Wheel bearing replacement

How many here replace the whole assembly, hub with bearing to avoid hassle.
How many use the old hub and press out and press in bearings? Is there a reason you do this?

The last time I needed to replace a wheel bearing, it was actually part of the brake drum! The drum, hub, and wheel bearing was a whole assembly.

How many here replace the whole assembly, hub with bearing to avoid hassle.
How many use the old hub and press out and press in bearings? Is there a reason you do this?
I would if I had an acetylene torch and press sitting there ready to used in my garage. Seem like you could pay yourself $50+ for a few minutes of work. But I have neither, and cutting a bearing race out of a brake drum with a dremel, was not time well spent, so I get the bearings in hub/drum now....

I do the bearings. But 1 of my vehicles has a sealed bearing so no-go. No particular reason other than I have the tools.

Yeah this is really application specific. Some are unit bearings (effectively non-serviceable), some you replace just a sealed bearing, some you drive out/in races and pack the bearings.

For something like an older Subaru there's really no "complete" unit to buy. You can buy the bearing, or the bearing AND the hub but they're separate and you still press everything together.

What hassle? Every vehicle is different. My 97 Ram 1500 had easy bearings to remove, in fact its required to remove in order to replace the brake discs.

Back