Cordless tool replacement battery, $240 or $38 knock-off?

After 5 or 6 years, this battery won't charge anymore. I do have a good spare so not urgent, but want to keep a backup. Which one would you buy? This original for $240,

Or a knock-off for $38,

After 5 or 6 years, this battery won't charge anymore. I do have a good spare so not urgent, but want to keep a backup. Which one would you buy? This original for $240,

Or a knock-off for $38,

Depends entirely on how I use the tool. I have about 25 batt tools on the Makita 18 & 18X2 system many of these get used every week and rotate batts.

Here are two example of when and why yes or no.

YES - If it's a tool getting intermittent and light to medium duty use like a drill on a solo guy deck build project I can get by with 3rd party stuff, but the decent tested or multiple reviewed 3rd party stuff not the " sort by cost" junk.

YES - running a string trimmer on low or medium for a 1.5 acre yard.

NO- Something like helping a 2-4 guy deck build you are trying to bang out over a three day weekend you are heating up the batt and tool significantly with continuous charger to tool rotation then I'll use factory stuff with better thermal and cycle protection.

I just got a cheap 4AH battery for my Bosch saw. It's a piece of crap and only last 15 minutes of use compared to almost an hour for the 2AH OE. Inquiring about warranty now. :(

If this is for an impact you won't get the ugga duggas. Most cordless impacts need the "bigger" name brand batteries for full oomph.

I ordered a "5 Ah" off-brand for Dewalt, but got a "six" at the same price. Whatever my 2.0 Ah factory one weighs, the math doesn't extrapolate... the six doesn't weigh three times as much.

It is, however, fine for drilling.

Knock off. You can buy several for under $240. I have bought knock offs. They still are holding up after five years.

Or a knock-off for $38,

I’m not convinced about this knockoff frankly. Does Waitly make one?

When it come to knock off battery packs is a buyer beware situation.

Pretty good chance you wont get the capacity that is advertised.

Pretty good chance it wont have as much peak output if being used in a high output tool.

Of coarse there are exceptions but I would keep your expectations low.

Myself I only get the brand name battery packs.

I replaced the batteries in my DeWalt combo after a decade, with Chineseum’s . IIRC about $35 and they’ve been doing a good job for 5 years or so. I figured the OEM’s were of the same origin so…….

Or a knock-off for $38,

Since we already know you bought the knockoff, how is it working out?

I have a knockoff ryobi and dewalt going about 4 years and they are still good.

Back