2024 Mazda CX-90

Yeah I saw all video. But, all are cranking more power than BMW. I mean, nothing beats ZF8. There isn’t transmission in last 12 years that is on par ZF8, performance and reliability wise. And BMW knows how to transfer hp.
Another thing with I6, they are hard to cool off. I personally would wait a bit before jumping on Mazda. Mercedes and especially BMW are much more experienced in building them.
Still, I like concept. Just to sort out those things and get established a bit.
Meh. Its a late game move and dumb imo. Everyone will be EV by the time Mazda sorts its new ICE engine.

Yeah I saw all video. But, all are cranking more power than BMW. I mean, nothing beats ZF8. There isn’t transmission in last 12 years that is on par ZF8, performance and reliability wise. And BMW knows how to transfer hp.
Another thing with I6, they are hard to cool off. I personally would wait a bit before jumping on Mazda. Mercedes and especially BMW are much more experienced in building them.
Still, I like concept. Just to sort out those things and get established a bit.
Why is an I-6 hard to cool off?

I-6 engines have been around since, well, about 1910. Every US manufacturer had I-6 for decades. Mercedes and BMW had them in everything for decades.

Having owned an MB with the M103 I-6, I can say that there weren’t any cooling problems.

We traded our ‘21 CX-9 in on a ‘24 CX-90 two nights ago so I’ll try to relay some ownership experiences as the miles pile on. Ours is the standard output (non-S) I-6 turbo.

One thing I have noticed is that the most recently built models (ours was manufactured 2 months ago in July) have less clunky transmission and engine tuning. Not BMW B58/ZF8 smooth but no where near as unfinished as cars made more than 2 months ago. I certainly expect to see a ton of software and firmware updates as the months pass.

i can say that the 2 days I’ve commuted with it each trip has been at least 3mpg better than our CX-9 was - 21mpg vs 24mpg on a mix of rural roads and urban streets. Will be interesting to measure this as time goes.

Congrats. What color is that?

Your fuel economy should gradually improve out to around 15000 miles or so. That was my experience.

Why is an I-6 hard to cool off?

I-6 engines have been around since, well, about 1910. Every US manufacturer had I-6 for decades. Mercedes and BMW had them in everything for decades.

Having owned an MB with the M103 I-6, I can say that there weren’t any cooling problems.
5&6 cyl. are hard to cool off and are a strain on the system. I am not saying it is "hard," that there are always issues, but if not executed properly, it will create issues. Add to that the need for higher oil capacity bcs. that. I have no idea what the oil capacity in Mazda.
Considering it is first mazda I6, I would just give it a time.

I wish they had put a '24 X5 in there instead of the '23. The '24 has an updated B58 engine that puts out 40 more horsepower (375) and 68 more pound-feet of torque (398).

We are comparing BMW launches to CX-90 launches now? Seriously, who cares. I would bet the percentages of people cross shopping premium Euro rides with these is pretty small.

Reactions: pbm
Browsed my owners manual last night and found a few interesting finds, one of which I have to assume is a typo.....

US/Canada recommended oil is (of course) API 0W20 with our neighbors to the South and elsewhere being recommended 5W30. "Normal" service is set at 12 months or 10k miles; "Severe" service is set at 6 months or 5K miles.

No recommendation on any sort of transmission, transfer case, or differential servicing. I assume that these are 'sealed' systems according to Mazda for the "lifetime" of the vehicle. With this news transmission I cannot imagine not servicing it at all.

Sparkplugs are set to be replaced every 40k miles on both "normal" and "severe" service schedule.

I cannot imagine this is not a typo: brake fluid is set to be replaced every 2nd OCI service!

Attachments

• IMG_3059.JPG
    IMG_3059.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 16
So expensive battery pack replacement is in the future for both plug-in and regular hybrids...that's part of the reason I would rather a regular hybrid because at least 're-charging' every night isn't necessary.
You do not need to recharge ur phev

Browsed my owners manual last night and found a few interesting finds, one of which I have to assume is a typo.....

US/Canada recommended oil is (of course) API 0W20 with our neighbors to the South and elsewhere being recommended 5W30. "Normal" service is set at 12 months or 10k miles; "Severe" service is set at 6 months or 5K miles.

No recommendation on any sort of transmission, transfer case, or differential servicing. I assume that these are 'sealed' systems according to Mazda for the "lifetime" of the vehicle. With this news transmission I cannot imagine not servicing it at all.

Sparkplugs are set to be replaced every 40k miles on both "normal" and "severe" service schedule.

I cannot imagine this is not a typo: brake fluid is set to be replaced every 2nd OCI service!
The 2 year break fluid service is typical on most euro cars.

The spark plug schedule seems to be going backwards. I wonder what the plugs are?

