2018 Ford F150 finally recommending 0w oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: My owners manual specifies 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil. Do I really need to use 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil and why did my 2000 model year vehicle require a 5W-30 oil, while the exact same engine in my 2001, 2002 and newer engines "requires" a 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil?

Answer: NO! You do not need to use a 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil. Do not let your dealer scare you by telling you that you have to use 5W-20 oil for your warranty. That is a tactic that some dealerships use to scare customers. Once you know the facts and the Federal Magnusson Moss Act law, you will be much better informed to protect your rights and use the type of fluids you want to use.

The main reason 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) reported to the Federal Government. CAFE is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line. Minimum CAFE levels are specified by the Federal Government. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to continue selling profitable large trucks and SUV's, which typically have poor fuel mileage ratings, as compared to smaller cars, and still meet mandated CAFE requirements, they must also sell enough of the smaller cars which have much better fuel economy ratings to offset the poor fuel economy ratings of the larger vehicles. For model year 2001, the change to a 5W-20 oil will allow Honda and Ford's overall CAFE to increase by a very small amount, typically in the tenths of a mile per gallon range. 5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy. This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average motorist without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment under strictly controlled test track driving when compared to a 5W-30, 10W-30 or a 0W-30 viscosity motor oil.

This was copied and pasted from an Amsoil page.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Soon they rescind that and go back to 5w-30 like they did before would be where the smart money is going.

There's nothing wrong with a 0w-30 in a 5w-30 application, and do note that some 0w-30 options are significantly thicker than some 5w-30 options, particularly the 5w-30 varieties Ford would recommend.

Absolutely. 0W-XX oils are often far superior to 5W blends at op temp. Could care less about starting temp. It's the HTHS at 150*C that counts.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Question: My owners manual specifies 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil. Do I really need to use 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil and why did my 2000 model year vehicle require a 5W-30 oil, while the exact same engine in my 2001, 2002 and newer engines "requires" a 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil?

Answer: NO! You do not need to use a 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil. Do not let your dealer scare you by telling you that you have to use 5W-20 oil for your warranty. That is a tactic that some dealerships use to scare customers. Once you know the facts and the Federal Magnusson Moss Act law, you will be much better informed to protect your rights and use the type of fluids you want to use.

The main reason 5W-20 or 0W-20 oil was specified for your engine is to increase the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) reported to the Federal Government. CAFE is the combined average fuel economy of all of a vehicle manufacturers product line. Minimum CAFE levels are specified by the Federal Government. In order for a vehicle manufacturer to continue selling profitable large trucks and SUV's, which typically have poor fuel mileage ratings, as compared to smaller cars, and still meet mandated CAFE requirements, they must also sell enough of the smaller cars which have much better fuel economy ratings to offset the poor fuel economy ratings of the larger vehicles. For model year 2001, the change to a 5W-20 oil will allow Honda and Ford's overall CAFE to increase by a very small amount, typically in the tenths of a mile per gallon range. 5W-20 oil is a lighter viscosity than a 5W-30 oil and therefore has less internal engine frictional losses, or less drag on the crankshaft, pistons and valvetrain, which in turn promotes increased fuel economy. This increased fuel economy is virtually undetectable to the average motorist without the use of specialized engine monitoring and testing equipment under strictly controlled test track driving when compared to a 5W-30, 10W-30 or a 0W-30 viscosity motor oil.

This was copied and pasted from an Amsoil page.

No it wasn't. STOP doing this!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: advocate
Looking through the 2018 F150 owners manuals I see that Ford finally has a chart for outside temperatures and oil recommendations. Before it was just 5w-20 for the non turbo engines and 5w-30 for the Ecoboost line. Its about time they got with the times and recommended 0 winter oils for their gas engines! Anyone using 0w-20 or 0w-30 in their trucks? 5.0, 3.5, 2.7? I'm considering it for my next change on my 2016 5.0 especially with winter around the corner.

Mine is an 07 engine spec'd 5W30 in its infancy. It was built until 2008. It was back spec'd 5W20 in 2000. But, the tolerances and clearances had never changed in all of its years of production. I have run EVERY weight of oil I have wanted to in this engine without one iota of problems! Well, I just recently started using an OW oil in it, 0W40. And let me tell you, this engine has NEVER run this quiet before! I'm an 0W oil believer from now on.
thumbsup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Absolutely. 0W-XX oils are often far superior to 5W blends at op temp. Could care less about starting temp. It's the HTHS at 150*C that counts.

Of course, parts people, not to mention manual editors, are clueless about the concept. I was told that 0w-40 A3/B4 was too thin for my Audi but a 10w-30 ILSAC would be just fine. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Of course, parts people, not to mention manual editors, are clueless about the concept. I was told that 0w-40 A3/B4 was too thin for my Audi but a 10w-30 ILSAC would be just fine. Go figure.

Hmmmm, makes you wonder if they even know where "THEIR" engine oil dipstick is.
grin.gif

Garak, did you know that the engine in my truck was manufactured in Canada? Is/was it a huge plant?

https://corporate.ford.com/company/plant-detail-pages/essex-engine.html

Yep, Ontario has always had a fair bit of automotive manufacturing, with ups and downs of course. There actually used to be a GM factory in Regina, but that was around 80 years ago or something crazy like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back