2nd Kreen Cleaning -- 98 Camry V6 -- Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Artem

I did poke at the juicy build up area in question and the stuff is super soft. I know a blast of carb cleaner will melt that stuff right off! I'm shocked that none of these cleaners have managed to get it off yet.

I said this earlier and it might be worth saying again. My bet is the next cleaner in the engine will take the cake. Something you used softened it up, or a combination of products did. As far as the staining goes, that won't come off easily with any of the engine cleaners.

Good luck, you've certainly gone the distance!

Honestly... the stuff has been soft since the beginning of my testing close to 30k ago. I expected regular PYB would've cleaned it off.

So what products shall I put on my "to-do" list for future cleanings, if ARX+ doesn't work it's magic as suggested?

right now it's:

1: ARX+
2: MMO
3: Seafoam maybe?
4: ?
5: ?

I've got nothing better to do then to remove the valve cover for daily inspections...
35.gif

"It ran GREAT until I fixed it" I have a Gen 4 with 300 K which has never seen any mouse milk. It has had M1 or T6 for all those miles.

Last edited:

I did poke at the juicy build up area in question and the stuff is super soft. I know a blast of carb cleaner will melt that stuff right off! I'm shocked that none of these cleaners have managed to get it off yet.

I said this earlier and it might be worth saying again. My bet is the next cleaner in the engine will take the cake. Something you used softened it up, or a combination of products did. As far as the staining goes, that won't come off easily with any of the engine cleaners.

Honestly... the stuff has been soft since the beginning of my testing close to 30k ago. I expected regular PYB would've cleaned it off.

So what products shall I put on my "to-do" list for future cleanings, if ARX+ doesn't work it's magic as suggested?

right now it's:

I've got nothing better to do then to remove the valve cover for daily inspections...
35.gif

How about Amsoil's or Liqui-Moly's flush?

right now it's:

35.gif

I did like 2 or 3 Amsoil flushes while using Amsoil OE and there was absolutely ZERO difference. Amsoil's flush is only good for a quick rinse prior to draining used oil. I saw no benefit from it.

Originally Posted By: Trav
No the intake is not subject to the same conditions under the cover.
The manifold runs much cooler and carb cleaner will shift it with no problems so this is meaningless.

Did you test it on the head under the cover?

Negative. I didn't want to mess up test mule as there was no really good spot to spray and do the experiment. I did poke at the juicy build up area in question and the stuff is super soft. I know a blast of carb cleaner will melt that stuff right off! I'm shocked that none of these cleaners have managed to get it off yet.

If you try it on a very small spot without scrubbing or brushing it wont skew the results.
If nothing more than to humor me. I mean the valve cover is off anyway whats it going to hurt
smile.gif

No the intake is not subject to the same conditions under the cover.
The manifold runs much cooler and carb cleaner will shift it with no problems so this is meaningless.

Did you test it on the head under the cover?

Negative. I didn't want to mess up test mule as there was no really good spot to spray and do the experiment. I did poke at the juicy build up area in question and the stuff is super soft. I know a blast of carb cleaner will melt that stuff right off! I'm shocked that none of these cleaners have managed to get it off yet.

If you try it on a very small spot without scrubbing or brushing it wont skew the results.
If nothing more than to humor me. I mean the valve cover is off anyway whats it going to hurt
smile.gif

Alright... I'll do a few squirts the next time I pull the valve cover, just for you...

right now it's:

35.gif

How about..

3: Liqui-Moly
4: Amsoil
5: Ghasp..Seafoam (Isopropyl alcohol in your oil
shocked2.gif
)
6: PU or M1 HM

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I say try MMO next. 1qt is $5 at Walmart. What many of us old timers have used for decades. Your in a good position to test MMO compared to other cleaners.

I agree with this. I would be honestly very curious to see if MMO has any result in cleaning it up at all. Considering the price, I would be curious to see if it provides any benefit. Although Kreen may have loosened the dirt so it would be hard to tell. Again.. I would still be curious. Than if MMO doesnt work try RX.

I would say that demarpaint probably knows best when it comes to MMO. He has used it for a very long time. I can't wait for the results of that testing.

I will say this-I have looked for the magic engine cleaner that will clean the insides of a dirty engine for a very long time. If NONE of these cleaners works what are we left with?

I remember this Saturn dealership in Colorado Springs Colorado that had a machine that would pump hot high detergent oil at high pressure through a non-running engine. Did Saturn have the right idea a long time ago?

I hate to say this but what if Skyship was right in some of his original message? What if you have to remove parts like the oil pan and physically clean as much of the insides of an engine as you possibly can?