I’ve heard of the brake fluid replacement schedule.

The spark plug schedule seems to be going backwards. I wonder what the plugs are?

I’ve heard of the brake fluid replacement schedule.
40k miles is the spark plug change interval on the 2.5T engine. Is the new inline 6 turbocharged?

Reactions: Ws6
Here's a thorough review. Sounds like it would be best to wait a year or 2 to buy one.

I rented one of these last week on vacation via Turo. I've owned several Mazdas including my current 6 turbo and I like Mazdas overall, but I was not impressed with the CX-90.

I found the following two statements (I'm paraphrasing) from the powertrain engineer in the above video particularly cringeworthy:
1) 'We designed the transmission without a torque converter to allow it to be skinnier for packaging purposes.' But the center consol is wider than most SUVs with more wasted space, and the under-consol storage is pathetically small (a point made by the critics in the video). So where did the extra packaging volume go???
2) 'We designed the transmission to provide flawless power delivery from a stop.' But this car's transmission had by far the worst low-end power delivery of any car I've driven in a long time. If I didn't come to a complete stop at stop signs, when I pressed the accelerator down again there would be a 1-second complete loss of power before it reengaged. Actually made me a little nervous a couple of times when there was another car coming down the street that didn't have a stop sign. And when I did come to a complete stop, when I pressed the accelerator lightly to accelerate slowly, the ridiculously short 1st gear would change to 2nd in a split second, again interrupting power delivery. It only performed smoothly when I aggressively accelerated from a stop, which very few are going to do in a large crossover like this.

I did notice it had an April '23 build date so it's probably one of the early builds and maybe it hasn't had all the available software updates yet.

Other aspects of the CX-90 I didn't like:
1) Overly harsh and jittery ride over uneven / broken highway surfaces. Worse than my 6 with summer tires.
2) Overly large and underutilized center consol (mentioned above)
3) Grabby brakes - when I was trying to slowly get closer to a wall in a parking garage inch by inch I couldn't do it smoothly
4) The AC button is way on the right (passenger) side of the center stack, beyond even the passenger seat's heated seat button. Relatively minor but I started getting irritated the more I needed to press the button when it warmed up in the afternoon.
5) I don't care for the rear-end styling - looks bulbous and out of proportion to me.
6) Steering is overly heavy at low speeds / in parking lots. Same complaint I have with my 6.

I will say the base turbo 6 is definitely smoother and quieter than the turbo 4 in my Explorer. Though the 310 ft-lbs of torque in my Explorer (RWD) is much more noticeable in everyday driving than the 332 ft-lbs in the CX-90 (AWD). The Explorer just feels quicker in general.

I rented one of these last week on vacation via Turo. I've owned several Mazdas including my current 6 turbo and I like Mazdas overall, but I was not impressed with the CX-90.

I found the following two statements (I'm paraphrasing) from the powertrain engineer in the above video particularly cringeworthy:
1) 'We designed the transmission without a torque converter to allow it to be skinnier for packaging purposes.' But the center consol is wider than most SUVs with more wasted space, and the under-consol storage is pathetically small (a point made by the critics in the video). So where did the extra packaging volume go???
2) 'We designed the transmission to provide flawless power delivery from a stop.' But this car's transmission had by far the worst low-end power delivery of any car I've driven in a long time. If I didn't come to a complete stop at stop signs, when I pressed the accelerator down again there would be a 1-second complete loss of power before it reengaged. Actually made me a little nervous a couple of times when there was another car coming down the street that didn't have a stop sign. And when I did come to a complete stop, when I pressed the accelerator lightly to accelerate slowly, the ridiculously short 1st gear would change to 2nd in a split second, again interrupting power delivery. It only performed smoothly when I aggressively accelerated from a stop, which very few are going to do in a large crossover like this.

I did notice it had an April '23 build date so it's probably one of the early builds and maybe it hasn't had all the available software updates yet.

Other aspects of the CX-90 I didn't like:
1) Overly harsh and jittery ride over uneven / broken highway surfaces. Worse than my 6 with summer tires.
2) Overly large and underutilized center consol (mentioned above)
3) Grabby brakes - when I was trying to slowly get closer to a wall in a parking garage inch by inch I couldn't do it smoothly
4) The AC button is way on the right (passenger) side of the center stack, beyond even the passenger seat's heated seat button. Relatively minor but I started getting irritated the more I needed to press the button when it warmed up in the afternoon.
5) I don't care for the rear-end styling - looks bulbous and out of proportion to me.
6) Steering is overly heavy at low speeds / in parking lots. Same complaint I have with my 6.

