost always aftermarket ones due to cost. They look for ones that use Sanyo or Panasonic replacements cells. He and his buddies find them to hold up longer to constant recharging.

I always buy once cry once, but I thought I try for a $150.00 savings and bought a Vanon 9.0 A/H battery for $60.00 to replace a Milwaukee @$249.00 and it sucks. Works about 5 minutes in and it's dead.
I had to write Vanon multiple times trying to get service even though their website gave a number for customer service that does not work. After a few days they wrote back. They wanted pictures of the battery ( I can understand that) I also sent them the purchase order number . They then wrote back and wanted a video sent to them showing how long it lasts before they can send me a return authorization. I wrote back and told them I wasn't going to do that for them and they finally sent me a RMA.
It'll cost me $20 more to send the piece of crap Vanon back to get a refund. If I ever did return it, I'd probably lose another 20 bucks shipping doing so. I'll take my loss and dissect it to see what junk batteries are in it.
Don't do business with this company, their batteries are JUNK!

I have Porter Cable 18v tools. Apparently the originals are no longer made so I tried the eBay aftermarket one. I spent the whopping $2 for the Allstate insurance. After 5 months the battery failed and the vendor replaced it. Nine months later the replacement failed and Allstate sent me a check for my purchase price. So I purchased a new 6ah one, with insurance, which works great so far. I am surprised how much more power the reciprocating saw has with 6ah. Made short work of the Christmas tree!

Back