2009 Toyota Camry SE V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently test drove a 2009 Camry SE V6. It was a Barcelona Red Metallic with the Ash Cloth interior. Options included the JBL Audio System with Bluetooth connectivity, moonroof, lip spoiler, wheel locks, mats and the rear bumper applique. MSRP was $28,140, but I could probably purchase it for under $24k given the current market conditions.

The driving experience was fantastic--for a family sedan. The ride is firmer than the LE and XLE models, but it doesn't have the harshness that you'd associate with say, a Honda Civic. There is significantly less body roll in the SE compared to the LE and XLE because of the sport-tuned suspension. The SE also comes with larger (and lower profile) tires which help with handling, but at the expense of road noise. While the road noise wasn't as awful as it is in the Accord, it is more than what a typical Camry buyer would expect. Overall, if I were to purchase the Camry, I would definitely purchase a SE. The other trims deliver too much body roll for my taste.

The vehicle I drove was equipped with the 2GR-FE 3.5L V6. Mated to the U660E six-speed automatic, it is rated at 268HP and 248 ft-lbs of torque on 87 octane under the new SAE testing protocol. I did not experience any transmission flares during the test drive (this has been a common problem with the early Camrys). In fact, I have heard very few complaints about flares with the 2008+ models as Toyota has changed the software. Anyway, the engine is very powerful, probably too powerful for a car of its size. There was lots of power available at under 3000 RPM, so there was no need to rev the engine. Let's just say punching the pedal 1/3 of the way was enough to get me in trouble if I did not keep my eyes on the speedometer. The transmission software is very "aggressive" for a family sedan; the transmission downshifts even during light acceleration! This is probably why I feel this car has too much power--the transmission makes the car too responsive. I found myself in a few situations during the test drive where I was traveling faster than I had intended to, as I was not used to driving a vehicle which accelerated so quickly.

The interior quality of this car is still behind the competition. While the build quality seems to have improved since the 07 launch (e.g. smaller gaps on interior panels), the materials are still of a "Fisher Price" quality. The cloth seats aren't as nice as the ones found in the Accord, and the quality of the leather isn't impressive either. The SE's seat design is better (IMO) than the other trims due to the larger bolsters, but it's still less than ideal. I still prefer larger bolsters, like the ones found on a Celica or an Altima Coupe. The cloth seats don't feel very firm compared to the ones in our Previa, but they are still firmer than the ones in the Saturn. I'm honestly not sure if the cloth seats will be supportive enough for an extended drive. While the quality of the leather is disappointing, I may have to settle for the leather seats as they still feel firmer than the cloth ones. Also, the lack of folding rear seat on the SE trim is a bit disappointing, although the small pass through is probably sufficient for the rare occasions that I carry long items.

Overall, I was very impressed by the powertrain and handling on this car. Lots of power, responsive transmission and decent handling without too much road noise or harshness. However, the rest of the car leaves a lot to be desired, especially in the area of interior quality and seating. In addition, the difficulty of servicing is a concern as I plan to keep it for the long haul. For example, replacing the spark plugs requires manifold removal and replacing the water pump requires engine and transmission removal. I plan to drive the Altima SE 3.5 V6, Malibu LTZ V6 and the Accord EX-L V6 at some point in the future and compare them to the Camry.

Interesting read. I'm not familiar with the '07+ Camrys other than what I have read on the web. I'd be very interested in hearing what you have to say about the Malibu too- I've heard lots of good things.

The Camry SE V6 is a better value as a certified used vehicle for the quality quirks you mentioned Mike. I do like that the chassis can have some fun but can settle down for the daily commute.

I have to wonder about that... given the ridiculous prices that used toyotas and hondas command in the secondary market, there is often little to no discount.

Given how poorly the average person drives, I wouldnt trust the long-term life of an AT that someone may have abused by mashing the go pedal too much - especially if Im paying a high percentge of the as new price...

