AC Delco Professional Water pump - Year Five

I’m continuing to report on this Made in China water pump. It’s now been in service for five years in my 2005 Ford Taurus. It’s time to change out the Prestone coolant. I have another jug of Prestone on tap. Here are some shots of it when it was new.

2644E83F-A889-4B83-9FAC-CA15CD467D55.jpg

E36244BF-1FA5-4174-A926-2389535D7F72.jpg

E3F113B0-6306-4CE4-A071-C4C3B722EE40.jpg

Water pumps are an item that goes out about one time in a vehicle's lifespan. I'd imagine your Taurus will take this one to its grave.

Each time you post I could post the AC Delco that failed in 4k miles. We'd then be a wash.

You have a sample of one that has lasted 49k. I have a sample of one that failed in 4k.

Sometimes Chinese parts last a long time. Sometimes the sun shines on a canine's posterior.

I'm not sure what any of it proves? I can argue you got lucky. You can argue I was unlucky. Regardless, statistically, Chinese parts are less reliable and most AC Delco is reboxed garbage.

Each time you post I could post the AC Delco that failed in 4k miles. We'd then be a wash.

You have a sample of one that has lasted 49k. I have a sample of one that failed in 4k.

Sometimes Chinese parts last a long time. Sometimes the sun shines on a canine's posterior.

I'm not sure what any of it proves? I can argue you got lucky. You can argue I was unlucky. Regardless, statistically, Chinese parts are less reliable and most AC Delco is reboxed garbage.
To be honest, we would have to look at the date of manufacture. Purchasers of Chinese made parts to distribute in North America have been asking for better quality. Chinese made parts from the 90’s are suspect compared to those made 20 years later. GM is bringing in entire cars manufactured in China. Maybe AC Delco USED to be re-boxed garbage. I remember when Japanese parts were garbage.

To be honest, we would have to look at the date of manufacture. Purchasers of Chinese made parts to distribute in North America have been asking for better quality. Chinese made parts from the 90’s are suspect compared to those made 20 years later. GM is bringing in entire cars manufactured in China. Maybe AC Delco USED to be re-boxed garbage. I remember when Japanese parts were garbage.
ACDelco was exclusively all GM except for things that could fit any car - like filters, batteries, belts and spark plugs. I remember as a kid seeing Delco stuff at K-Mart and installed ACDelco batteries into cars.

I think GM diversified ACDelco to be a one-stop shop for their dealers and mechanics who are on the ACD installer program. After all, GM dealers don’t just sell GM used cars and those need some work done before sale.

FWIW, I installed a Chinese water pump on a friend’s Explorer after a DOA Motorcraft leaked once coolant was filled up. It’s still holding up nearly 10 years later. Some of the Chinesium is decent - people seem to like Rock’s WJB wheel hubs.

Back