I will say the base turbo 6 is definitely smoother and quieter than the turbo 4 in my Explorer. Though the 310 ft-lbs of torque in my Explorer (RWD) is much more noticeable in everyday driving than the 332 ft-lbs in the CX-90 (AWD). The Explorer just feels quicker in general.
I share the same complaint. The lack of slow speed power delivery is really bad.

it's a fantastic vehicle that i can drive with just as much verve as my previously owned Mazda 3 turbo awd sedan 2021. it is only when you are moving extremely slowly you notice you are in a fairly large and heavy vehicle. i did 569 kilometers from Mascouche Montreal to Alma through the Laurentian mountains and i averaged 8,8L to 100km. it has the spirit of a Mazda 3 in a 4888 pounds vehicle. for the price, it is nothing less than a tour de force. and it can turn on a dime too. great steering. and for once the sound system is adequate in a Mazda. suspension is fairly hard and that is the way i like it. stock tires are not that good. i will put Michelin pilot sport 4 Suv on it. love the sound of the big inline 6. it's not a rocket, but it has plenty of power. you never have to push the pedal hard, even in steep mountain roads. it is a compromised vehicle in typical Mazda fashion with less interior space.

it's a fantastic vehicle that i can drive with just as much verve as my previously owned Mazda 3 turbo awd sedan 2021. it is only when you are moving extremely slowly you notice you are in a fairly large and heavy vehicle. i did 569 kilometers from Mascouche Montreal to Alma through the Laurentian mountains and i averaged 8,8L to 100km. it has the spirit of a Mazda 3 in a 4888 pounds vehicle. for the price, it is nothing less than a tour de force. and it can turn on a dime too. great steering. and for once the sound system is adequate in a Mazda. suspension is fairly hard and that is the way i like it. stock tires are not that good. i will put Michelin pilot sport 4 Suv on it. love the sound of the big inline 6. it's not a rocket, but it has plenty of power. you never have to push the pedal hard, even in steep mountain roads. it is a compromised vehicle in typical Mazda fashion with less interior space.
IMO Mazda has always made cars that were more fun to drive than the numbers indicate. That even included the smaller CXs, until I ended up with a CX-90 two weeks ago in Tampa. Sure, it feels tossable, and it was nice and composed on the highway.

However, I don’t think I’ve ever heard an engine as loud as this that felt so flat and uninspiring. It doesn’t reward a heavy foot with either nice sounds or fast acceleration.

But the most unforgivable thing for me (since their smaller CXs are clearly “small”) is that from the outside and the curb weight, you’d be seriously mistaken if you thought you were taking 5 adults anywhere in this thing! With the driver’s seat all the way back, my knees were still bent at about a 40 degree angle, and if I was to sit in back at this point I’d have to splay my legs wide like I was birthing the front seat. I can’t even really say this would be livable if you had small kids, since there’d be no way to use the middle rear seat or the 3rd row if you had two boosters in this thing.

With that being said, nearly $50k for this… I’d rather cram the wife and kids into my 2007 Impreza, since it feels about as spacious on the inside and at least isn’t lying to itself about its size. It’s way smaller than my Ascent, which I definitely consider on the small side for a true 3-row vehicle. If you want zoom zoom on this scale, you may as well buy a 5-yo Odyssey and a Miata.

IMO Mazda has always made cars that were more fun to drive than the numbers indicate. That even included the smaller CXs, until I ended up with a CX-90 two weeks ago in Tampa. Sure, it feels tossable, and it was nice and composed on the highway.

However, I don’t think I’ve ever heard an engine as loud as this that felt so flat and uninspiring. It doesn’t reward a heavy foot with either nice sounds or fast acceleration.

But the most unforgivable thing for me (since their smaller CXs are clearly “small”) is that from the outside and the curb weight, you’d be seriously mistaken if you thought you were taking 5 adults anywhere in this thing! With the driver’s seat all the way back, my knees were still bent at about a 40 degree angle, and if I was to sit in back at this point I’d have to splay my legs wide like I was birthing the front seat. I can’t even really say this would be livable if you had small kids, since there’d be no way to use the middle rear seat or the 3rd row if you had two boosters in this thing.

With that being said, nearly $50k for this… I’d rather cram the wife and kids into my 2007 Impreza, since it feels about as spacious on the inside and at least isn’t lying to itself about its size. It’s way smaller than my Ascent, which I definitely consider on the small side for a true 3-row vehicle. If you want zoom zoom on this scale, you may as well buy a 5-yo Odyssey and a Miata.
I wanted so badly to like that CX90, but it's very expensive for what it can carry, and then the price (60k+). People who have X5's, Range Rovers, Benzes, they likely have another car for hauling passengers if the family is large or they routinely need cargo. Not everyone needs a Tahoe, but that's rather a joke as far as being able to fit things....and the opposite spectrum for cost per size...

engine is not loud in mine. in fact i wished it was a bit more vocal.

Back