.38 Special Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I meant by a different system up there is that the State Troopers pretty much have all the authority. Each municipality has police but they are pretty much the old fashioned "Town Cops" they are not allowed to have radar guns, get converted cruisers, no big budgets. Nothing like city police depts down South. the biggest difference is the sherriff Dept, I noticed down South they do alot and Are the dominant police force, where up North in Pennsylvania, sherriffs pretty much guard the courthouse, serve warrants and haul prisoners around. Down South the Troopers are more highway patrol, The State troopers are more multitask in Pennsyvania with thier own SWAT and etc, thats what I meant. If youve been a State trooper for 28 years that is apparently where you got that you have got to be right attitude on everything. Semi wadcutters are ussually made out of a harder lead than the lead bullets on round nose since they are ussually cast. This is why alot of hunters prefer them for big game because they penetrate better, even better than jacketed bullets which become fragmented when they hit bone. My "opinion was based on this knowledge that people are very "soft" compared to animals. Regardless people are less likely to want to fight if you shoot them anywhere with anything especially the goblins that try to rob a homeowner, if they even think you have a gun they are likely to flight. Bears, big dogs and boars, you better have that one shot stop worked out with the right gun, ammo and accuracy, because once they are committed you are too. P.S That PA shootout, what made it so interesting up there was the fact that niether shooter did take cover, fired 18 shots total at less than 10 feet apart, at 4:30 in the afternoon. It was wierd, but it did happen that way.

Quote:

Do you really carry Glasers? Wow. You might want to rethink that.

Are you suggesting he ditch those for some super expanding 158 round nose lead bulets?
cheers.gif

Rad a paco kelly article (I think) on placing a soft lead ball in the front of a mould (Oz spelling) and putting a harder base on it. Seemed to offer best of both worlds.

offtopic.gif
and WRT expansion on concrete. I hate when the Police (BG...before Glock) came to our range on fridays. Saturdays we would find lead "washers" all over the firing line. Purposeful or accidental, wrong as.

Quote:

Quote:

Do you really carry Glasers? Wow. You might want to rethink that.

Are you suggesting he ditch those for some super expanding 158 round nose lead bulets?
cheers.gif

I'd rather have something that penetrates than something that doesn't.

I think Federal needs to load their EFMJ in .38 Special.

I was talking to some security people today that have more experience with the .38 special and their loadings and they all seemed to really like the 110 gr. jacketed HP. They claim it is a potent stopper, because of the lighter bullet it gets up to speed to expand. Speer was thier favorite factory load, but said Corbon made the round also. They said they had problems with the lead round nose overpentrating and none of them really had any opinions on semi wadcutter rounds.

Security guards are prime targets in Oz these days.

Armed bandit approaches two security guards, both armed.

Bandit gets that cash, AND another two pistols.

I can't work out how that happens (although it does remind me of MarkC's post regarding action versus waiting)

Having worked in the security field it just depends on where one works. The company I worked for had HUD housing in their contracts. They averaged a few shootings a year on average. In Kansas City Kansas we were allowed to carry what the KCK PD was allowed to carry- .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, 9mm, .40 Caliber etc... all the way down to .380. If you were assigned to Kansas City Missouri the .357 Magnum had to be reloaded with .38 Special but, KCMO did allow 10mm also.

110 grain in a .38 Special is a bad choice. It is mainly geared for snub nose revolvers. Does not penetrate well at all. Most Security folks are not that gun savy at all. Most just like the police are not gun people. Gun only being shot at qualification time yearly.

Some security companies have a policy in place for situations when it comes to money etc... Some are told not to engage the bad guys, just give the money to them. I do not agree with those kind of policies and will not work for such companies. Why be armed in the first place? I was offered a job my a former FBI agent who owns one of the largest security companies in the area, he told me if someone came into the bank to rob it that I was NOT to engage the bad guys and if the bad guys ordered me to give them my gun that I'm to comply with those orders. Needless to say I did not go to work for such a company. I threw the situation into his lap and asked him if he would give up his weapon in such a situation, guess what, I did not get an answer out of him. What a joke!

Theres as many opinions on ammo for each caliber as motor oil for every car. Guess thats why they carry a variety and sell a variety. Iam gonna stick with my original lead round nose suggestion, all Barney Fife had to carry was one bullet, that ought to tell you right there!!

Thanks for the opinions guys--will definitely pick a +P jacketed hollow point 125 gr or higher from whatever is available at the local Wal-Mart or gun store. Remington has a "Core-Lokt" JHP 125 grain that looks to be competitive with the other manufacturers, may go with this as it's probably more available than the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr round.

Thanks for all the info--just came back from the gun store with Winchester .38 special +P 158 gr LSWCHP. Checked 3 places and they had almost no .38 special +P ammo at all to choose from. From what I read here these are a good choice. Really wanted the Speer 135 gr Gold Dots as many consider these state of the art but I don't think I can go wrong with the "FBI Load" either!

I carry a Glock .40, but at home it's the S/W .38 special. The simple, reliable, low recoil hollow point round is ideal for home defense, especially where the wife may be the one having to stop the threat.

I see noone stated the plain ol wadcutters are good also. I have the same 38 as you and i prefer a jacketed soft point +p load. The 38 in general does not have the velocity to reliably expand hollow points unless a solid object is hit ie bone. The old nyclad rounds were wadcutter bullets that were put in backwards. I dont want to start any issues but also consider how often you practice. I carry a 38 snubbie when i have to and i really dont think it is the best choice but it does go bang everytime and it is 5 shots. If i have to shoot someone with a 38 regardless of the load or barrel length i plan on having to hit them more than once.

MadMike you can try academy too if you have one near you. I believe they sell them if I remember right.

My questions are:

1. Can you shoot +P rounds in a taurus .38 special? It has no specs other than the serial# KA59xxx.

2. Im guessing nothing higher than 158gr is recommended in a 1968 burgo .38 special?

Good gosh people, ease up on Panzerman. BTW, anyone care to step in front of that round nosed lead??? I didn't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back