Honda K24a oil consumption b12 plan

Good day BITOG people,

Based in the UK.

So, I have a JDM k24a engine that is new to me (2nd hand) in a 90s civic track car. Upon inspection the internals of the engine were squeaky clean, no varnish, sludge build up etc in the bottom end, timing cover etc whilst I was doing the timing chain, oil pump etc.

What I did find was the previous Japanese owner had done quite a few miles on an open pcv valve, soaked intake manifold, intake valves and the crowns of the pistons were quite grubby.

I suspect oil control ring issues from carbon buildup and nasty top end partially burnt oil getting into them.

Oil consumption is currently at 400/500ML (1/2qt) every 1k miles ISH, extrapolating from my current 800miles use on the car. She made 260hp and runs a dream, gets used hard, doesn't smoke. PCV setup no longer recirculating into the intake, will be adding a vacuum assisted catch can setup purely for the bottom crank case in the future.

Current oil is 5w40 millers CFs nt+.
Fuel 99 shell vpower

I plan a thorough b12 soak and will use this post to update as I go. I'm on track the 26th May and will carry out the soak the commencing week.

Outside of the b12 soak, what UK available treatments would you also recommend...no DSMO as the sump is painted internally.

First picture is piston crown prior to 800 miles running on clean map using stated oil and vpower fuel, no pcv.

Second picture, 800 miles as above. Notice wet edge, third is worst offender, piston 3. Will be ordering a 90 degree mirror for bore scope to check cylinder scoring.

Many thanks 👍

20221109193711134.jpg

20240430185131564.jpg
20240430185146454.jpg

20240430185146454.jpg

I used a B12 soak on my old k24 followed by a Marvel Mystery Oil soak. I figured restoring a bit of top end lubrication after the solvent was a good thing.

I also started introducing 5w40. This took consumption into roughly the 2500+ mi/qt range.

I used a B12 soak on my old k24 followed by a Marvel Mystery Oil soak. I figured restoring a bit of top end lubrication after the solvent was a good thing.

I also started introducing 5w40. This took consumption into roughly the 2500+ mi/qt range.
Yes, most definitely will be misting the cylinders post soak prior to running and will be turning the engine by hand during the soaking process.

Yes, most definitely will be misting the cylinders post soak prior to running and will be turning the engine by hand during the soaking process.
I also noticed two of my cylinders draining the fluids much faster than others. Keep an eye out for this, it’ll tell you which cylinders might need more attention.

Milage on that engine?
Diesel and or WD40 after B12 maybe.

If it has been tracked and is driven with purpose I doubt you will actually get the oil consumption do go down significantly.
Be happy if the oil consumption is low(er) when driven as daily.
Also check the valve seals.

Milage on that engine?
Diesel and or WD40 after B12 maybe.

If it has been tracked and is driven with purpose I doubt you will actually get the oil consumption do go down significantly.
Be happy if the oil consumption is low(er) when driven as daily.
Also check the valve seals.
Unknown mileage unfortunately, I'm not gunna throw it back at the supplier at this point, condition wise, the engine was lovely inside, cams were great, no junk anywhere bottom end, minimal wear and makes good power, over 200ftlb torque out of a little n/a 2.4 with breathing mods. I'm using it for track use 70% of the time, it's hard to gauge normal street driving, she is running quite an aggressive final drive in a y2m3 dc5 box so crusing is still quite high in the rpm 😆

Misting the cylinders wise, I'll either use some pretreatment oil based product, or make up a mist with some assembly lubricant and solvent like IPA perhaps.

You should also run some sort of Engine Cleaner or Flush to get the to the oil control rings.
Definitely an idea, any recommendations for our UK market, liquid moly seems to be non aggressive, non solvent based detergent, hoping the millers triple ester combo and shorter OCI will aid over time too.

i did a berrymans B-12 soak in our K24 followed by a BG EPR flush followed by valvoline restore and protect with HPL EC30 now filled with their PCEO 5w-40. replaced the PCV valve also and it’s still burning oil. i thought it was gone but she has 4k miles on the sump now and it’s almost at the low mark of the dipstick. if it doesn’t improve over the ready of the OCI it will be going back to a diet of PUP 5w-30 every 5k.

i will say consumption improved dramatically after the B12 soak.

Unknown mileage unfortunately, I'm not gunna throw it back at the supplier at this point, condition wise, the engine was lovely inside, cams were great, no junk anywhere bottom end, minimal wear and makes good power, over 200ftlb torque out of a little n/a 2.4 with breathing mods. I'm using it for track use 70% of the time, it's hard to gauge normal street driving, she is running quite an aggressive final drive in a y2m3 dc5 box so crusing is still quite high in the rpm 😆

Misting the cylinders wise, I'll either use some pretreatment oil based product, or make up a mist with some assembly lubricant and solvent like IPA perhaps.

Definitely an idea, any recommendations for our UK market, liquid moly seems to be non aggressive, non solvent based detergent, hoping the millers triple ester combo and shorter OCI will aid over time too.
Never used Liquimoly, but there are people on here who use their products and have good things to say. I have used BG EPR and HPL engine cleaner and Risolne myself. I would not hesitate to use the Liquimoly Proline Engine Flush after you piston soak.

i did a berrymans B-12 soak in our K24 followed by a BG EPR flush followed by valvoline restore and protect with HPL EC30 now filled with their PCEO 5w-40. replaced the PCV valve also and it’s still burning oil. i thought it was gone but she has 4k miles on the sump now and it’s almost at the low mark of the dipstick. if it doesn’t improve over the ready of the OCI it will be going back to a diet of PUP 5w-30 every 5k.

i will say consumption improved dramatically after the B12 soak.
Well, definitely manageable then! I'm very tempted by a 0w30 but need to do some more research.

*Thinking out loud - Basic thinking could on the other hand conclude that thicker oils may have issues passing through the oil control rings and returning to the bore/sump, so a thicker oil is actually perhaps also a contributing factor to consider* ..... No way an expert but anyone else have perhaps some info / resources on using thicker oil outside of the obvious bearing clearances etc.

I do remember seeing a good write up by a gentleman with lotuselise as a name or some other.

I did 1 B12 Chemtool piston soak followed by runs of Rislone, Gumout Multi-System Tune Up, HPL EC30 and Motul XClean 5w40 in my Elements k24. You will be fine running the Millers and piston soak w B12. My consumption went from roughly 2qts per 5k mile oil change down to 8oz per 5k now. This took 2 years to get here but be patient. The piston soak,6-8hrs, cut consumption in half. Good luck and keep us posted

I did 1 B12 Chemtool piston soak followed by runs of Rislone, Gumout Multi-System Tune Up, HPL EC30 and Motul XClean 5w40 in my Elements k24. You will be fine running the Millers and piston soak w B12. My consumption went from roughly 2qts per 5k mile oil change down to 8oz per 5k now. This took 2 years to get here but be patient. The piston soak,6-8hrs, cut consumption in half. Good luck and keep us posted
Will do, I plan on a much longer soak, something akin to 5-6 day soak 😆

*Edit* with a warmup cycle in-between ofc to burn off the b12 in the sump....don't exactly want the first start after the full soak to be 40% solvent after multiple cans of b12 👌👍😆

Reactions: wlk
Will do, I plan on a much longer soak, something akin to 5-6 day soak 😆

*Edit* with a warmup cycle in-between ofc to burn off the b12 in the sump....don't exactly want the first start after the full soak to be 40% solvent after multiple cans of b12 👌👍😆
You could also just leave the drain bolt off and collect the chemicals that get through the rings

Back