2018 Demon - some pics (and yes, it is filthy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Those tires look to have a pretty modest section width. What size are they?

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Unfortunately when I hear Dodge Demon I think of the Dart. The engine dying in left hand turns was the epitome of the 70’s.
The 340 was quite the street contender! Many big blocks go beat by a 340 at a stop light race.

My father told me stories about those 340's showing up big block powered cars. I'm guessing they must have put out quite a bit more HP than they were advertised at.

My parents had a 340 Duster years ago that was ordered with a few extra goodies. Dad still talks about how it gave big blocks trouble going from stop light to stop light.

My mother, a school teacher, used it as a daily driver. I remember it being big, having heavy doors that I couldn't close, and so loud that I would plug my ears. I was 6 when they sold it.

The 68 super stock hemi dart and barraucuda about the same HP and tourque

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: CT8
These muscle cars make the 60s muscle cars look so weak.

But don’t forget classic muscle cars didn’t need help from a supercharger. More computer [censored] to break these days.

To make a streetable 840HP? They most certainly would have. And it still wouldn't have anything close to the refinement of these modern mills.

Probably the most powerful of the available (and it was over the parts counter) engine options in the 1960's was Ford' 427SOHC, which, at 7.0L, was displacing more than any of the modern street HEMI's, forced induction or otherwise. It made 657HP SAE GROSS in dual quad config, which was significantly more than anything else available stock-for-stock. Yes, there were hopped up versions of various engines, including the 494ci TASCA Super BOSS, which ran 11's on the stock rubber, but even that mill, when recently dyno'd, made 735HP, and that was refreshed, with updated modern ignition and a massive Holley Dominator on it.

The 840HP from the Demon is SAE NET. that's full exhaust, accessories...etc. It'll run 9's as pictured in the high 130's, and mid 9's when in full race dress with better fuel at 140Mph+, which is orders of magnitude faster than anything stock from the 60's and even most warmed-over stuff, and this is in a portly car that tips the scales at almost 4,300lbs.

Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Originally Posted By: 02SE

http://bfy.tw/I8CH

You're the real helpful type I see. Yes, I can use Google too..

They LOOK narrower than the size claimed by Dodge. They are a lot narrower than the rear tires tire that came on my SRT GTS. Hence the question to the OP.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
The 68 super stock hemi dart and barraucuda about the same HP and tourque

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: CT8
These muscle cars make the 60s muscle cars look so weak.

But don’t forget classic muscle cars didn’t need help from a supercharger. More computer [censored] to break these days.

To make a streetable 840HP? They most certainly would have. And it still wouldn't have anything close to the refinement of these modern mills.

Probably the most powerful of the available (and it was over the parts counter) engine options in the 1960's was Ford' 427SOHC, which, at 7.0L, was displacing more than any of the modern street HEMI's, forced induction or otherwise. It made 657HP SAE GROSS in dual quad config, which was significantly more than anything else available stock-for-stock. Yes, there were hopped up versions of various engines, including the 494ci TASCA Super BOSS, which ran 11's on the stock rubber, but even that mill, when recently dyno'd, made 735HP, and that was refreshed, with updated modern ignition and a massive Holley Dominator on it.

The 840HP from the Demon is SAE NET. that's full exhaust, accessories...etc. It'll run 9's as pictured in the high 130's, and mid 9's when in full race dress with better fuel at 140Mph+, which is orders of magnitude faster than anything stock from the 60's and even most warmed-over stuff, and this is in a portly car that tips the scales at almost 4,300lbs.

As the 427 Cammer? Yeah, that would be about right, given they were 10-second cars. Of course they were insanely limited production, but the 427 SOHC wasn't a high volume engine either.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
Unfortunately when I hear Dodge Demon I think of the Dart. The engine dying in left hand turns was the epitome of the 70’s.
The 340 was quite the street contender! Many big blocks go beat by a 340 at a stop light race.

My father told me stories about those 340's showing up big block powered cars. I'm guessing they must have put out quite a bit more HP than they were advertised at.

