Savage 24J-DL .22 ammo question

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I got my grandfather's Savage 24J-DL when my grandmother passed away about 12 years ago. It is a 20 gauge/.22 combo so shotgun barrel on the bottom and .22 barrel on the top with a hammer you cock and selector lever on the hammer to choose the upper or lower barrel. How do I find out which .22 ammo to use? He had some Federal .22 LR (which I have and appears to be useable/in good shape/in original boxes, some of the ammo was not so I had it disposed of at the local police station) so I assume that's what it is. Googling yielded some info suggesting .22 WMR or even magnum. In my caveman gun knowledge brain, .22 is .22 w/r to diameter of the round it's just the length of the casing that differs and therefore the "punch" the ammo has. Any help with this question?

1000018809.jpg

I can't profess to know that gun, but not marking on the barrel?

Markings: The top of the rifle barrel is marked “22 WIN. MAGNUM R. F. ONLY”. The left side of the shotgun barrel is marked “PROOF TESTED 20 GAUGE / —3 INCH CHAMBER—”. The right side of the shotgun barrel is marked “SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION / WESTFIELD, MASS. U. S. A.”. The right side of the receiver is marked “SAVAGE 24J—DL”.

Do NOT shoot .22LR if Win Magnum. Somebody maybe did it once..............

Last edited:
I can't profess to know that gun, but not marking on the barrel?

Markings: The top of the rifle barrel is marked “22 WIN. MAGNUM R. F. ONLY”. The left side of the shotgun barrel is marked “PROOF TESTED 20 GAUGE / —3 INCH CHAMBER—”. The right side of the shotgun barrel is marked “SAVAGE ARMS CORPORATION / WESTFIELD, MASS. U. S. A.”. The right side of the receiver is marked “SAVAGE 24J—DL”.

Do NOT shoot .22LR if Win Magnum. Somebody maybe did it once..............

Here's what mine has. Nothing on the .22.

1000018812.jpg
1000018810.jpg

Savage chambered these in both .22 LR and ..22 Win Mag. Strange that the barrel isn't marked which caliber. The only way to make sure would be to try and insert a .22 Mag into the chamber. If it doesn't insert all the way it is chambered for .22 LR.

INTERESTING!

You have any estimate when made?

Pretty sure a LR chamber would not accept a WMR cartridge....I would say borrow a round or buy a small box.......

EDIT: How about under the scope mount?
No clue. Likely the '60s would be my guess. There it is!!! .22 Winchester Magnum only. Thank you.

1000018813.jpg

I'll pick up some and clean it up and shoot it - seems like a cool hunting gun from the bit of reading I did.

SWEET GUN. My dad chucked my Grandpa's single shot .410. So I - in the early 1990's - I bought a new single shot .410. NE ARMs. Like $100 new. Crazy.
I think so - really cool the combo deal and .20 vs. .410 is interesting. Anyway, when he died (a LONG time ago) she just had these all and when she passed we went through them and there were only a few worth it to me to keep so I grabbed up this one just due to it being somewhat unique (to me anyway). Glad I didn't shoot the .22 LR in this..apparently that can be bad. ahhaha

,22 rifles can be very finicky on the ammunition used. Good idea is to buy two or three brands and shoot them in at 25 or 50 yards. Look at the groupings. Which one has the best accuracy and precision? Then shoot that brand exclusively.

Those Savage 24 DL's are nice guns. Made back when most every .22 came with a nice Walnut stock. Not Birch or plastic like so many of today's models.

An old toothbrush and some oil works well in getting any dirt and rust out where the barrels are soldered together.

Back