Pennzoil has engine sequence testing results that indicate that Pennzoil Ultra and Pennzoil Platinum motor oils clean. And Mobil 1 might keep an engine pretty clean through at least a good deal of the engine's lifetime.

And of course an engine does have a lifetime, just like anything else. Maybe we really can expect just that normal lifetime.

But at least somebody is actually doing testing with photographic evidence of the results. Thank you Artem.

You should give PU a try. My brother's Toyota Avalon with the same engine is pretty clean after using it for a 5k. BUT I also dont know how it looked before the PU went in. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to try it.

At least Pennzoil has the results of actual engine sequence testing to back up their claims of engine cleaning.

Artem's testing the cleaning power additives not oil, why he's posting in this forum. Our wallets appreciate what he's doing.

I've always used MMO similar to Kreen - the last 1k-1500. But I've gone longer than that.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
I say try MMO next. 1qt is $5 at Walmart. What many of us old timers have used for decades. Your in a good position to test MMO compared to other cleaners.

I agree with this. I would be honestly very curious to see if MMO has any result in cleaning it up at all. Considering the price, I would be curious to see if it provides any benefit. Although Kreen may have loosened the dirt so it would be hard to tell. Again.. I would still be curious. Than if MMO doesnt work try RX.

Honestly with all the cleaners that have been run through that engine even if there were some fantastic cleaning results it would be hard to determine which product did the real cleaning. I've seen cleaning continue after an oil change which contained Kreen still show improvement when the Kreen was changed out, and only oil was run. Same thing with MMO. The products did their job, and softened garbage was still being removed.

Yes, with so many cleaners run through this engine if the next cleaner works how do we evaluate the results? Is that cleaner the magic cleaner or did all of the cleaners contribute to the cleaning?

For good testing it really would be necessary to stick to one cleaner. And probably add that cleaner to a typical conventional motor oil. Because if we used an oil like Pennzoil Platinum that is supposed to be able to clean maybe the oil would be doing the cleaning and not the cleaner.

And there could be other problems with this engine, like the PCV. Correct any mechanical problems and maybe the next cleaner would have an easier time of cleaning.

It might be nice if we had a few people with dirty engines taking before and after photographs and testing one cleaner each in a conventional motor oil. Then we could compares the results.

Maybe have somebody else just use a motor oil that is supposed to clean well, like Pennzoil Platinum.

I agree that perhaps all three engine cleaners (Amsoil's flush, Auto-RX and Kreen) did their part and softened up the crud.

My before / after examination of Amsoil's flush didn't show a single hint of improvement.

My before / after examination of Auto-RX did show improvement in cleanliness.

My before / after examination of Kreen did show a very slight improvement in cleanliness.

If any of these cleaners were actually doing serious cleaning, I'd expect the stuff to be gone by the end of the cleaning phase. Since the stuff still remains, obviously the cleaner didn't do a good job or else it would be gone.

I'm doing my part in finding which cleaner removes the most of the build up. Once I find out which product succeeds, it will be up to the rest of BITOG to repeat the experiment and confirm the results.

Say Auto-RX Plus manages to fully remove the deposits. I will sleep easy knowing that my engine is finally clean and will award ARX+ the winner (this is just an example, People!)

The next guy with a dirty engine should go straight to ARX+ (or MMO, Seafoam, etc) for engine cleaning and confirm the results once again.

THEN and only then can we fully conclude that clean XYZ truly cleans while all others do a sub par job at it, breaking off tiny peaces over the course of 100,000 miles+

I'm leaning towards ARX+ because I've had decent success with the older formula and hope that the new stronger formulation will clean better.

I'm leaning towards ARX+ because I've had decent success with the older formula and hope that the new stronger formulation will clean better.

Good choice, since nobody on this site has used Auto-Rx Plus, we shall eventually find out if this product is worth buying.

I used Lubegard Engine Flush but not their directions for use as Amsoil's flush: "Add one bottle of LUBEGARD Engine Flush and circulate at idle for 5 to 10 minutes. Stop the engine and drain as usual."

I added 2 oz Lubegard Engine Flush to 8 qts of oil in E430 before oil change, drove as usual for about 300 miles with daily round trip of about 50 miles, then changed the oil. I checked the oil color with 1 drop blotter every day, the oil was getting darker very rapidly every 50 miles and got very black after 300 miles.

I didn't remove the valve cover to check before and after the flush, because there wasn't any oil leak around the gasket and i don't like the idea of messing with the valve cover. But the way the oil color changed I think the Lubegard Engine Flush did some serious cleaning.

A bottle of Lubegard Engine Flush is about $10-12, and can be used for 5-6 cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back