Toyota recalls 168,000 vehicles, fire risk

Of course, they are boring.
It is not big seller.
That is bcs. except few cars, Toyota conditioned people that they sell boring vehicles, and people go elsewhere to get exciting cars.
They also buy diesels from BMW.
The performance of 3.4TT proved they should stick to BMW when it comes to anything more complex than naturally spirated V6.

Boring translates to dependable for customers. Most people want a dependable vehicle

If you want exciting then bring your wallet.

Boring translates to dependable for customers. Most people want a dependable vehicle

If you want exciting then bring your wallet.
Idk, i had one boring Toyota that exerted more expense alone than all three vehicles combined in my signature. I still have one in Europe that I use for off roading and generally it can do only that.
Dependable is in an eye of beholder. My neighbor has Sienna that I can hear 100 yards away how it is clunking. She says: I never had an issue.
If you don’t fix it, it ain’t broken.

To be fair, Toyota knows their vehicles are boring as hell. Thats why they got BMW to build motors for them and chassis tune and so forth on the cars not meant to die in your sleep in.
Toyota made DOHC inline 6 long before they got involved with BMW the A70 Supra was a wonderful piece of performance engineering as was the 2000 GT and the Turbo MR2 and others. Time to learn a bit of automotive history.

2000gt_ogp_01.jpg

Dependable does not have to be boring. Look the Trans Am is certainly not the pinnacle of automotive excellence that is for sure. Cheap plastic interior, rear diff that is undersized when you start modifying it. What I can tell you is it certainly isn't boring and has been rock solid dependable with very little repair work that wasn't caused by the all the 1/4 mile passes. It is good indication of the beating a simple car can take.

Having said that, just another day in car land. Recall is not a big deal to me. The Caprice had the steering rack replaced under a recall. I can't think of any on the Malibu, the Buick had the recall for the front valve cover replacement to prevent leaks and fires. It is a thing when you make that many cars. No one is immune to it.

Last edited:
I had actually forgotten about the Pinto. Thanks for the reminder.

I had a high school teacher that lost her Pinto, and a fair amount of personal belongings, to a gas tank fire.
My college girlfriend had a Pinto also. It was bright orange oddly enough. Maybe Ford was hoping the flames wouldn't be noticeable!

For many drivers, as long as it goes when the push the gas and slows when they push the brake it's good. Some drivers don't really even care much about the latter.
Yep!
I had failed master cylinder on Sienna. Knew my coworker had same vehicle so went to ask him does he have same symptoms or had (pedal was soft, than normal, no consistency). He said: “yeah, it does same thing.” So I asked, what was the problem?: “nah, it still drives ok. But, it is really great car.”
So, that sums up: “i never had an issue.”

Yep!
I had failed master cylinder on Sienna. Knew my coworker had same vehicle so went to ask him does he have same symptoms or had (pedal was soft, than normal, no consistency). He said: “yeah, it does same thing.” So I asked, what was the problem?: “nah, it still drives ok. But, it is really great car.”

This is why Virginia still has a safety inspection.

Yep!
Certainly goes to show what people will live with or consider an "issue"

Toyota made DOHC inline 6 long before they got involved with BMW the A70 Supra was a wonderful piece of performance engineering as was the 2000 GT and the Turbo MR2 and others. Time to learn a bit of automotive history.

View attachment 180858
Im familiar with them. However, this reminds me of the fat guy struggling up a flight of stairs bellowing, red faced, "When I was in college and played ball!!!..."

Noone cares what they used to be decades ago.

I had actually forgotten about the Pinto. Thanks for the reminder.

I had a high school teacher that lost her Pinto, and a fair amount of personal belongings, to a gas tank fire.
The funny part is that the Cressida/Supra/Celica and Corolla of that era also had the same fuel tank setup as the Pinto.

Back