2GR-FE block question AWD/FWD

Hey guys, I bought my wife a an RX350 with a blown engine and am now looking at replacement options - found plenty of 2GR-FE engines from Camrys, Avalons and so on, but those are all FWD engines. I know there is a part number difference and have ran into a similar issue when I worked at a different shop (they were replacing an engine in a Highlander and received a FWD instead of AWD) and it was supposedly a no go.

Can anyone tell me specifically what the difference is? I'm pretty handy, so may be able make a FWD work if it comes to adding a mount for the PTU or...

My understanding is that FWD and AWD 2GR-FE's are the same, but there are some differences depending on the model:

- Some models include an oil cooler, others do not. I think all Highlander engines have the oil cooler, but only the Sienna and RAV4's with a tow pkg will have it.
- Some models (Lexus ones) will have an oil level sensor on the upper pan. If your model doesn't have one, you may need to transfer the upper pan.

Before installing the engine, I would definitely reseal the timing cover and replace the water pump.

Last edited:
There is probably a on engine wire harness difference. Swap over the old harness.
I ran into this problem in a 2003 awd matrix using a fwd engine.

My understanding is that FWD and AWD 2GR-FE's are the same, but there are some differences depending on the model:

- Some models include an oil cooler, others do not. I think all Highlander engines have the oil cooler, but only the Sienna and RAV4's with a tow pkg will have it.
- Some models (Lexus ones) will have an oil level sensor on the upper pan. If your model doesn't have one, you may need to transfer the upper pan.

Before installing the engine, I would definitely reseal the timing cover and replace the water pump.
The dealer wasn't of a huge amount of help, but did opine that the engines without the cooler will accept the cooler from one that had it?

It did seem really odd to me that Toyota would cast 2 entirely different blocks for awd/fwd but weirder things have happened...

I think I'll get the car on the asap and see if I can identify any mounts/bolt holes that may exist on the current engine and see if they appear on the engines listed online (JDM)

There is probably a on engine wire harness difference. Swap over the old harness.
I ran into this problem in a 2003 awd matrix using a fwd engine.
I fully expect minor differences in that department and had already planned on swapping the existing harness on to the new engine

The dealer wasn't of a huge amount of help, but did opine that the engines without the cooler will accept the cooler from one that had it?

It did seem really odd to me that Toyota would cast 2 entirely different blocks for awd/fwd but weirder things have happened...

I think I'll get the car on the asap and see if I can identify any mounts/bolt holes that may exist on the current engine and see if they appear on the engines listed online (JDM)
This might be on some help:

It seems unlikely that the AWD/FWD blocks are different, but it is possible.

These engines have gotten quite expensive and all of them are fairly high mileage. I recently went thru this exercise with my FIL's Camry and ultimately decided to rebuild the one I had.

Anything that's different can probably be swapped over (you keep your old parts that are different and then swap them onto the new engine) :unsure:

Since you need to replace the engine anyway, you can probably install an Evora supercharger if you can find one :sneaky:

And of course, remember to replace anything routine that will be impossible to service once installed on the car :D
(spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, etc)

This might be on some help:

It seems unlikely that the AWD/FWD blocks are different, but it is possible.

These engines have gotten quite expensive and all of them are fairly high mileage. I recently went thru this exercise with my FIL's Camry and ultimately decided to rebuild the one I had.
Going by his list, I'd say the FWD engine should work. He lists the interchange number (ICNum) as 65035 with some different suffix letters.

I just can't imagine it not working with some parts change over??

Anything that's different can probably be swapped over (you keep your old parts that are different and then swap them onto the new engine) :unsure:

Since you need to replace the engine anyway, you can probably install an Evora supercharger if you can find one :sneaky:

And of course, remember to replace anything routine that will be impossible to service once installed on the car :D
(spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, etc)
Definitely going to give it a solid once over. I plan on pulling the pan, timing and rocker covers, to inspect and reseal, along with new plugs, coil boots, water pump and serpentine tensioner/idlers.

As for the supercharger, not sure the wife needs one of those... I am sure that she would WANT one though! Her current ride, the Aviator has the DOHC 4.6 making about 300hp with 3.73's and she does use 'em from time to time. The Lexus at 270hp is making virtually identical power to weight, so hopefully she wont be too disappointed.

Definitely going to give it a solid once over. I plan on pulling the pan, timing and rocker covers, to inspect and reseal, along with new plugs, coil boots, water pump and serpentine tensioner/idlers.
If you need it, I can PM you a parts list.

The service short block fits RX350 from 07-2015 (you didnt say what year yours is so I guessed at 2012) As well as Avalon, Camry, Highlander and ES350. An original engine may not have the mounting points drilled and tapped for the PTO but the bosses should be there. Cylinder heads Do change a few times so there may be some issues there with fitment

The service short block fits RX350 from 07-2015 (you didnt say what year yours is so I guessed at 2012) As well as Avalon, Camry, Highlander and ES350. An original engine may not have the mounting points drilled and tapped for the PTO but the bosses should be there. Cylinder heads Do change a few times so there may be some issues there with fitment
Talk about neglecting critical need to know information 😂

It's a 2007.

So I wonder why they're only listing it as 2007 to 2009?

Talk about neglecting critical need to know information 😂

It's a 2007.

So I wonder why they're only listing it as 2007 to 2009?
If you are looking at used engines the interchanges generally list what is a "Plug and play" engine and then a will work with modification/parts transfer. Quite possible there is a difference in something like the intake manifold or oil pan that makes it not a direct replacement. I always count on transferring or replacing everything but the long block when I do an engine so I dont worry a whole lot

AFAIK, unless the GR engine is a longitudinally-mounted version for use in a AWD Lexus IS/GS, the transverse ones should be largely the same. The PTO mounts to the transmission output side and the subframe. I would look on eBay and check out a few listings to see if there’s a significant difference.

Hey do you know if the 2gr-fe longblock from a 2007 sienna can be replaced with a longblock from a 2011 2gr-fe sienna? I've extensively searched the internet with no definitive answers.

I'm looking to just reuse and swap over all the externals parts, intake, wire harness, alt, P/s pump etc. from old (2007) to replacement (2011) longblock. and drop back in to the 2007 car. Will I be able to do this with these 2 different generation 2gr-fe engines? I hope you can help it seems you know your 2gr-fe engines.

Back