283,500 miles CVT fluid 1st change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by mcrn
Was it that color on a rag or in a container?

Color on a paper towel. Same as I use for motor oil.

Originally Posted by 4WD
What …? !

The Tribol leaders should vote you off the island …
Charge ? ATF Slacker ðŸ§

Nah... whatever 4 wd
lol.gif

I just was not worried about it.

I will say that going into this upcoming winter I felt like it would be a good time to change it. In the winters of 2014, 2015 and 2017 my area actually saw temperatures going below 0°F... And I have noticed this summer even that the car's transmission has been a bit loud at times while warming up. I figured well it ain't going to get better when it gets colder. Especially given how seriously cold it has gotten at times in the last 5 years.

No codes from the transmission... I have a good scan tool for awhile now. Which was another reason I was not all too concerned. Car has not had any issue going into limp mode either.

Well, it seems as though the Castrol Transmax CVT fluid is getting some good, successful reviews on this forum. I for one have done the Altima & Civic in my signature with the Castrol and all is fine.

Originally Posted by bbhero

The reason I asked is when I changed the CVT fluid for the first time on my Rogue at 40k miles it was still green on a rag but when I poured it into a water bottle it was such a dark green that light would not pass through it.

I'm impressed with 283K on any A/T let alone a CVT and let alone a Nissan.
I have avoided looking at Nissans when purchasing used cars because of perceived quality
issues since the Renault marriage. (My 1992 Sentra SER was awesome and reliable)
I may have to reconsider.
What years of Altima were problematic?

PS: Good Luck bbhero...I hope you get anther 300K out of that Nissan...

The reason I asked is when I changed the CVT fluid for the first time on my Rogue at 40k miles it was still green on a rag but when I poured it into a water bottle it was such a dark green that light would not pass through it.

Yeah that makes sense ^^^^^

The CVT fluid in my car did not have any color at all even at 80k miles...

Originally Posted by pbm
I'm impressed with 283K on any A/T let alone a CVT and let alone a Nissan.
I have avoided looking at Nissans when purchasing used cars because of perceived quality
issues since the Renault marriage. (My 1992 Sentra SER was awesome and reliable)
I may have to reconsider.
What years of Altima were problematic?

PS: Good Luck bbhero...I hope you get anther 300K out of that Nissan...

Yeah the ol car has been rolling along pretty good
lol.gif

The models with CVT before mine had issues... Say 04-06. Then the newer CVT in the 2013-14 and maybe 2015s had some issues has well.

I have also noticed that the 1.6 and 2.5 motor combinations with CVTs have had more issues than the 3.5s... and I have done A LOT of reading on that.

It is my hypothesis that the 3.5 L motors work better with the CVT because it has more power that transfers to the transmission better. Especially at lower speeds and higher load circumstances. I think people forget that a motor/transmission work together to move a car or truck. And that relationship has to be synergistic for there to be no problems along the way.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
most nissan cvts only last 32-36k miles
shocked.gif

Id like to know where you got this info!
98k miles on our Quest van original cvt.

Yeah, same here! And I did mine at 51K miles. Green & clear on the white rag but, when I poured the old fluid into a clear milk jug it was dark.

Originally Posted by cronk
shocked.gif

Yeah really! I do however believe that it is Hit or Miss with these trannies.

However, I have three neighbors with Altimas(IIRC...'08, '10, '14) and all have quite high mileage and none have changed their CVT fluid. Nor are they thinking about doing so.

I also have a non neighbor friend that just blew his tranny in the '09-'10 Altima 2.5 at over 200K miles and he never maintained the tranny.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by cronk
shocked.gif

Yeah really! I do however believe that it is Hit or Miss with these trannies.

However, I have three neighbors with Altimas(IIRC...'08, '10, '14) and all have quite high mileage and none have changed their CVT fluid. Nor are they thinking about doing so.

I also have a non neighbor friend that just blew his tranny in the '09-'10 Altima 2.5 at over 200K miles and he never maintained the tranny.

CB I do not believe that fluid has any real bearing on how well a transmission performs... The vast majority of CVT transmission issues happen rather early in their service life. Less than 60k miles typically on average. That leads me to believe that the issue is not fluid related but mechanical in nature or even computer ECM related. Typical operation conditions are also a big factor has well... In a hotter temp area combined with a lot of stop and go driving pattern is not helpful in terms of transmission life either. In my circumstance it was the best of operating situations. A lot of open highway driving and not severely hot 100 °F or hotter very often either.

CB I do not believe that fluid has any real bearing on how well a transmission performs... The vast majority of CVT transmission issues happen rather early in their service life. Less than 60k miles typically on average. That leads me to believe that the issue is not fluid related but mechanical in nature or even computer ECM related. Typical operation conditions are also a big factor has well... In a hotter temp area combined with a lot of stop and go driving pattern is not helpful in terms of transmission life either. In my circumstance it was the best of operating situations. A lot of open highway driving and not severely hot 100 °F or hotter very often either.

I agree with you on this.

If there is going to be trouble, it's going to happen anyway. I know that the Honda Odyssey had tranny issues some years ago regardless of how well the tranny was maintained with proper Honda or aftermarket ATF.

I do wish these companies would hurry up and fix these tranny problems. I mean, here we buy these really nice vehicles to drive(and they are nice to drive) and one of the most important parts of the car poops out.

Even my wife's '01 Lexus RX(although ours was OK), had a bad reputation for sludging engines and poor reliability for their auto trannys. C'mon!

Any good engineered component will last if maintained and cared for. If one thinks the car can be driven like a race car then obviously it's going to fail - on this forum we can count the number of stories of failed transmissions. More often it is abuse and ignorance that result in these issues - and above all automakers must make it a requirement to replace the fluids with a sensible interval (be it 60K/100K), false documentation of fluids for life is neither helping them nor the customer (I bet most folks would gladly take their investments for a 60K/100K flush in a heart beat).

I agree with this.

Couple that with the fact the CVTs used with Nissan V6 engines are designed to handle having more torque, you tend to see less failures with them vs the 4cyl with CVTs..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back