2018 Mercedes GLC 300, your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree about getting the MB if that's what she wants. Be sure to get the Anti-Snoot spray and use it often since it wears away quickly.

Originally Posted By: SEBZX79
If that is what she wants get it, I have a 16 C class, 17 x3 35i and a 17 mini clubman s in the driveway and this is after half dozen MB and BMW vehicles with out any issues.
I prefere the BMW but if she wants a MB get it and enjoy it life is to short to be driving a Rav4.

Right, mind as well enjoy it while you can. People also tend to forget that a new MB comes with a 4 year/50k warranty so it's a little longer than a typical American or Japanese car. So everything should be fine for the first 4 years. Like other car makers, first year models tend to have problems, but I think the 2018 is the 3rd year for that body style.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Bunch of German car fear again.

AKA: Sour grapes from people who haven't even sat in the vehicle being discussed...

Fixed many electrical system and problems in German cars as well as done a lot of suspension / sensors etc.
wink.gif

You know, every service department in town seems to be full daily... It's almost like you only see broken cars inside a repair shop.

I do a bit of IT at the local Mercedes dealer. It isn't any busier than any other dealer with similar sales volume. It is however, a really nice dealership and the techs are fantastic. I would not hesitate to own a Mercedes.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
I do a bit of IT at the local Mercedes dealer. It isn't any busier than any other dealer with similar sales volume. It is however, a really nice dealership and the techs are fantastic. I would not hesitate to own a Mercedes.

They don't have the volume that other automakers have so if they are just as busy wouldn't that be a bad thing?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
https://www.google.ca/search?client=oper...-8&oe=UTF-8

Yeah it's just me...

You could do the same search for any manufacturer and get a ton of results, so What's your point?

My point is that what I'm claiming to have seen is what others have seen and not just because I see broken cars frequently.

Every car manufacturer has their issues but it seems that Mercedes of the last decade or so have been extra terrible in repeat problems in the areas I mentioned.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

They don't have the volume that other automakers have so if they are just as busy wouldn't that be a bad thing?

Re-read my comment
wink.gif
I said they aren't any busier than any other dealer with similar volume. My Chrysler dealer is busier, as is my Ford dealer, but they move WAY more product. The Mercedes dealer is comparatively quiet, however, they move significantly less product. Endras BMW is far busier, but I would expect that given their proximity to the 'shwa and their subsequent higher volume.

Phrased differently: The service department of my local Benz dealer is quiet. They are, on a sales/service basis, similar to other marques.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
https://www.google.ca/search?client=oper...-8&oe=UTF-8

Yeah it's just me...

You could do the same search for any manufacturer and get a ton of results, so What's your point?

My point is that what I'm claiming to have seen is what others have seen and not just because I see broken cars frequently.

Every car manufacturer has their issues but it seems that Mercedes of the last decade or so have been extra terrible in repeat problems in the areas I mentioned.

Not really worried about those issues on my E class. Some of those are old problems and some are still current. For rust, a lot of body panels went to aluminum, like I think the trunk, hood and fenders. Many of those other problems are specific to older engines that aren't around anymore. That GLC is now a 4 cylinder turbo. But because it's only a couple years old, who knows what long term problems may result. Crankshaft and camshaft position errors were also common on the M272 engine, but the later years fixed those, haven't had any issues with my 2008, M272 engine I think came out in 2005 but showed up in the 2006 model year. Motor mounts are still an issue, but they're liquid filled mounts and they tend to break and all the fluid leaks out, other cars may just have a solid rubber one so of course that will last longer. The price you pay for the smooth engine. Shouldn't be an issue til well after the warranty is over. Suspension components are just typical wear items, stuff like ball joints, control arms, sway bar links are maintenance items. Airmatic has always been an issue, but that's only on higher end cars and I don't even think it's an option on the GLC. But yeah, I'd stay away from those, factory was about 1k per corner but there were aftermarket parts for $500. But quick struts would normally run you 200-400 anyway. The 5 speed transmission had issues initially, but then they went to a 7 speed and now the GLC has a 9 speed so time will tell. That's the tricky thing with a new car, no idea how it will hold up 5-10 years from now. But if you look at the 2010-2016 E class vs the 2003-2009, they were way better and had fewer problems.

And yes, the MB dealer has a pretty nice service area. The one I go to has a free breakfast/lunch counter, get whatever you want and as many drinks as a convenience store, racks and racks of coolers with all sorts of drinks.

Bringing this one back. First post so hello everyone. 2018 GLC. I do my own maintenance and refuse to pay MB $300. MB's approved oil list (229.5) has a big range 0W-30 to 5W-40. I think 5W-40 would be good because I live in Las Vegas. But I have 10 quarts of approved Mobil 1 5W-30 in the garage. I intend to keep the car until 100K in mileage. Will the 5W-30 be okay in the heat. If I need to go to 5W-40 what brand? Castrol Edge is reasonably price. Mobil 1 only does a 0W-40 now. Thanks.

Last edited:
It won't make any difference as long as it has MB 229.5 approval. The oil has to meet a minimum HTHS and that is what is important, not the specific grade. Any oil with MB 229.5 approval is appropriate for any climate unless you are expecting temperatures below -35F, at which point a 0W would be useful. But there in Las Vegas that makes no difference.

Which 5W-30 Mobil 1 product do you have with MB 229.5 approval?

Originally Posted by CurtC
I see a Mobil 1 FS 5W-30. Is that not the product I have.

Look at the container, it will say "MB-Approval 229.5" on the label if it is approved. The one you linked as approved is not the same as the "Mobil 1 advanced full synthetic" you stated earlier.

Last edited:
Nope. No MB 229.5 approval. That is confusing now isn't it. Thank you for pointing that out.

Yes it can be, I'm not sure the approved product that's listed is even available in the US but it might be.

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 QT carries a 229.3 / 229.5 approval. $25.47 for 5 quarts

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 QT carries a 229.3 / 229.5 approval. $25.47 for 5 quarts

Yep can't go wrong there, or the Mobil 1 0W-40 just down the aisle if they happen to be out of the Castrol product. Either one is a very good oil.

Both also carry Porsche A40 which I'm assuming your Porsche requires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back