2017 VW Jetta SE mini review

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Jetta is at the dealership for a sticking ignition tumbler, they are having to keep it until Monday and provided a loaner upon request. It is a 2017 Jetta SE (mid trim level) with only 300 miles on the clock. The current SE uses the new (to the U.S.) 1.4 TSI and 6 speed auto. It comes with lots of nice features that the 2014 SE doesn't have. Extra features include heated seats, sunroof, touch screen interface, push to start, blind spot monitoring, aluminum wheels (no steelies with hub caps), led running lights and updated front facia and tail lights. You get a lot of bang for your buck in the current Jetta.

Driving impressions are positive overall, it handles just like the 2014 in my sig. I did notice the brakes don't bite as hard as the 2014, this could be due to design change or they may still be breaking in. I noticed the transmission seems to disengage at a stop, so when you let off the brake the torque converter re-engages and you lurch forward an inch or so, sometimes it is smoother than others. This is how the 2014 behaved when new, but VW updated the software and it no longer does this (thankfully). It's just not smooth in its execution. Also notable, I didn't feel the familiar grab of the brakes on hills via hill assist. This is a feature on the 2014 that is indeed nice to have in some circumstances, but it is pretty intrusive in others. I guess its possible the 2017 does have hill assist, maybe VW just programmed it to be less noticeable.

As I mentioned earlier, starting in 2016 VW introduced the 1.4 TSI to replace the 2.0 (2.slow) on the Jetta S model. They also ended up replaced the 1.8 TSI on the SE and now reserve that motor for SEL trims only. I heard from various sources that the 1.4 TSI feels the same around town as the 1.8 TSI since they both have 184 Ib feet of torque. Well, I have to disagree. You can tell the difference around town and on the interstate. The 1.4 has to rev out more to keep you going yet feels less powerful, the car ends up changing gears more vs. the 1.8 to keep up. Now, its hardly a slouch. Remember, this is a car that competes with the Corolla and Civic but even equipped with the 1.4 I'd have to say it would take either a Corolla or Civic, although the new Civic with the 1.5 turbo might give it a run for its money. I do like the engine, I found it quiet and smooth and it returns excellent MPG. Having said that, I am glad the 2014 in my sig has the 1.8 TSI, it certainly feels more potent and IMO allows the car to feel a class above what it is.

Something else that may be worth noting was the transmission. Im sure this all has to do with programming as both the 2014 and 2017 use the same unit, but the 2017 does seem to shift smoother. The transmission on the Jetta in my sig does feel a bit clunky at times especially in city driving, the unit on the 2017 was smoother in most situations. It did get confused a couple times and would downshift and quickly rev the engine out even though my throttle input was not asking for that much power. This could be just because the computer was learning a new driver though.

Thats pretty much it, my impressions were very positive. VW offers a lot of features for the money in the current Jetta, this may be due to the fact that the Jetta is due for a refresh and VW doesn't want customers going elsewhere, so they are packing it full of features at a lower price point to keep sales up. Regardless of reason I think its a great car that most certainly should be on your list if you are in the market for a "compact" car. I say "compact" because the Jetta is so spacious, it feels more like a midsize. With that I say goodnight and God bless, hope you enjoy my little review!

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Great review from somebody who owns VWs and is particularly well suited to offer an pertinent comparison. Thanks for your time, enjoyed the review!

It's actually my fiancés but I spend plenty of time behind the wheel.

That mention of the trans disengaging while stop MAKES A LOT OF SENSE now. We have a 2016 1.4T and I thought the trans was slipping. I was ready to bring it to the dealership for a trans flash or inspection.

We were between a Crosstrek, civic turbo sedan and this Jetta. End of the day the Jetta was a LARGE amount cheaper to buy.

I would agree with mostly with everything you stated. Its a good daily for my GF, she is only getting 26mpg with it but all city and lead foot. $500 ecu chip is what i'm going to do once its release and people are speaking highly of it. That should bring the power better then the competition.

We are planing on buying a new VW later this year if they stay cheap. Most likely gonna be a 2017 or 18 Jetta. With a manual tranny. How do you all like the 1.4?

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
We are planing on buying a new VW later this year if they stay cheap. Most likely gonna be a 2017 or 18 Jetta. With a manual tranny. How do you all like the 1.4?

Take this for what its worth, but I have seen too many people over at a popular VW forum having serious issues with their manual transmissions. You will like the 1.4T over the 2.0 in your sig for sure! Much more pep and better fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Take this for what its worth, but I have seen too many people over at a popular VW forum having serious issues with their manual transmissions. You will like the 1.4T over the 2.0 in your sig for sure! Much more pep and better fuel economy.

What kind of problems with there manuals? I dont see how VW could screw something so simple up...

What kind of problems with there manuals? I dont see how VW could screw something so simple up...

Shattered clutch disc's and throw out bearings. Also hard time going into gear etc. What are the chances you will have a problem? Probably very low, it just concerned me seeing numerous reports of issues with the manuals (both 5 and 6 speed units). I mean, its a manual...part of the reason you buy them is because they are harder to break!

