Wrong oil in my 2021 MB GLC 300?

My wife’s 2021 MB GLC 300 was purchased new and only serviced by the Mercedes dealership for its annual service. Part of the deal I made when purchasing included the first 3 services.

The owners manual calls for 229.51 spec oil which was used for the first two services. The last oil change was done using 229.5 spec 5w40. Should I be concerned that the spec was not followed? I should mention my wife only drives 8k per year but mostly city driving. We use only top tier 93 octane gasoline.

Seeing that it was done at a Mercedes dealer, I wouldn't worry about.

Your engine will be just fine. The environment however, will be in shambles. 🤭

229.51 has "low levels of Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, and Sulphur." If I understand correctly, it is supposed to be better for the environment, particularly in diesel engines that have a diesel particulate filter.

Does the Owner's Manual call for only 229.51?

My wife’s 2021 MB GLC 300 was purchased new and only serviced by the Mercedes dealership for its annual service. Part of the deal I made when purchasing included the first 3 services.

The owners manual calls for 229.51 spec oil which was used for the first two services. The last oil change was done using 229.5 spec 5w40. Should I be concerned that the spec was not followed? I should mention my wife only drives 8k per year but mostly city driving. We use only top tier 93 octane gasoline.
It's fine.

In the owner's manual the recommended oil(s) are 229.51, 229.52, 229.61 and 229.71
Your engine will be just fine. The environment however, will be in shambles. 🤭

229.51 has "low levels of Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous, and Sulphur." If I understand correctly, it is supposed to be better for the environment, particularly in diesel engines that have a diesel particulate filter.

Does the Owner's Manual call for only 229.51?

In the owner's manual the recommended oil(s) are 229.51, 229.52, 229.61 and 229.71
Those are all low ash oils which are reflective of having ultra-low sulfur gasoline and/or diesel (for diesel engines). Running the higher ash oil (ex, 229.50) for an interval isn't going to cause running problems or have a negative impact on engine longevity. Of course we're all assuming that the dealer did in fact pour 229.50 rather than just being lazy and not creating a new line item for the 229.51 oils.

No worries. MB229.51 is designed for emissions after treatment devices like DPF/GPF which you don’t have.

It’s unlikely a Mercedes Dealer would use the wrong oil, I would be surprised if they used 229.5 as most newer specs where backwards compatible.

I wonder if the Service Department just put the wrong code in?

It’s unlikely a Mercedes Dealer would use the wrong oil, I would be surprised if they used 229.5 as most newer specs where backwards compatible.

I wonder if the Service Department just put the wrong code in?
VW dealerships used VW 502.00 5W40 in cars they required to use VW504.00/507.00 and 508.00/509.00. And some still might do that.

VW dealerships used VW 502.00 5W40 in cars they required to use VW504.00/507.00 and 508.00/509.00. And some still might do that.
Don’t know much about VW dealers.

Audi put the correct 508/509 0w20 in my daughters Q2.

Maybe that’s a thing with less than competent VW Dealers in Notth America?

Probably still think they are servicing some slow revving underpowered V8 that isn’t particularly hard on oil

Don’t know much about VW dealers.

Audi put the correct 508/509 0w20 in my daughters Q2.

Maybe that’s a thing with less than competent VW Dealers in Notth America?

Probably still think they are servicing some slow revving underpowered V8 that isn’t particularly hard on oil
Well, I highly doubt they think they are serving underpowered V8, but VW had three different recommendations for different oils in same vehicles. I think they just started to get recommendations in order in last couple of years. You could find in manual one thing, sticker under the hood another and oil cap having third.

Back