My parents had a 340 Duster years ago that was ordered with a few extra goodies. Dad still talks about how it gave big blocks trouble going from stop light to stop light.

My mother, a school teacher, used it as a daily driver. I remember it being big, having heavy doors that I couldn't close, and so loud that I would plug my ears. I was 6 when they sold it.

My first car at 16 was a Duster 340. I had to rebuild the engine and trans first, with oversight from a skilled Mechanic mentor. A good learning project for a kid. It was a fun car. One I wish I had never sold.

They LOOK narrower than the size claimed by Dodge. They are a lot narrower than the rear tires tire that came on my SRT GTS. Hence the question to the OP.

It may just be the picture, they are 315's.

How did this morph into a mpg thread? At 85 grand and with 840 HP I wouldn’t give a rats patooty about the mpg’s. If it were mine it would be in the garage 90% of the time but when it comes out, it will be beaten like a rented mule!
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: gman2304
How did this morph into a mpg thread? At 85 grand and with 840 HP I wouldn’t give a rats patooty about the mpg’s. If it were mine it would be in the garage 90% of the time but when it comes out, it will be beaten like a rented mule!
cool.gif

It was due to my passing mention of the Trackhawk that I've been pondering, but had been concerned about the mileage.

Not to mention the fact the fuel back in those days was drastically different so not even apples to apples on that part either. 840ish HP on the street in 1969-1970 would have shaken your teeth out of your head with zero creature comforts and it would not have been that "streetable".

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Not to mention the fact the fuel back in those days was drastically different so not even apples to apples on that part either. 840ish HP on the street in 1969-1970 would have shaken your teeth out of your head with zero creature comforts and it would not have been that "streetable".

Not to mention the difference between NET and GROSS, which often isn't factored in when these numbers are compared.

It may just be the picture, they are 315's.

I guess so, because they look narrower than that in the pic. Still, I'm surprised they didn't go wider on the rear.

Thanks for sharing. Awesome car. Way nicer than the Charger. I could never get to admire the 4 door Charger. Four-doors are grocery getters. (No offence to our Aussie buddies).

27.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I could never get to admire the 4 door Charger. Four-doors are grocery getters.
Heh... that is actually what attracted me to it - it is practical with big trunk and plenty of room for 4, yet can be fun.

I guess so, because they look narrower than that in the pic. Still, I'm surprised they didn't go wider on the rear.

They wanted to run the same size front and back, which if you bought the skinnies for the strip, gave you two sets of rears, but also running on the front limits how wide you can go.
Maybe they also want to make sure the tires the weak point in the drive train? Probably with these tires its pretty hard to break anything.
Probably running a square setup helps the car feel decent on the street too, keeps understeer reasonable, and helps it stop! I'm sure lots of owners will have a moment where they find themselves going way faster than they intended and a corner coming up quick.

Thanks for sharing. Awesome car. Way nicer than the Charger. I could never get to admire the 4 door Charger. Four-doors are grocery getters. (No offence to our Aussie buddies).

27.gif

I actually prefer the look of the Charger.

This was true but was party due to the torque curve on the engine and vehicle weight. A 71 340 Dodge Demon had a quarter mile time of 14.56 sec. A 71 Dodge Charger with a 440 had a quarter mile time of 14.5 seconds, so a tuned 340 Demon could beat a 440 Charger.

But to put this all into context, the new Demon can do the quarter in 9.65 sec. To add insult to injury, my 2005 Ford Taurus SE can keep up to a 71 340 Dodge Demon in the 0 to 60. Our memory of the glory years gets a bit foggy with time. They old muscle cars were actually wimpy compared to the modern ones.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I could never get to admire the 4 door Charger. Four-doors are grocery getters.
Heh... that is actually what attracted me to it - it is practical with big trunk and plenty of room for 4, yet can be fun.

+1 Quattro Pete. Able to get a "functional" muscle car for a family. The Charger is a little faster than the Challenger (quarter mile times and top end speed)...not why I got it for the record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back