Shattered clutch disc's and throw out bearings. Also hard time going into gear etc. What are the chances you will have a problem? Probably very low, it just concerned me seeing numerous reports of issues with the manuals (both 5 and 6 speed units). I mean, its a manual...part of the reason you buy them is because they are harder to break!

Maybe I should just halt and wait for the 2018s then. Maybe new body style?

I don't know if those have a DSG, but my 04' VW did that weird disengaging thing when stopped at a light.

Being a turbo diesel with turbo lag AND the weird disengaging transmission was very nerve racking when I drove it through San Francisco, which is incredibly hilly. When you stop at a light, let up on the brake and give it gas it would roll backwards and I'd panic a bit. Often times squealing the tires giving it gas! Was just really weird.

How was the comfort? I drove a Jetta a couple years ago and the seat bottom was a little too small and the A pillar was really low, I hit my head getting into it. It is a compact car but I didn't have that trouble in the Cruze.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I don't know if those have a DSG, but my 04' VW did that weird disengaging thing when stopped at a light.

Being a turbo diesel with turbo lag AND the weird disengaging transmission was very nerve racking when I drove it through San Francisco, which is incredibly hilly. When you stop at a light, let up on the brake and give it gas it would roll backwards and I'd panic a bit. Often times squealing the tires giving it gas! Was just really weird.

How was the comfort? I drove a Jetta a couple years ago and the seat bottom was a little too small and the A pillar was really low, I hit my head getting into it. It is a compact car but I didn't have that trouble in the Cruze.

I find the MKVI Jetta very comfortable. Plenty of space, comfy seats, and good visibility. No complaints here!

Thanks for the review! Still deciding which new VW I want and the Jetta SE has been under my radar since a dealership has them for around 17 OTD. Seems the 1.4T would be a little bit slower than my 5 banger, but with a tune I'm sure it won't be an issue. I would be buying a manual though; even with the apparent issues of the manual I still think it's better than their automatic and DSG units. I'm also pretty sure the 1.4T uses a timing belt instead of chain, I may be wrong on that.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Thanks for the review! Still deciding which new VW I want and the Jetta SE has been under my radar since a dealership has them for around 17 OTD. Seems the 1.4T would be a little bit slower than my 5 banger, but with a tune I'm sure it won't be an issue. I would be buying a manual though; even with the apparent issues of the manual I still think it's better than their automatic and DSG units. I'm also pretty sure the 1.4T uses a timing belt instead of chain, I may be wrong on that.

Your right, the 1.4 TSI uses a timing belt.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Nick1994 comes into every VW post on here to spew negativity. He's leaving out that he's tall

Last time I looked at a Jetta must have been around 2009...
It was just a bit too tight inside for my very large frame.. chest width, no gut...

I was very impressed as all doors and the trunk shut with bank vault solidity.
Awesome. Are they still like that now?

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
It was just a bit too tight inside for my very large frame.. chest width, no gut...

The MKVI Jetta 2011-present grew in size so you may very well fit inside comfortably. As far as solidity goes I find it feels very sturdy, going over bumps etc produce no rattles or chatter and door / hood / trunk all close with solidity. I can not compare to the previous generation Jetta as I have never been in one.

IMO the MK6 is not the car the MK5 was. The new generation feels solid, but not near as much as the MK5. Drove a '15 back when we were getting rid of the Equinox. and it wasn't bad. The MK6 was cheapened in hopes of better appealing (lower MSRP) to the American buyer. Don't get me wrong it's still a nice car and I'm considering one myself, but it ain't like the old ones.

Thanks Guys
The old ones had the Mercedes feel. I always wanted a VW but get scared off. Plus then I had one dealer in a 50 mile
radius and their reputation was- well you know. Back then you either paid full sticker or went home- sort of like the early Honda years.

Thanks Guys
The old ones had the Mercedes feel. I always wanted a VW but get scared off. Plus then I had one dealer in a 50 mile
radius and their reputation was- well you know. Back then you either paid full sticker or went home- sort of like the early Honda years.

That's why I'm having to drive down to Virginia to look at a couple cars. They are the only dealer to give me an OTD price over the internet. There's one closer in Gaithersburg, MD, but their reputation is meh. Driving 2.5 hours to save 7K in my book is ok. The local dealership is even more laughable.

You looked at a MK5. 2010 was the last year for the MK5, which was a real Euro VW.

The MK6 was a major cost-cutting exercise for VW. It's a cheapened model aimed at the US and China. They made it worse in every way except back seat size. Cheap interior, outdated 2.0 engine brought out of retirement for low-end models, less advanced suspension on most examples.

The MK6 was pretty bad when released in 2011, but they've done a pretty good job of polishing that turd. They've finally updated the engine and suspension on even the low-end ones (I think). The interior is still pretty lame, however.

The next Jetta will be on the MQB platform and should be a lot better, but it's still a ways out for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back