2011 F150 28,114mi 3.5L w/ Kendall FS 5w-30 4736m

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the latest UOA on my Ecoboost. Truck now has 28,114 miles and this OCI had 4736mi. It is less miles than my previous OCIs but it was in the truck since December 2012 and had over 132hrs on this oil. There was a lot of idling and about 1500mi of 4x4 use from winter use. I also pulled a trailer a few times this summer with it. My OLM was 20%. To me the oil held up great even after being completely ruined by this engine. The low flashpoint would point to there being more fuel than reported. This oil starts out at almost 11cST and was down to about an 8. Overall the wear looked great for the use. Theres nothing here thats saying I couldn't have gone longer even though the oil specs were low but yet were better than some of my previous runs. The TBN still had some life left, while the oil had bad specs, it was not condemned yet. Now while I know all of that, emotionally, I don't know if I like the thought of running the oil that long in this engine with it out of specs that long, even though there's not evidence of it hurting anything. I'm not sure if I'll run it down to 20% again. I might just change it out after winter because of all the excess idling and harder use. This does go to show though, even though my miles were less, the hours on the engine were higher so the engine was actually run longer than the previous OCIs.

I also switched out the factory MC air filter with a carquest premium air filter. It was pretty dirty due to road construction close to my house.

The last three are kendall FS and the very first one was MC synblend.

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Good analysis by yourself and I agree with your conclusions.
thumbsup2.gif

That oil really sheared down.

What is your current fill and are you going to run the same oil or considering other options?

Originally Posted By: Turk
Good analysis by yourself and I agree with your conclusions.
thumbsup2.gif

That oil really sheared down.

What is your current fill and are you going to run the same oil or considering other options?

Refilled with more Kendall FS 5w30. However, now I'm out of kendall FS, so I'm debating on getting more Kendall FS or get some Edge EP (Ti). I can get the regular kendall synblend but... I want full synthetic.

Is the copper reading normal for this engine? I agree with your decision to dump it; the TBN was all but done and it had sheared from the fuel quite a bit. Other than the Castrol, any thoughts about other OTC synthetics?

Does Ford allow for 5w-40 in the Ecoboost? I'm wondering what success you would have with Rotella T6.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Does Ford allow for 5w-40 in the Ecoboost? I'm wondering what success you would have with Rotella T6.

This engine in the US is spec'd for 5w30, otherwise its have M1 0w-40

In my opinion another brand would be worth a shot. I am a SOPUS fanboy but I would like to see how the Pennzoil Dexos blend would fare in this engine since many GM engines are turbo or DI or both.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
In my opinion another brand would be worth a shot. I am a SOPUS fanboy but I would like to see how the Pennzoil Dexos blend would fare in this engine since many GM engines are turbo or DI or both.

Kendall exceeds the dexos spec. This oil has held up very well all things considered.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: beast3300

Kendall exceeds the dexos spec. This oil has held up very well all things considered.

Oh, I didn't know that. I agree it held up but I got the feeling you may not have been fully satisfied with the oil.

I agree with your own analysis. Looks like oil did fine despite getting roughed up. I too, would feel better getting fresh oil in there, though you didn't over extend it either.

The mc synblend did great, too. If I'm not mistaken that was 5w20...?

I wonder where so much copper comes from on the ford 3.5 as both the turbo and naturally aspirated show a fair amount in universal averages.

Good job!

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
That ecoboost does a number on oil doesn't it....

Yes it really does. The turbo and DI combination makes for quite the harsh beating on an oil.

Volk, the oil did fine as you said, considering the abuse. At 330 FP, I'm guessing the fuel is greater than 1.3%. Nothing wrong with sticking with the Kendall but I wouldn't go longer than you have been. It would be nice to test out something like a 0w40, but it could create a warranty hassle you don't want to deal with. Perhaps after warranty though, you could experiment?

I seriously doubt you would have a warranty issue using M1 0w40. It would end up a 30grade in 500 miles in the Ecoboost and it meets some of the highest specs in the auto industry. Volk, I would use whatever good (major) syn is on sale. Low NOACK too.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
I seriously doubt you would have a warranty issue using M1 0w40. It would end up a 30grade in 500 miles in the Ecoboost and it meets some of the highest specs in the auto industry. Volk, I would use whatever good (major) syn is on sale. Low NOACK too.

I agree there should be no real issue(mechanically with the oil), but some people don't like going against factory recommendations. I of course don't mind, as I'm running Red Line 0w20 in the Civic. Low Noack is a good idea to
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I agree there should be no real issue(mechanically with the oil), but some people don't like going against factory recommendations. I of course don't mind, as I'm running Red Line 0w20 in the Civic. Low Noack is a good idea to
thumbsup2.gif

Might I ask what you hope to gain from using Redline in your Civic? The NOACK of RL 0w20 is no better than Pennzoil Platinum 0w20. Just want the more robust add-pack? Higher HTHS? More stable viscosity?

Just wondering. I'm generally a fan of Redline oils, I use their 5w30 in my WRX, but I'm not sure there's an advantage in an R18 Civic. I've been using various flavors of 0w20 in my R18 Civic, you can see my UOAs here. Have you done any UOAs with RL 0w20 in your Civic?

Ive concluded that I am switching to Edge Extended Performance. (The new Edge with Ti.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back