2018 Chevy Equinox 1.5 turbo oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other threads on the new Equinox are at:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4519647/1
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4656140/1

Originally Posted By: road_rascal
Any particular reason to run a 30W instead of the recommended 0W20? I don't want to run into any warranty problems (if) something happens and Chevy says I used the wrong grade oil. I'm probably going to use either PP or Mobil 1 and the AC Delco filter.

Since Chevy-GM did their durability testing with 0w20 and requires it, its best to stick with 0w20.

Any dexos1 Mobil1 is right for this engine, regardless of whether its the old dexos1 or newer dexos1 Gen2 spec, according to the Equinox owners manual. If its not Mobil1, require the "dexos1 Gen2" on the front label though, important here.

There are many brands and choices of non-Mobil1 dexos1 Gen2 (see front of bottle or jug for the "gen2" text), so you could pick any off the shelf at Walmart, like SuperTech 0w20 dexos1 Gen2 available there.

On the oil filter, I think you are best sticking to an oil filter with a bypass pressure matching the AC-Delco oil PF64 for this engine.
Details on why are at https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/att...f-pf64-pf48.pdf if you want to read it.
In a nutshell, GM wants you to use their bypass pressure psi setting of 22 psi, something very hard to find outside of the PF64, since aftermarket oil filters have around a 15 psi or so bypass pressure threshold.

Since webfors uncovered a torn hole inside a PF64, I would immediately suspect the pleat spacing (root cause) and overall quality is a problem on the PF64. This has plagued many Purolators over the years, so looks like maybe we should avoid the PF64 too.

That means go for a Wix WL10290 or a Fram Racing oil filter HP18, the only ones I know of that have a 22 psi bypass setting we need.
The Hastings LF630 and Baldwin B7422 both have a similar bypass psi of 20 psi, close enough to 22 psi I'd think, so you could use those too.
... amazon.com or ebay or rockauto.com for all those.
We probably should not use a UPF64R since its bypass psi is actually too high at 35 psi!

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
My wifes Malibu has the exact same engine and requires 5w-30 Dexos1 Gen2. Why? Maybe because of the smaller grill causing less cooling airflow thru the radiator. Who knows but I think you could go with 5w-30 as well if you want.
That's not the same engine. A '17 Malibu 1.5T uses the LFV engine, and the '18 Equinox 1.5T uses the LYX engine, different engines. GM says to use 0w20 in the LYX Equinox, and xw30 in the Malibu engine for some reason they have not shared with us. ........ Technically you are right that Mobil1 AFE 0w30 would work well in the Equinox 1.5T LYX engine too, yet I think GM's durability testing using 0w20 is plenty good here in the LYX.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Oil Film, so whats the difference between the 2 engines?
Don't know. The LYX is newer, so maybe next year everything goes to that.
Oddly, the Buick Envision (made in China) has the LFV, while its siblings Terrain and Equinox (Canada or Mexico made) have the LYX.

To further confuse us, the 2018 Malibu, still using the LFV, is spec'ed to use 0w20, not the 5w30 or 0w30 it used in 2017..... The engineers are clearing the LFV in later years to use 0w20, but I've not heard if older LFV can be back-spec'ed to 0w20.

Originally Posted By: nascarnation
First two oil changes on mine (incl tire rotation) were free from Chevy, although my purchase was in CY 2017, not sure if that still applies.

https://www.chevrolet.com/complete-care

I received the same deal. Like I said before, I'll probably change out the factory fill at around 1500-2000 miles, although I'm not sure if I'll have the dealer do it. I'm thinking of using M1 or PP and I'll post a UOA on whatever oil I put in at the 2nd OCI.

Thanks for all the replies!

Originally Posted By: road_rascal

Was that the 3.6? The Saturn Aura I traded had the 3.6 and I never went past 5-6K on oil changes. I read a lot of reports of timing chain failures due to lengthy OCI with that engine.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll probably do the first change at around 1500-2000 miles then at 5K. My wife and I really like this vehicle, and since were 'older folks' our hooligan days are over, but we don't putter along either.

She had the 2.4. Sounded like a thresher. She tried to ignore it until I reminded her that she depends on that vehicle to make the 120-mile round trip to and from town every day without stranding her aside the road. Timing chain & guides were toast.

If anyone is interested, I posted a UOA on a D1G2 5w30, running 94 octane gas for 5k miles and I still got almost 5% fuel in my oil, making it a 20 weight.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4715948/GM_Bulk_D1G2_5w30,_5K_Miles,_2#Post4715948

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back