Savage 24J-DL .22 ammo question

Those Savage combos were pretty popular for Turkey hunting in Pa. I believe the only chamberings at first were 20 ga., 3in. with a .22LR barrel. 22 WMR is a good bit more powerful but doesn't have the accuracy of a .22 LR.

My father didn't like the exposed hammer on the Savage 24's, so he bought another briefly available Euro made, Savage branded combo gun. That had an internal hammer 20 ga., 3in. with a .222 Remington rifle barrel. Perfect! I believe it was Italian made or perhaps Finnish. It took Beretta choke tubes. I wound up with it many years later. I sold it and too cheaply. I quit hunting some years ago after 50 years. PA. has outlawed rifle hunting for Fall Turkeys a couple of years ago. Declining populations, like all bird life, from all the avian diseases and habitat changes.

Those Savage combos were pretty popular for Turkey hunting in Pa. I believe the only chamberings at first were 20 ga., 3in. with a .22LR barrel. 22 WMR is a good bit more powerful but doesn't have the accuracy of a .22 LR.

My father didn't like the exposed hammer on the Savage 24's, so he bought another briefly available Euro made, Savage branded combo gun. That had an internal hammer 20 ga., 3in. with a .222 Remington rifle barrel. Perfect! I believe it was Italian made or perhaps Finnish. It took Beretta choke tubes. I wound up with it many years later. I sold it and too cheaply. I quit hunting some years ago after 50 years. PA. has outlawed rifle hunting for Fall Turkeys a couple of years ago. Declining populations, like all bird life, from all the avian diseases and habitat changes.
Interestingly enough my grandfather lived in PA.

Back