2018 Camry Recall. Pistons Too Big

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
If the engine is replaced, wouldn’t that diminish the value of the car going forward?

If we were talking about the current value of a mid-year Corvette, this would matter because it wouldn't be a numbers matching car.
When considering a moderately priced family car, I doubt that it would and I'd also doubt that the guy who buys such a car after six or eight years in the original owner's hands will even know.

coffee2.gif

They should bore the cylinders out and let those big pistons breath! a few more horses are not a bad thing.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
I see recalls like this it makes me happy they are admitting their mistakes instead of putting it off as a TSB and have the owners pound sand.

This is a safety issue, so it would never be a TSB. Toyota even mentions possibility of engine seizure while driving, which is never a good thing to happen in terms of safety.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
I see recalls like this it makes me happy they are admitting their mistakes instead of putting it off as a TSB and have the owners pound sand.

This is a safety issue, so it would never be a TSB. Toyota even mentions possibility of engine seizure while driving, which is never a good thing to happen in terms of safety.

Safety issues warrant a recall.

Mechanical issues that don't pose a safety risk are handled through TSB.

Hats off to Toyota for fixing this properly with a new engine, and not pulling a GM and taking the whole thing apart and replacing only one part even though others are likely affected.

how does somebody determine size of piston without removing it from engine? or are they going to use anal probing to go through spark plug hole and read the marking off the piston top? what about all the carbon built on it?

Originally Posted By: Subdued
1730 vehicles.

Less than 0.5% of their total yearly volume.

Big. Freaking. Deal.

Of course it's not a big deal, we're talking about Toyota after all. But when Chrysler had the cylinder head issue with their Pentastar engines, which is reported to also affect less than 1% of engines produced for only certain model years and the warranty was also extended for these engines, it was and still is a huge deal. It is oftentimes mentioned as one of the reasons to avoid Chrysler.

This issue, being Toyota related, is already being spun as being very positive by some.

1730 vehicles.

Big. Freaking. Deal.

+1, agreed. In Japan Toyota builds about 13,400 vehicles per day. So this amounts to just a few hours worth of vehicles. Maybe less than 60 mins. production when factoring in North American production.

Funny this in the children's section:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/en/kids/faq/b/01/03/

Originally Posted By: Vikas
how does somebody determine size of piston without removing it from engine? or are they going to use anal probing to go through spark plug hole and read the marking off the piston top? what about all the carbon built on it?

As part of their quality control process would be my guess. When they pull a vehicle from the line and completely disassemble it checking for things like this. At least that was my understanding when taking a tour of the Camry plant in Kentucky.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
1730 vehicles.

Big. Freaking. Deal.

Of course it's not a big deal, we're talking about Toyota after all. But when Chrysler had the cylinder head issue with their Pentastar engines, which is reported to also affect less than 1% of engines produced for only certain model years and the warranty was also extended for these engines, it was and still is a huge deal. It is oftentimes mentioned as one of the reasons to avoid Chrysler.

This issue, being Toyota related, is already being spun as being very positive by some.

x2, double standards galore!

Do the piston seals with the bore or the compression rings which seals with the bore? I understand smaller piston fiasco but why larger piston is a problem provided they are already in the engine and the engine is already running?

That is why I thought this would be a perfect April Fool's gag.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
1730 vehicles.

Big. Freaking. Deal.

x2, double standards galore!

I have no double standard, check sig.

1730 vehicles.

Big. Freaking. Deal.

In fairness, it is at least the 3rd recall on the 2018 Camry, so its not just 1,730 Camrys recalled. Incorrectly assembled fuel lines and faulty vacuum pumps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back