Subaru cvt fluid change

I have a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek with 29600 miles on her.Love the car and I’m going to buy her after lease ends.The Subaru service for this cvt is to inspect every 30k.How an inspection can determine anything is strande.I’m thinking of changing the fluid every 60k.Even at 120k the fluid might be changed but that might open a bucket of problems.I really think there should be a factory service interval for this cvt that requires a fluid change every 60k.Also a dipstick/external filter would be good to have on the cvt.

Just changed the cvt fluid on my 17 Corolla with 250K. Don't know if the first time it's been done, but the filter was dated 2017. Old fluid was nice and clear but not red anymore. Changed it 3 times with 15 quarts at $8.50 each. At the last drain it looked great.

Transmission fluid.jpg

I personally recommend changing CVT fluid every 35-40,000 miles.

The reason Subaru doesn't have any recommendation if my memory is serving correctly is because Subaru claims it is "lifetime" fluid which is complete BS unless you consider lifetime to be around 100,000 miles when the CVT takes a dump due to not being serviced, but hey you will be long out of warranty before then so the manufacturers don't really care.

You need a flat surface and a scan tool to do the job. You will need either a lift or 4 jack stands. The good news is that the fluid isn't that expensive. Cam2 and Transtar make CVT fluid in the correct green color for your Subaru.

Just me but I moved to 50k for my 17 3.6. I’m not far from 155k when I’m due next. I’ve been very happy with this CVT so far.

mrsubaru1387 on youtube covers all known issues, repairs, and maintenance.

Early this year I owned a high mileage 2011 Outback from 160k-170k until I flipped it. The maintenance records had the valve body replaced the previous year. During my ownership it still had a shudder under hard acceleration, but otherwise was very reliable. I would consider 60k drain/fill for assurance and that is close to a severe duty cycle anyway.

I have a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek with 29600 miles on her.Love the car and I’m going to buy her after lease ends.The Subaru service for this cvt is to inspect every 30k.How an inspection can determine anything is strande.I’m thinking of changing the fluid every 60k.Even at 120k the fluid might be changed but that might open a bucket of problems.I really think there should be a factory service interval for this cvt that requires a fluid change every 60k.Also a dipstick/external filter would be good to have on the cvt.
So as you know, there's no flush with these CVT's, only drop and fills. I follow a couple Subaru techs and they hate that Subaru of America doesn't really recommend CVT fluid changes. The gist of it is change the fluid every 30k miles. If I remember correctly, I believe you're only getting out 25-30% of the fluid. A few years ago, we got a 2015 Outback that had all the other fluids and maintenance done like clockwork but not the CVT. I knew the car wasn't used for towing and that the older couple who had it took great care of it (they were parents of my wife's best friend). I had the first CVT fluid change at 108k miles and the second one at 140k miles. It runs great, doesn't use oil and "shifts" perfectly. I gave it to my son and I bought a new Legacy. I'll follow the same CVT schedule of 30k miles with it. It's like everything else, change the fluids, fluids are cheaper than metal.

I've always wanted to know what the manufacturer means by "inspect transmission fluid"...does that mean send a sample to Blackstone or wipe the dipstick on a piece of paper towel?
LOL no kidding. Our Subarus only have the drain hole and overfill hole. No clue how to "inspect" it other than remove the bolt from the overfill hole and stick your finger in there to make sure the fluid level is acceptable?

I did a drain and fill on my wife's '19 Crosstrek at 40k miles and the fluid looked absolutely perfect. I believe it took about 4.5 quarts and I bought the correct fluid from the dealer. It's relatively expensive but I don't believe a CVT is the place to be mixing fluids.

Specialty tools you'll need are some type of scan tool to read trans temp (I bought an OBD link bluetooth tool) and I'd recommend a fluid pump (Mityvac MVA6851 worked perfect for me).

I'll be sticking to the 40k interval.

Back