JMH

Nice commercial!
LOL.gif
j/k

Seriously, it sounds good. Have you considered the Corollas & equivalent with the higher gas mileage?

That V-6 is indeed quick and very responsive. Our '08 RAV4 (5 speed auto) can also get you in a heap of trouble quickly.

RE the Altima-----Which will you drive, the CVT or six speed manual?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I have to wonder about that... given the ridiculous prices that used toyotas and hondas command in the secondary market, there is often little to no discount.

Given how poorly the average person drives, I wouldnt trust the long-term life of an AT that someone may have abused by mashing the go pedal too much - especially if Im paying a high percentge of the as new price...

JMH

Precisely why I bought a Stratus earlier this year. I got a Certified Used 2004 Stratus with 53k miles for $7240. I could never have touched that deal with a similar Camry or Accord. It's tough to justify the price premium, especially considering the Dodge came with an extended warranty at no charge. If I were buying new, foreign cars would start to factor into my consideration.

This is exactly why I would never buy a used Honda or Toyota. They are totally inflated in the secondary market because people believe they are getting deals. Wait for a factory rebate, buy it new and sometimes you end up paying less for a new car. Plus you get the full warranty and get to break it in yourself. Then when you are ready to get rid of it, someone on the secondary market will pay you an arm and a leg for your Toyota or Honda.

JMH

Not that I'd be buying an used one, but this wouldn't be a concern. The most severe service you could put on an AT would be high load, low speed operation. A Camry would not see that type of service.

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
That V-6 is indeed quick and very responsive. Our '08 RAV4 (5 speed auto) can also get you in a heap of trouble quickly.

RE the Altima-----Which will you drive, the CVT or six speed manual?

CVT, unless the salesperson wants to teach me.
wink.gif

I don't know why cars don't have options for engine output. For instance a three position setting normal,economy and performance. the 268 hp could be the performance setting. If you wanted less get up and go you could adjust it.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I don't know why cars don't have options for engine output. For instance a three position setting normal,economy and performance. the 268 hp could be the performance setting. If you wanted less get up and go you could adjust it.

I'm pretty sure you could do that on some of the earlier Saturns.

I'm sure there is a BITOG memeber in northern CA that could teach you how to drive stick shift. If I lived there I could teach you in an hour.
19.gif

I agree that used Hondas a few years old are not a good deal (better to buy new). But at around 5 years old, you can easily find many Hondas that are realistically priced with low mileage. :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:

See also: the Si-Drive system on the new Subaru's.

The BMW M5 has this, you get 400hp or 500hp.

Isn't this basically what a gas pedal is for?

In addition, many cars with auto trannies do have several programs to choose from, such as the ones you mentioned - this affects at what rmps the car changes gears and how much throttle input is needed to force the tranny into downshifting.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I
I agree that used Hondas a few years old are not a good deal (better to buy new). But at around 5 years old, you can easily find many Hondas that are realistically priced with low mileage. :2cents:

In my area (all of these are Honda Certified):

2004 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl w/43k miles - $14,888
2004 Honda Accord EX-L 4 cyl w/48k miles - $17,995
2004 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl w/43k miles - $18,995
2004 Honda Accord EX V6 w/65k miles - $19,900

I got a Certified Used 2004 Dodge Stratus SE 4 cyl with 53k miles for $7240. In the best case scenario, I would be paying double for a used Honda of approximately the same age. There are a lot of things I can do with $7000... including paying for college. And maybe I'll have to shell out for 1 or 2 more repairs over the years, but not $7000 worth.

JMH

While I don't disagree, you should come to Houston. Many are sold at give away prices and are certified used. In Houston, there are many dealers, giving buyers many options whereas, for example, Baton Rouge, is limited on dealer selection, so they can demand a premium price.

Agree about the Interior of Camry. I was seriously considering a Camry Hybrid and while everything works great, the interior is worse than the 95 Corolla I want to replace with this car. Why bother then?

End up paying more and get an IS250 instead, so far happy with the choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back