2016 Porsche GT3 RS 504Miles OCI

Purchased a 2016 Porsche 911 GT3 RS, serviced at a Porsche Dealership, so I assumed they would of had put in Mobil 1 Euro 0W40 FS, which is factory spec. According to Blackstone, it does not show the same spec's as Mobil 1 Euro.

What oil was this probably? It should be an A40 spec oil.

What else can I glean here? I think it was too short of an OCI to learn much. I switched to Mobil 1 5W50 Euro FS x2.

They had just changed the coolant, and it was low, so glad to see there is none in the oil.

What else can I learn?

Thanks

Screenshot 2023-12-06 184305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
viscosity low for a 40 using it only 500 miles. Wear rates are high b/c it's still breaking-in. With another 20,000 miles or so you should start seeing them go down which is what you'd expect. No coolant issues in oil. Unfortunately, Dealerships are also on the list of suspect places & questionable decisions when it comes to oil they buy for their customers. It's buyer beware so ask ask & ask again what they use before you pay the check. Thanks for sharing.

viscosity low for a 40 using it only 500 miles. Wear rates are high b/c it's still breaking-in. With another 20,000 miles or so you should start seeing them go down which is what you'd expect. No coolant issues in oil. Unfortunately, Dealerships are also on the list of suspect places & questionable decisions when it comes to oil they buy for their customers. It's buyer beware so ask ask & ask again what they use before you pay the check. Thanks for sharing.
There is absolutely nothing to see here on this sample. As for the question over whether or not the fill is M1 it's just as likely that it's the new SP formula and Blackstone doesn't yet have a VOA or the tech misspoke. The difference between SN and SP is in the amount of Mg. SN oils had almost no Mg. An other thing is that the viscosity is on the low end of a 40 grade which is common with an 0w40. IMO you're likely looking at an API SP full saps 0w40.

Fuel is high.
This is probably the new API SP formula.

I did not do a full warm up before this oil change, or a long drive. The car had a lot of short starts during it's shipping process, which I suspected contributed to this.

I found a Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 VOA older SN posted here. It looks similiar, except the Mobil 1 VOA has a lot higher Calcium and Born, slightly higher ZDDP.

Thread of the newer SP version Non Euro thread. Could this be it?

Attachments

• VIRGIN 0W40-201214-page-001.jpg
    VIRGIN 0W40-201214-page-001.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 29
There is absolutely nothing to see here on this sample. As for the question over whether or not the fill is M1 it's just as likely that it's the new SP formula and Blackstone doesn't yet have a VOA or the tech misspoke. The difference between SN and SP is in the amount of Mg. SN oils had almost no Mg. An other thing is that the viscosity is on the low end of a 40 grade which is common with an 0w40. IMO you're likely looking at an API SP full saps 0w40.
I see this Porsche still breaking-in with the higher wear levels. This could be the SP M1 but we just don't know for sure & that's why a person must ask the dealer to get a solid answer.
I found a Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 VOA older SN posted here. It looks similiar, except the Mobil 1 VOA has a lot higher Calcium and Born, slightly higher ZDDP.

It's not matching up exactly but we don't know what lab was used on this one linked SP version.

Depending on the lab it might be. Mg is a lot higher compared to your sample. In any case due to the levels of Mg I'd say you most certainty have a SP version of a 40 grade. It would be kinda funny if the dealership used bottles of both SN and SP 0w40 assuming they don't fill from bulk container. The mix pulled down your concentration of Mg.

I see this Porsche still breaking-in with the higher wear levels. This could be the SP M1 but we just don't know for sure & that's why a person must ask the dealer to get a solid answer.

It's not matching up exactly but we don't know what lab was used on this one linked SP version.

That is exactly why I decided to change the oil. At mininum I was not happy with the Mobil 1 OW40 as there are better options. Worst case is the right oil is was not even in there.

I put in this oil:

But I wish I had put in this one in 5W50:

That is exactly why I decided to change the oil. At mininum I was not happy with the Mobil 1 OW40 as there are better options. Worst case is the right oil is was not even in there.

I put in this oil:

But I wish I had put in this one in 5W50:
You are doing things right to create your own baseline. Keep it up!

You can't make that determination on a 500 mile UOA. Wear spikes early on in the OCI.
Bingo.

I know neither my Accord or M3 are a GT3. However, in the case of the Accord, an oil change requires 4.2qts but full system capacity is 5.6qts. So, after I change the oil, 25% of my old oil still remains in the engine. If it had 12ppm iron on the UOA of the old oil, I have approx 3ppm iron at 0 miles into the new OCI. Could easily have a couple ppm in lab variance. Then add in a couple ppm iron over the first few hundred miles and it’ll appear to be wearing high, when it actually isn’t.

The same goes for my M3. I think an oil change is 9ish quarts and total system capacity is around 11qts since some of it is locked up in the oil cooler.

To the OP, I don’t think you have anything to worry about right now with regards to the UOA. And, if you don’t like the oil you dumped in it, run it for a short while and change it again. Sometimes peace of mind is worth the $100. Haha

And, we will definitely need some pictures of this beautiful machine.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if there was carryover from a different previous oil that is making this oil look different than expected.

Well I know it spikes early in the UOA so as I said you can't make that determination. IOW..wear is not high.
I understand what you're saying & I agree in general BUT this Porche is a very low mileage engine that IS experiencing high wear. Which is something that happens during the break-in process. Put it another way... Do new engines no longer experience high wear for the beginning mileage? Of course they still do. This Porsche is no different.

I understand what you're saying & I agree in general BUT this Porche is a very low mileage engine that IS experiencing high wear. Which is something that happens during the break-in process. Put it another way... Do new engines no longer experience high wear for the beginning mileage? Of course they still do. This Porsche is no different.
Tell us how you know these metals in solution are from wear.

I'm all ears here.

Tell us how you know these metals in solution are from wear.

I'm all ears here.
Tell us how they are not wear metals in solution on this new engine w/only 8,934 miles on it? Again, Do very low mileage engines no longer experience break-in wear? How is it that this Porsche is the exception rather than the rule for break-in wear all of a sudden?

I'm all ears here.

Last edited:
Back